No announcement yet.

GTX Axle questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did compare, the BG 323 is approximately .2 inches wider. i actually have tracer/323 shafts in my car from an F-series transmission right now.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

good to know, awd Festiva in the future? Maybe.... lol

Comment

That would be sweet, some guy over at FF.com made one with a Pulsar GTI drive train. There is more fab work with a festiva because of the smaller engine bay and almost no current hump to accomodate a drive shaft. Look up EVOGUN on fordfestiva.com, it can be done.
        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use a brake booster and clutch system from a RHD GTX in a LHD car? I need to swap my brake booster if I am going to go with 4 wheel disk brakes, I know that much anyway. I also have a question about the AWD spindles, could you use stock BG struts with AWD Spindles and Hubs? I want to get everything setup and ready to go, I am going to do this over the spring and summer because I can't wait till next year to do it.
          Last edited by nerd racing; 11-26-2007, 02:28 PM. Reason: dunno
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

fwd struts do work, the rears are just stiffer for the extra weight. so if you use stockers your rear will sag. nothing a coilover setup won't fix though.
            I think you can use the RHD booster, afaik its the same as the LHD.
            No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

random question related: do you have any suspension to go in right now? I have springs I want to part with lol. out of an lx auto.
              No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I do not have any suspension right now, I have been working through that in my mind, I may be able to get away with some slick moves and use the aspire suspension with the miata rear, I would be getting much stiffer springs and some Gr2's. The front is still getting worked out as well. Lets just say it will be more clear once I can source spindles, hubs, axles, and the rear suspension. I am not going to get into cutting my car until it gets A LOT warmer...
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Does anyone know what the gear ratio I should use for my rear differential in my swap? What do your cars have for the gear ratio in the rear diff?
                  1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
                    Yes I am, I am in the planning stages of what will hopefully be my senior capstone design project for my BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I am starting out with a 1995 Ford Aspire, which is hardly stock when it comes to the drive train. I've already swapped in an F-series Transmission out of an 88 Mercury Tracer (only had 18K miles and I got it for $50), And it is currently powered by a B8-ME out of a 92 Protege. I have roughly $700 into the car, including what I paid for it. Its like driving a fairly powerful go-kart on the road everyday. I want to do something that will stand out for my senior project and what better than an AWD Aspire? Plus how much of a sleeper would it be to all those unsuspecting honduh drivers that think their cars are hot as hell. :D
                    Well your gonna need to have some turbo power to get away from any honda in a 4wd car. Dont forget the 4wd is a little bit heavier than a fwd car.
                    And the US axles should be the same as the gtx/gtr gear box. Ive had a US trans, gtr-ae trans, and gtx trans in this car at one point using the same axles. Im using gtx axles in the front and stock US in the rear. Also still using the stock US drive shaft.
                    Good luck with your build! I think a fully stock looking 4wd protege would be a better sleeper cause its a sedan.
                    1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TurboProto View Post
                      Well your gonna need to have some turbo power to get away from any honda in a 4wd car.

Good luck with your build! I think a fully stock looking 4wd protege would be a better sleeper cause its a sedan.
                      I totally agree with you about the boost and with the sedan, but in theory the aspire should be faster because its lighter. If you think about it, no one gives the aspire any respect, not even the festiva guys. Plus I just want to be different, and an awd aspire is as unique as they come.

Anyone know what gear ratio the GTX rear end comes with?
                      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

here's a diagram I made from the protege faq. figure it'll help.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
                          I totally agree with you about the boost and with the sedan, but in theory the aspire should be faster because its lighter. If you think about it, no one gives the aspire any respect, not even the festiva guys. Plus I just want to be different, and an awd aspire is as unique as they come.

Anyone know what gear ratio the GTX rear end comes with?
                          Yea a aspire still wont be any lighter than a real 323 gtx. All the 4wd stuff isnt light. Not trying to put you down just giving you some real facts. Also in Europe cause ive seen awd focus, cause there a cosworth model there. And I believe the newer festiva is turbo and can come as awd.
                          1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Almighty4wd.
                            I didnt know that the gtx had a open diff in the rear? Only the GTR came with lsd in the rear diff. What year of miata lsd rear diff will fit our cars? And does it have to come out of a 1.8 miata?

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

90-93 miata rear diff is the same, 6". the 1.8 used a 7", same as the rx7.
                              as for the rear lsd in the GTX, I've seen it quoted that it does. BUT they didn't specify BF or BG. So I think the BF had an LSD while the BG was open. I could be wrong, I'm open to facts.

Comment

The BG 4wd supplement to the FSM for Europe/Austrailia says the turbo hatchback comes with a rear VLSD. Which I take to mean that SOHC 4wd models and turbo sedans do not have it.
                                1990 Protege 4WD
                                GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                                ├┼┤
                                2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
                                X