In car computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still think linux can be faster than winxp
    windows has to load ALL drivers and dll's and what not...
    linux loads only what you need. and besides, it will load much faster on a slower machine compared to loading winxp on that same one...

Comment

Probably not fast enough for me... I want to have DVD navigation and an OBD-II hookup (and maybe other stuff too), and I want to be able to use the 400mhz Celeron processor I have stashed in the cupboard at home. At that speed with that much stuff it'll take too long.

How does clearing the ram in linux work, though? Are you saying that you can cut off power to the computer and when you turn it back on it will be where you left it?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
        How does clearing the ram in linux work, though? Are you saying that you can cut off power to the computer and when you turn it back on it will be where you left it?
        RAM is volatile memory. Once you lose power, RAM gets dumped...
        This would only be possible if the RAM is dumped to the HDD before you lose power (aka hibernation).

Comment

ok i gave up on building a computer and im gonna use my laptop ... building one isnt gonna be worth it, but any ideas for a laptop stand or something so it can sit in the car without looking stupid , i dont wanna just sit it on my seat

Comment

look at this: www.dashpc.com
            just for the heck of it

Comment

so wait if i run linux i can run all those programs and get gps navigation and all that?

Comment

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I'm aiming for sometime down the road... it's been so long since I've used linux though, I going to have to re-learn so much of it. I want to make all of it look like one system, not just looking like opening different programs. Lots of skinning to do!

Comment

I guess...
                  I don't know if the guy wrote the software himself or what... but it looks quite nice. and he's got a full blown PC in his trunk.

Comment

Yep, and they (or something like them) are probably all free too.

Comment

There's a ton of open source software available for linux, I'm sure if the particular ones he's using won't work you'll be able to find something that does.

Comment

w00t im formatting 10 gigs of my laptop right now to run linux ... now i just need to find a way to set it up in my car btw i have a 3rd gen 99 lx ...

Comment

Originally posted by Drackonn
                          w00t im formatting 10 gigs of my laptop right now to run linux ... now i just need to find a way to set it up in my car btw i have a 3rd gen 99 lx ...
                          lol, you changed your mind, eh?

Comment

still gonna use the laptop but since i can get all that navigation software and stuff for linux im gonna run that ... do you think its easy to make something to hold the laptop in the car or do they sell stuff or what?

Comment

Where do you want to put it?

Comment

passenger area ... so i can see it, but i figure at the same time its out of my way there ...

Comment

Working...
                                X