Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New front speakers

Hey guys,
    I'm still running stock front speakers, even though I have a new set of speakers in back and a sub in the trunk. And the really messed up soundstage is starting to get to me, not to mention the lack of highs.

I'm looking to spend around $70 on some new speakers. I have a 200 watt amp kenwood amp that has been just rusing away in the garage that Ill probublly be using.

Now Im thinking of getting a set of Infinity Reference 6802cf , Pioneer TS-A6880R , I have also heard good things about 4 and 5 ways, what do you guys think gimmik or good. I would prefer a set of coaxials.

in my opinion, a good set of 3 ways will handle the job just fine if you're not open to components.. 4 and 5 way.. thats just a waste.. i just don't see it being worth it.

but like everyone, i'd suggest a low cost component option.. and in this case.. it's a 5x7 so you won't have to worry about custom fabrication.. http://search.ebay.com/SPS-571A_W0QQ...titleZSPS-571A

needless to say, i'd be careful of the wattage you throw at any coaxial.. especially those pioneers. speaking from my experiences, pioneer speakers aren't worth the wires you hook them up with. their head units are awesome.. their speakers suck the d*ck.
    kevin

Comment

I don't understand why you replaced the rear speakers and left the factory ones in place. Of course your soundstage will be messed up. I am not utilizing rear speakers at all in my vehicle and a lot of people here aren't either. Your best bet is to do what you are asking about, replace the front speakers and place a small amp on them. If you can afford it, I would get some Alpine Type S components for the front or JL Audio's entry level components. It will be over $70, but not a whole lot more and well worth the investment!
      2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
      KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
      Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
      Groundkit

Comment

well, if you're committed to coaxials.. here are a few options

JL straight coaxes http://search.ebay.com/TR570-cxi_W0Q...QsosortorderZ1

JL braxial/coaxial design with cross over (ie no seperate mounting position for tweeter needed)..althought twice as much
        http://search.ebay.com/xR570-cxi_W0Q...trypageZsearch

or cheap as dirt alpine SPS-570A coaxials
        http://search.ebay.com/SPS-570A_W0QQ...trypageZsearch

i personally have experience with these alpine speakers, they're reliable, sound great, and can handle 100 clean watts with no problem.
        kevin

Comment

A while ago I completly shreaded the rear speakers. This forced me to replace them becuase I wasent about to go without.

Im leaning toward the alpines, Ill probubly order them later tonight.

Comment

Type S may be a very good choice. Audiophiles claim that Alpine's Type S components sound far more superior to their Type R line of components. JL Audio is supposed to have good entry level components, but probably cost more than the Alpines.

Groundkit

Comment

use the appropriate model numbers and use:
              http://www.pricegrabber.com
              http://www.pricescan.com
              http://www.ebay.com

the biggest seperation with those offered on ebay is the simple fact that you must research their shipping charges and their customer feedback.. anything lower than 97% and over 100 orders is risking it.
              kevin

Comment

also, it didn't take an audiophile stance to judge finally, the type-r components ARE pieces of crap. if you don't have trouble mounting them, you'll have trouble listening to them because they're that bad. the concept is a very nice one, but i don't see how alpine ever released such a sub-par product as the type-r 6 1/2 inch component.

Comment

You mentioned soundstage, I assume that means you are a fan of having the sound appear to come from in front of you? I wonder if that is the norm, as I find I much prefer the sound to come from all around me.
                  My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                  JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                  AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

I'm definetly a fan of having sound comming from all around me, like a flood of music. Its just that the sound is mainly comming from the back becuase the speakers are just that much better then stock.

Another thing is when I really need to crank the tunes. It just dosent get loud enough for me, loud and clear that is. As I slowly go more deff, between this stuff and the exhaust.

Comment

I somewhat have the same issue, even though I have upgraded all the way around. I am thinking my next solution is to put 6.5" speakers in the rear doors. Since those are roughly equal with my ears when I am sitting in the car, that should help. I have an unused amp sitting in the garage as well. I just have to buy some wiring and the speakers. I also would like to put some 8"s in the trunk for a little extra oomph when I am listening to The System on XM.
                      My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                      JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                      AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

speakers in the rear door of your sedan is kinda counter intuitive, if you cut the filters higher on your speakers, fill in the low end with a small sub, it doesn't matter how loud you turn it up, it's plenty loud as long as you have them amped .

so in short... amp your speakers, cut the cross-overs up to 90 or 100hz and call it a day, no need to add extra speakers unless you're trying to accomplish more lowend.
                        kevin

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
                          You mentioned soundstage, I assume that means you are a fan of having the sound appear to come from in front of you? I wonder if that is the norm, as I find I much prefer the sound to come from all around me.
                          It's not necessarily bad to have rear speakers if done right. You want to barely hear the rear speakers so that it doesn't take away from the front soundstage. A lot of home theaters have receivers that deliver most power up front (L,R,and Center) and less power to the rear. Although it is different in that movies have 5.1 surround or better and you are watching movies as oppose to listening to music. My Pioneer head unit has a feature where you can cut off highs from the rear so that they get mostly midrange and midbass, thus not taking away from the front soundstage. Every body is different so as long as it is done to your liking, that is the most important thing to do and who cares what others think. Presently I have midbass in the front doors and midrange drivers and tweeters in the kicks. I still have my Bostons and Soundstreams that I could always put in the rear doors and/or rear deck but right now, I like the way my set up sounds.

Groundkit

Comment

The type-r's are a huge piece of ****. They don't fit in anything because they're so deep and on top of that they sound terrible. I sell Alpine at work and I couldn't sell a pair of type-r's to a deaf man. They're that bad.
                            01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by TayTay
                              The type-r's are a huge piece of ****. They don't fit in anything because they're so deep and on top of that they sound terrible. I sell Alpine at work and I couldn't sell a pair of type-r's to a deaf man. They're that bad.

ah, the benefits of a 30 band EQ the tweeters are a bit harsh out of the box, but the mid-range of the 5.25's was pretty decent. but yeah, the motor is huge on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X