Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Intruder
    how far away does your father live?
    My parents live in Charleston. I can do it Sunday. I start my 6 day work week today Gotta make some money so I can go back and get another college degree.
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Comment

I see...
      Now I wanna ask you about your kickpanels. Can you say that the sound is MUCH better compared to having the speakers at the stock locations?

blue, I saw hihoslva's tutorial on fiberglassing, and I saw his 2 subs molded into the side ot the trunk. How good can this setup sound? And why are we making enclosures out of 3/4" MDF and that fiberglass thing is probably not even 1/2". How badly will sound suffer in the name of aesthetics?

Comment

I never had them in the stock position before. I went from stock system to putting in all of my aftermarket stuff in after it sat for over a year collecting dust. I got the kicks from a guy on sounddomain. I do like the sound and the midbass in the doors. I don't even feel that I need rear speakers. Lastly, as much bass coming from the trunk, you should have seen the stock speakers moving in and out like passive radiators. I had them disconnected, but didn't remove them. When my rear deck was removed, you could see them almost blowing out of the rear deck. I never knew it except I was demo"ing" it to Blue LEDz.

Groundkit

Comment

ahh.. too bad you can't do a comparison. because I'm thinking of making some kickpanels, but I don't know if it's gonna make that big of a difference? I wanted to see what someone other than blue has to say.

Comment

ahh.. too bad you can't do a comparison. because I'm thinking of making some kickpanels, but I don't know if it's gonna make that big of a difference? I wanted to see what someone other than blue has to say.

my word isn't good enough?
            lol, j/k

if you've got an automatic, and don't mind giving up the space, kick panels are great, but i'm going to remake mine so they take up less room. i told misterT that i wouldn't make any, cause i like my feet room, and then i go and make some

fiberglassed setups can sound very good. they just cost more and take more time to build. you aren't likely to hear much of a difference in sound between fiberglass and MDF. but i wouldn't recomend doing a fiberglass box in a high pressure system. i can see my brahma just destroying a fiberglass box

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
              i can see my brahma just destroying a fiberglass box
              that's why I made the "3/4" MDF vs. less than 1/2" fiberglass" comment.

well, do you think this one sounds good?
              man, I wish there was a place I could go and listen to all these different setups. I'd like to make a fiberglass enclosure(s) for my subs too.

Comment

well, do you think this one sounds good?
                man, I wish there was a place I could go and listen to all these different setups. I'd like to make a fiberglass enclosure(s) for my subs too.

does it sound good? i'm sure it does. but is the cost and time worth it? to me it's not. fiberglass looks nice, but it's a PITA to calculate volume, which is very important when dealing with ported boxes, like i love

Comment

does it sound good? i'm sure it does. but is the cost and time worth it? to me it's not. fiberglass looks nice, but it's a PITA to calculate volume, which is very important when dealing with ported boxes, like i love
                  it cost him about $150 to make. I find this price acceptable. the question is whether I want to seal my subs or not... misterT is saying his subs sound better now (vented). it's soooo difficult to base decisions on other people's personal preferences...

calculating volume? hihoslva doesn't mention anything about calculating volume?

Comment

it cost him about $150 to make. I find this price acceptable. the question is whether I want to seal my subs or not... misterT is saying his subs sound better now (vented). it's soooo difficult to base decisions on other people's personal preferences...

calculating volume? hihoslva doesn't mention anything about calculating volume?

and a sheet of MDF is $15, screws are $4, and glue is $4. that's $23 for my boxes

vented will give you much better low end response. if you were to put 2 of the 12's in a sealed box, it might get as loud as your single 12 in the vented box, but i still don't think it will be able to pound out the low notes as well.

for calculating volume you can guestimate it, or use packing popcorn. cut a box to the dimensions of 1 cu ft, then fill it with the peanuts to represent 1 cu ft

Comment

screw the fiberglass for now. let's go ahead with the MDF design.
                      do you think we can make the box a little fancier? maybe slant the face or something? you have any ideas? throw them at me.

Comment

screw the fiberglass for now. let's go ahead with the MDF design.
                        do you think we can make the box a little fancier? maybe slant the face or something? you have any ideas? throw them at me.

now you want it all fancy? lol, yeah you can make it fancier, but slanting the face is a PITA when you use slot vents. i could design it so that the vent comes out the bottom, and the face is angled. do you have a table saw? for something like that you'll need something that can make good angle cuts

Comment

If you go with a sealed enclosure, it will sound good, but you just need adequate amount of power to make it hit hard. My problem was partly do to my SoundStream class A amp which was poorly efficient. Although my lights still dim, they don't dim quite as bad and I get more bass before the dimming starts, whereas before, just to start hearing it, the lights would dim. I changed the amp too to a class D amp which helped a bit too. I always liked the sound of a sealed enclosure, but like the ported design for it's efficiency and the added bass. Hiho's box (in the pic you posted) is great in that it takes as little space as possible considering he has a wife and kid and needs the cargo space for storing away miscellaneous items such as baby carriage, etc. It depends on personal preference, design of the box, and what kind of power capabilities you have as far as sealed versus ported. I like the ported too because I am in to SPL as well as SQ. I feel as though I get the best of both worlds. I'll post pics up this Sunday. The boxes aren't carpeted or spray painted, so they still have the naked wood look. Also, my rear deck is still out because it rattled so badly that it sounded like ass. One of these days I'll get around to ordering some sound deadening material to do the entire rear deck so that I can have a cleaner look.

Groundkit

Comment

now you want it all fancy? lol, yeah you can make it fancier, but slanting the face is a PITA when you use slot vents. i could design it so that the vent comes out the bottom, and the face is angled. do you have a table saw? for something like that you'll need something that can make good angle cuts
                            I wanted it to be a little different if possible. If that can't be done I'll stick with the square ****.

Comment

I wanted it to be a little different if possible. If that can't be done I'll stick with the square ****.

you got a table saw, or access to one? i'll see what i can do.

Comment

you got a table saw, or access to one? i'll see what i can do.
                                Let me know what turns out form this. Are you making 2 separate boxes or 1 dual box?
                                I've been debating if I want to make another 2 boxes to put on either side of the trunk instead of the box I've got now.
                                I now have a table saw and a lot more know-how than I did before.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
                                Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
                                I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Working...
                                X