Getting one more e12K.44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probond Gel it is...
    I won't be making a dimming circuit for the CCFLs this time. In fact, they have to be extra bright now.

Comment

can't wait to see the finished product

Comment

Soon...

I remember reading a post of yours in which you were saying that using 10 gauge for speaker wire is BS. I remember you recommended something like 12 gauge or... what? I can't find the thread now. Do I need 10 gauge for the two subs I'm gonna be having? Maybe 10 gauge from the amp to the terminal on the back of the box, and 12 (or whatever you recommend) on the inside of the box - from terminal to drivers.

I have to think about this stuff now, or else I'd be waiting for weeks for stupid things like wires or terminal cups or whatever...

Comment

12 or 14 will be plenty

Comment

For all of it? No need for 10 at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
              For all of it? No need for 10 at all?

basically up to a couple kilo watts, 12 guage is more than enough

This page of the bcae1.com site explains virtually everything that you need to know about wire for car audio applications.

Comment

2003 K series Non-Flat cone e12k

11 1/8" cut out diameter
                Non-flat cone? Why would the flat cone be any different?
                Anyway, what is the cutout diameter for a e12K - that's what I wanna know.

EDIT:
                I was sure eD had no information on their website but I was wrong. Checked for the cutout diamter and it turns out to be:

Mounting Diameter : 11.125" ( 282 mm)
                Last edited by Intruder; 03-03-2004, 01:59 AM.

Comment

I just got an email from eD - delays again.
                  At first it was 2-3 weeks. Then after a week it was still 2-3 weeks.
                  Now, after 3 weeks they still have no idea when they're gonna get the drivers.

Comment

That blows!! I never had a problem waiting for my ED subs to arrive when ordered. I guess they are behind shipping do to production of their flat cones. I read an article (and perhaps you read the same one) about ED discontinuing the flat cones because the company that manufactures it cannot produce enough in time. Sorry to hear about the news. Did you get the Type Rs for the meantime? Maybe you should keep both in case you go without bass do to a blown driver.
                    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                    Groundkit

Comment

I haven't gotten the Type R subs yet. Probably won't happen soon.

I was fully aware that there would be a wait for the 12" K's, but I was told that they will have them in about 2-3 weeks. I ordered mine in January. *looks at calendar* It is March now. And they still have no clue as to when they might be getting them. I'm not pissed or anything. I just wish they said "don't count on it" or "it'll be 3 months" or something like that. Then I would've considered other options.

Comment

They say they're stopping production because they can't produce enough, but the truth is that the damn flat cones just aren't sturdy enough to hold up. They have one of the highest failure rates around from what i've seen and heard.
                        01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by TayTay
                          They say they're stopping production because they can't produce enough, but the truth is that the damn flat cones just aren't sturdy enough to hold up. They have one of the highest failure rates around from what i've seen and heard.

odd, cause i've only heard of one of the flat cone's physically breaking. course i haven't checked out their forum in a while. you sure that isn't just some RE **** talking, cause they are still mad that ED told them to screw themselves cause when RE was making them they had THE highest failure rate? well, destijl engineering, anyways. they make great RE products, but too many of the other subs they assemble have problems, mainly in the spiders comining unglued.

Comment

lol, I might as well go for the Alpine pair.
                            Last edited by Intruder; 03-10-2004, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I'm really starting to wonder if I should screw eD.
                              I'm looking at the Type R subs by Alpine and I see some interesting things. The Xmax for example is advertised to be 27.7mm. Can this be true? The e12K's Xmax is about 16mm.

Also, if I get two Type R subs, should I get DVC 4ohm or DVC 2ohm subs? Two of the 2ohm speakers will have a total load of 2 ohms (2||2 + 2||2 = 2ohms). The 4ohm subs will have a total load of 1ohm (4||4 || 4||4 = 1ohm). At 1ohm I'll be feeding them 1000W RMS while combined the subs are rated at 600W. Is that safe? Any suggestions?

EDIT:
                              Okay, it's confusing... Maxium Excursion should be Xmax, not Xpeak.. whatever...
                              Linear Excursion (X linear) : 13.87mm
                              Maximum Excursion (X peak) : 27.7mm
                              Mechanical Excursion (Peak-to-Peak) : 55mm
                              Last edited by Intruder; 03-10-2004, 06:35 PM.

Comment

xmax is the lower of the 2 excursion figures. one is the mechanical excursion and the other is the electical limitation to excursion that's why a DD sub with 7 mm of xmax (as rated by dumax) can move over 30 mm one way the mechanical limits are generally rather large compared to the electical limits. once you reach the electrical limits, you lose control over the sub. that's why a sub like my brahma or a W7 that is designed for SQ has a mechanical limit just a little bit above the electrical limit. when manufacturers give a peak one way excursion it is usually a mechanical limit. if they actually call it xmax, then it should be the maximum one way excursion limited by both the mechanical and electrical boundaries. peak to peak is just the mechanical figure doubled but trust me, you won't be able to get those type R's moving like my brahma without serious problems

get the dual 4 ohms you don't HAVE to use all that power

Comment

Working...
                                X