Getting one more e12K.44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i get my MDF at home depot. it's probably just more expensive out there

yeah, you can use that stinger block, and a 60 amp fuse on each wire. remember, a fuse will let 2-3 times the rating through for short periods of time.

streetwires stays up to date with the standards for wire size. keep in mind that depending on the amp, and what voltage it's rated at, you'll get more or less current draw. since most amps of decent to high quality are rather underrated, you will get a higher current draw for short periods of a lot of bass. if you keep your amp turned down, then the 4 guage you have should be fine. but don't think that the ED's won't take 550 watts each i've heard of people running 1000 watts to a single 12k

keep in mind that i'm all about safety and upgrading, when i recomend things. once i get certified as an iasca judge, i'll let you know their standards for your amp

here is the xtant calculator as well.

Comment

Alright. Safety first!
      Now, how can I set up my **** so I don't blow up another sub? eD said it's partly their fault because the "whatever" was slightly misaligned, but distortion/clipping + a lot of power could have done the rest. I remember you were supposed to give Rider69 a CD so he can host it somewhere. That didn't happen. Is there another refference for setting up the system?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
        Alright. Safety first!
        Now, how can I set up my **** so I don't blow up another sub? eD said it's partly their fault because the "whatever" was slightly misaligned, but distortion/clipping + a lot of power could have done the rest. I remember you were supposed to give Rider69 a CD so he can host it somewhere. That didn't happen. Is there another refference for setting up the system?

if ED said the sub was misalighned, that's what caused the problem, not distortion and clipping. if it's misaligned, it can mess with the impedance, as well as bottom out one edge. the messed up impeadance could cause your amp to put out more power, from it running a lower load. at least i understand that misalignement can mess with the impedance, but i'm not 100% sure on it. i've never really looked into it, but i remember reading something about it years ago.

i still haven't found that CD but i'm still missing one CD case that could have it in there.

i normally adjust things by ear. and i was almost dead on when compared to adjusting with the CD. for subs, most people can't hear clipping untill it gets to about 9 dB's worth. clipping isn't necessarily a bad thing, like many people say. it's just free power, but if the subs can't handle it, that's when it becomes a bad thing.

Comment

So, how do I adjust my system correctly? Remember, this is my first install EVER and I have no previous experience. What simple steps do I have to follow?

My HU is supposed to have 4V pre-outs. Does that mean that I have to set my amp's input level to 4V? Basically, what must I take into account to ensure I don't blow up anything?

Comment

Can you verify what I'm thinking? Here...
            If my HU is putting out a 4V signal and my sub amp is set to 2V, won't clipping occur? A lot of it? Is that un-safe?

Comment

Can you verify what I'm thinking? Here...
              If my HU is putting out a 4V signal and my sub amp is set to 2V, won't clipping occur? A lot of it? Is that un-safe?

keep in mind that even though your HU says 4 volts, it's probably not putting that out. my JVC puts out about 3.4 when it starts to clip, and at full clipping it's around 4 volts. you DO NOT want clipping from the HU or processors. clipping from the amp just adds to the power output to the sub. basically my HU goes up to 50, and at 45+ is where the RCA output clips. so i adjust everything at a volume of 40. i set the HU at 40, then adjust the gain on the amp, till i hear clipping, then back it off a tad. but since you are over powering the k's, by the time you hear clipping, it could be well into the danger zone for the termal limits of the subs. like with the 18 in my trunk, i'm only running about 1500 watts to it, which is well within it's limits. i can turn up the gain on my amp, and i'll be able to hear the levels of clipping, usually over 9-12 dB's worth. i turn it back to where i can't hear the clipping, usually just under 9 dB's worth, and leave it there. you should turn the gain all the way down, then turn the HU up to the max volume you'd have it at for the regular speakers, then slowly adjust the gain up on the amp, and listen carefully to the subs. if you are reaching the mechanical limits of the subs, or if you go into the severe clipping zone, you will be able to hear it. turn it up to where you are happy, below the limits of the subs, and you should be fine. just don't play sine waves through the subs for minutes on end

if you want to ensure you don't blow anything, leave it as a conversation piece on your coffee table

Comment

You're saying I should use a sine wave to set this up?
                If I use Metallica I will have to turn the gain waaay more than I would have for say... "Blazin Squad - Here 4 One"

Comment

You're saying I should use a sine wave to set this up?
                  If I use Metallica I will have to turn the gain waaay more than I would have for say... "Blazin Squad - Here 4 One"

yes, use a sine wave to set the gain. the gain CD used 100 hz for it. 80 hz will work, if that's as high as the CD you have goes. then play lower, like around 30 hz and below to set the subsonic filter

webpage posted on carsound
                  another page i found on carsound

Comment

breaths out heavily ....

after I get my turbo and rims and alarm.... I am working on my system again (blue will be the man I call for that single woofer box design)..
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

hey blue, do you know what the rating on those knukonceptz wires is?
                      TW, UF, FEPW, RH, RHW, THW, THWN, ZW, THHW, XHHW????

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                        i still haven't found that CD but i'm still missing one CD case that could have it in there.

i normally adjust things by ear. and i was almost dead on when compared to adjusting with the CD.

That isn't the CD you gave me is it? You gave me a couple, one with different sub frequencis and another one with gain controls. If so, I have it in my car and will return it.
                        2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                        KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                        Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                        Groundkit

Comment

w00t, w00t...

Originally posted by Eric Brooks @ eD
                          Martin,

We are hoping to have them [e12K.44] within a week to two weeks now. Please let us know if you have any other questions, and keep in touch for the status.

Eric
                          eD Sales Dept.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
                            That isn't the CD you gave me is it? You gave me a couple, one with different sub frequencis and another one with gain controls. If so, I have it in my car and will return it.

oh ****, that's right, i gave you a copy of that CD. it wouldn't work for you, right? i think i may have burnt it in mp3 format, but i'm not sure. i just remember you couldn't use it. yeah, i'll have to get that back and check it out. thanks for reminding me

Intruder, call knukonceptz

bruce, just let me know. i'm planning a system for one of the guys in the unit that's replacing mine for a single 12 that's going to be awesome. they all heard the 18 and about **** a brick the general description was that it was like diving down 30 ft based on the pressure it puts on your ears and i'm trying to sell it all to one of the new guys. i'll use the money to get the PPI amp that's 1600 watts, which will be sweet for my brahma 10

Comment

Hey guys, I have some Liquid Nails Heavy Duty left over from building the old box. Is this what I'm supposed to be using as glue?

Also, I want to add some CCFLs to the box. Blue, since you're the designer, where would you put a CCFL (or two) without interefering with the acoustic properties of the enclosure?

Comment

Hey guys, I have some Liquid Nails Heavy Duty left over from building the old box. Is this what I'm supposed to be using as glue?

Also, I want to add some CCFLs to the box. Blue, since you're the designer, where would you put a CCFL (or two) without interefering with the acoustic properties of the enclosure?

i'd recomend using real wood glue to assemble the box. probond gel from home depot is my favorite

you can put the the CCFL's a few inches from the port opening on the back wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X