This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome work dan,

it looks like alot more work then i was planning on, but i still have the V6 ich so the my 323 is still going under the knife
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

looking clean
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

It seems like a lot of work, but it wasn't. Would have been easier to do it all at once, but this way worked out too - also, I haven't done anything that hasn't been done before, so nothing new

The best advice I can give is to stay organized and keep good notes. That way you don't get lost or forget to do something that may be critical. You won't be able to rely solely on threads online, so you'll have to learn a bit of the stuff yourself, which is never a bad idea.

As far as the mx3 gauge cluster - it will not fit if you try to put it in as is - for mine, I removed all the mounting 'legs' (small phillips screws), and had to shave a very tiny amount of plastic from the top of it with a dremel. Then I just set it in place of the 323 cluster to see how it fits. Once I had the 3 plugs in the back plugged in, it sat quite well. When I put the front 323 bezel on, the damn thing was actually quite snug in there. It does not move while driving, but when I replace my bezel I'll double sticky tape the bottom part of it just for extra peace of mind.

So basically right now it's just 'in' there, no fasteners. It's held in place from the back by the 3 plugs, and form the front by the bezel. It's not pinched, but it's just right - kind of hard to explain.

Also there are 2 tiny gaps (less than a pinky's width) on either side (left & right) as seen in the pics. Those are not visible in terms of being a nuisance while driving.
        '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
        '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
        10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
        490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

Just to add a correction to something: re: steering column swap with the MX3 tilt unit.

I initially said that you'll need to fab an adapter plate to make it work - it turns out that that plate is a factory thing, and I just forgot to remove it off the donor MX3 - thus when I tried to install it on the pedal bracket it seemed to 'not work' initially. So if you're pulling a tilt column off an mx3, get that small plate with it (the 323 has no plate for the non-tilt column).

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
            awesome work dan,

it looks like alot more work then i was planning on, but i still have the V6 ich so the my 323 is still going under the knife

This video won't help your illness:

A little side project before the drag Probe returns to action. Mazda 323, stock everything except home made cold air intake and Magnaflow muffler. The engi...

It's a decently difficult undertaking, but if you take your time and work dilligently the rewards are just ass-kicking good. After I'm done with the drag car I'll definitely build another one of these. It's just too much fun.

Comment

Everything looks great and clean Dan. I was very curious, what transmission do you run in the probe that has held up? (I know, a little off topic)

Comment

Stock g-series with open diff. They hold up about 6-10 passes.

I'm planning on selling the 323 ZE as a means to raise funds for custom straight cut gearsets in the chase for single digits this summer.

Comment

wow runs nice,take it to the dyno or to the track lets see some 1/4 times.
                  im running 13.7 @102.5mph on street tires
                  94 323 hatch klze 13.0@101mph Slicks
                  91 protege klze 12.9@103mph slicks

Comment

I went to the strip tonight and it went 14.5 @ 97, which is pretty good, given how gingerly I had to get off the line (2.3x short times).

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                      I went to the strip tonight and it went 14.5 @ 97, which is pretty good, given how gingerly I had to get off the line (2.3x short times).

kinda slow,u should be traping at least 100mph on 1/4mile

Comment

it's all in the tires. slicks would help get it over 100mph. but for a fairly stock, I still say that's not bad.
                        No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

mine's stock(klze) and im running 13.7 @ 102.mph on street tires.
                          mods:intake,exhaust,ebay crap headers thats it.

Comment

Originally posted by 323v6pr View Post
                            kinda slow,
                            Highly disagree, for a couple of reasons. The car can run a 14.3 as is - this was my first time out with it and all my 60ft times were above 2.35. Second, adding headers and a test pipe will easily shave another .4-.6 in a car this starved for top end breathing (I'm sure running a 150k mile stock cat isn't helping). So it can go 13s without much work. With slicks, low 13s are a given, and if one were to make a little more effort (say, a 65 or 67mm TB, some Colt cams and a RAM intake), 12s are within reach.

I already decided against headers for emissions and comfort purposes - same with the test pipe. The car moves plenty fast, and I don't really have the desire to go out every week and tweak the launch and practice - I have another car for that purpose.

Comment

get a test pipe man,let that baby breath

Comment

got any 1/4 videos?

Comment