No announcement yet.

How a standalone SHOULDN'T be built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edited to respect the ontopic-ness of this thread (moved to off topic)
    Last edited by FazdaBoy4ever; 01-01-2009, 01:19 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

The intent here is not to bash anyone. I did not post up the assembler of this MS although the name is written on the inside of the enclosure along with a build date. I think there is more to be had from this thread.

First of all, as it was pointed out, the MS unit is a DIY controller and that should be kept in mind. Working in the automotive industry I know the actual design of the MS should be improved to be up to true automotive spec. A MOTEC system is many thousands of dollars and there's a reason for that. On top of this, people assemble these kits themselves or buy them from vendors resulting in higher chances that something is not done right. When units are bought, there is no liability or implied warranty (most of the time at least).

Given these facts, it's up to the buyer to perform some due diligence. If assembling it yourself, follow good practices and if having it done by someone else, discuss what happens in the case of a failed part before purchasing the part. The buyer/seller relationship can then be established and no one feel like they are mistreated. For myself, I follow best practices when assembling, test the unit as configured before shipping it out, and I let the buyer know that I offer full support until the vehicle is running.

With this thread I wanted to raise some awareness about what can go wrong with an MS because it being an electronic part, it's not always obvious. Hopefully this can give people some guidelines on what to look for in terms of quality with the unit no matter who made it. It is up to the builder/buyer to decide what is worth buying and what is not and this is simply marketplace etiquette.

Comment

Wow, if I soldered like that I would get fired from my job.
        Looks like it was done with a $5 soldering iorn and home depot plummers solder.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis View Post
          Wow, if I soldered like that I would get fired from my job.
          Looks like it was done with a $5 soldering iorn and home depot plummers solder.
          a friend of mine insists on using plumers flux on all is solder jobs even when using rosin core solder. I'd get smacked in the bak of the head if i did that in the studio.

its fine for larger guage wire and higher heat, but can contaminate and raise the resistance of smaller joints. also it can inadvertently cause you to make "cold" joints since the solder will flow at a lower base metal temp.

not directed at you denis just adding some constructive info for those who may look at this before deciding to solder their own boards
          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
            not directed at you denis just adding some constructive info for those who may look at this before deciding to solder their own boards
            I like the really thin solder myself. I find it easier to work with when working on electronic componets.

Comment

i generally use .032 for most stuff, nice and thin and very easy to control flow
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I like the .06 / .07 range, but thats just me.

Comment

The MS is not exactly a piece requiring very precise soldering as all components are throughhole so you can get away with coarser solder and a coarser pen but exercising some care goes a long way.
                  Last edited by Lex; 01-11-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I usually buy the thin stuff, rosin core
                    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                    |.....Overnight....................| ||
                    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

I tend to use .030, with C25 shielding gas..

oh wait, that's welding, not soldering. My bad...

--sarge

Comment

I didn't know about any problem with this unit

I have never put duct tape in a megasquirt, NEVER

This unit should have been sent to me.

You guys have no idea how many vb921's ive had to replace for free becuase some dumm ass changed his settings after being told not to. or decided he wanted to burn a new firmware without unplugging his coil.

I'm not really worried about it. I havnt screwd anyone. I solder all my megasquirts the same. There might be some rosin on the bottom of the board I didnt get cleaned that doesnt make it a ****ty job. Since this one was done i invested in a expensive digital temp control soldering iron cost the profits from several units to pay for.

You all might be talking **** now but you'll be digging for wiring information out of my site tomorrow or im'ing me later.

If your upset and think you got a raw deal sorry.

If you all forgot I broke both my hands and still cant close my left index finger all the way. I do the best I can. If its not good enuff go to lex then.

If you all want to buy your megasquirt from lex so be it.
                        eat me

Comment

as hotwheels already mentioned Ive been running my MS1 built by Jacob with NO problems. the cars been going for about 6months now with no issues atleast not related to the MS in any way.

I honestly feel jacob did an awesome job for me and have absolutly no complaints i had some issues getting her going and doubted him after some things i had heard. but in the end everything he did for me was much apreciated and he helped me get my car running and driving...

he built my MS1 with the 4bar map sensor as well as making a PnP harness for me.

i even inspected the entire harness b4 putting it in the car and didnt find a single thing wrong all the joints were soldered strong and like i said

NO issues/complaints here thanks again jacob

Comment

Working...
                          X