No announcement yet.

Is $5000 enough for a GTR swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly, Why buy a GTR motor if your not gonna run that bitch balls to the wall. i think theres 2 ways to go . GTX swap with gtx ecu and quality parts for a good daily driver/racer good for 200 hp. Or GTR motor with a haltech and all the goodeis to push 300 plus whp. If your gonan run the vj-23 atleast run it faster than the vj-20. And yes the GTX is faster than the GTR in stock trim quarter mile

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
      Exactly, Why buy a GTR motor if your not gonna run that bitch balls to the wall. i think theres 2 ways to go . GTX swap with gtx ecu and quality parts for a good daily driver/racer good for 200 hp. Or GTR motor with a haltech and all the goodeis to push 300 plus whp. If your gonan run the vj-23 atleast run it faster than the vj-20. And yes the GTX is faster than the GTR in stock trim quarter mile
      Or BP-DE + T3 turbo + haltech = faster than GTR
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
        WTF you dont NEED a EMS!!

Invest in the GTR/GTX ECU. there 700 bucks at corksport. **** a $1300 EMS! you dont need it unless you are going for a track car.

And what are your plans? FMIC? stock? 180whp? daily driver/ track car???

you got to be more specfic here
        Well that's good until you want more than stock boost...and it's a freaking waste of time to just put in an otherwise stock GTX motor.
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

My plans for the car would be a semi-reliable mid 14 second car (up here at 7800 ft). Id like a FMIC, I have a Pakfeifer (sp) front bumper here that should fit with a lil mods. As far as dropping the engine, my garage is in use right now by my other project car (66 Nova) and I dont want to drop an engine in the street because I live on a pretty busy street, and Im sure my neighbors would call the police on me for some retarded reason, so that would be a bigger hassle. I suppose I could use a friends garage. I think my best bet though would be to get a whole front clip as then I would have just about everything i need including all the little stuff, (oil lines and such). Do they sell GTR front clips?? Are the stock downpipes from a gtx good quality, or would I be better off getting a custom one made. Thanks!
          Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
            My plans for the car would be a semi-reliable mid 14 second car (up here at 7800 ft). Id like a FMIC, I have a Pakfeifer (sp) front bumper here that should fit with a lil mods. As far as dropping the engine, my garage is in use right now by my other project car (66 Nova) and I dont want to drop an engine in the street because I live on a pretty busy street, and Im sure my neighbors would call the police on me for some retarded reason, so that would be a bigger hassle. I suppose I could use a friends garage. I think my best bet though would be to get a whole front clip as then I would have just about everything i need including all the little stuff, (oil lines and such). Do they sell GTR front clips?? Are the stock downpipes from a gtx good quality, or would I be better off getting a custom one made. Thanks!
            I would get a VJ-20 turbo and put it on your existing BP. You can pretty much do my setup with a $5k spending limit... if you don't mess the engine up the first time. Yes I have seen GTR front clips sold before. You would want a custom downpipe IMO. If you have any specific questions about undergoing this particular project just let me know and I'll try to answer them based on my experience.
            -Robert
            '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

don't waste your time with a GTR motor if you only want to run 14s, even at altitude.

get a GTX engine if you're set on swapping a motor...otherwise, buy a manifold and snail and get to work.
              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Ohh, im not saying that I just want to run 14s. I was just using that as reference. Once I start going fast Ill want to go faster. 14 was just a short term goal. If I could Id like to make my car run 10s!! LOL, but thats not daily driver friendly. Im thinking of just using my other BP motor instead of buying a GTR or GTX, i bet I could turbo it for way less that 5k! Where can I get a VJ20 or 23 turbo and manifold from? Corksport?? Thanks!
                Eat ****.

Comment

the propper way to phrase this question is ... Is 5,000 enough to send Bruce ...
                  answer: Yes it is ...
                  I take checks , money order and cash,, no paypal.
                  thanks
                  Bruce
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Ohh, im not saying that I just want to run 14s. I was just using that as reference. Once I start going fast Ill want to go faster. 14 was just a short term goal. If I could Id like to make my car run 10s!! LOL, but thats not daily driver friendly. Im thinking of just using my other BP motor instead of buying a GTR or GTX, i bet I could turbo it for way less that 5k! Where can I get a VJ20 or 23 turbo and manifold from? Corksport?? Thanks!
                    I wouldn't say "way" less.
                    -Robert

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

i agree buy a vj-20 turbo and manifold and put it on your stock motor

Comment

Pick a goal now, or you're going to be buying the same items over and over as you upgrade along.
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

$5000 is enough to build a N/A BP into a 400whp beast.
                          -Braden
                          '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

Originally posted by turboge

Imagine the wheel spin with 400whp

Comment

Give me directions on turning my $5000 into 400whp and I will do it! Serious, what would you recommend getting done????
                              Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by turboge
                                How would one go about doing that??
                                -Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X