No announcement yet.

FSP 1st Gen Protege Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice XelderX! And you get a free PAX speed boost next year. You picked the right year to build an FSP.
    2003 Protege5
    1990 Protege LX (sold)
    1990 Protege DX (sold)
    1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

Man, I meant to get a ton done on the Pro this weekend and I ended up being really lazy. I finished the new brake lines from the master cylinder to the stock proportioning valve. I picked up a set of E30 wheels w/ V700s on them to use for the test and tune events. I also finally got my adjustable cam gears installed as well.

Comment

whats the offset & rim width on the E30 wheels??? those cam gears look mad cheap, & or a factory hack job to get it done... whatever does the job tho
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
          whats the offset & rim width on the E30 wheels??? those cam gears look mad cheap, & or a factory hack job to get it done... whatever does the job tho
          I'll have to check on the E30 wheels. I'm not sure off the top of my head. I bought them from a friend who used them on his Miata. The cam gears cost me about $5 in hardware and 3 hours of my time. They are modified stock gears. I have no idea if they will work or not, but I have 3 more sets of stock gears to play with if there is a problem.

Comment

Hopefully these will be the last pictures of the car this color. I'm taking her to the paint shop on Friday. I've spent the last few days removing lights, scuffing the paint, and taping up the trim.

Comment

Saved those pics^^^ how wide are the front tires again?
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Saved those pics^^^ how wide are the front tires again?

275/35-15.That's me standing beside the car in the first pic. My girlfriend was driving. She is finally getting comfortable with how fast the car can go.

Comment

JEBUS!!! i was looking @ some 275 tires last night & wishing i could fit that.
                  Good to know i can

a GF into cars good catch

Comment

JEBUS!!! i was looking @ some 275 tires last night & wishing i could fit that.
                    Good to know i can

a GF into cars good catch
                    I had to cut about an inch out of the front fenders to help them clear at full compression, but other than that they aren't an issue with the wheel turned at full lock as long as you have the right offset.

Comment

im going to be hitting you up for advice on picking offset when i get myself setup with the FE3 system

Comment

im going to be hitting you up for advice on picking offset when i get myself setup with the FE3 system
                        No problem. My wheels are 6.5" backspacing which was the bare minimum I originally thought I could get away with. It turned out that with that backspacing the Hoosiers rubbed the coilovers a little too much so I added a 1/8" spacer. That fixed the coilover interference, but I then noticed that at full lock the inside of the rim could barely hit the outer tie-rod. that was causing a nasty little gash in the inside of the rims so I went to a 1/4" spacer to clear that. It doesn't appear that I have any issues now except for the tire hitting the inner inner fender near the brake line mount at full lock. I don't really car about that with the Hoosiers since the rubbing is minimal and only for rare moments when I need full steering lock. The Hoosiers being smooth, it doesn't even make any noise. I'm sure if I had a treaded street tire rubbing there the noise would be very annoying. If I were you I would start with a maximum backspacing of 6.25". That should clear everything that matters and you can always add a 1/8" spacer from there if it doesn't clear something. I say that because at 6.25" backspacing my rim to outer tie-rod clearance is only about 2 millimeters at full lock.

Comment

i have the mx3 wider track LCA's & will probalby wind up running Rx7 balljoints as well, that should also help with clearance to the frame area by the brake line.

what does 6.5" backspacing translate into for a MM offset?

Comment

i have the mx3 wider track LCA's & will probalby wind up running Rx7 balljoints as well, that should also help with clearance to the frame area by the brake line.

what does 6.5" backspacing translate into for a MM offset?

With that wide of a track you will probably have to increase the backspacing over what I'm running. I'll have to do the math on the offset of my rims. On an 8" wide rim, 6.5" backspace equals +50mm offset. On a 10" wide rim it's different.

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
                              Hopefully these will be the last pictures of the car this color. I'm taking her to the paint shop on Friday.
                              Color?
                              2003 Protege5
                              1990 Protege LX (sold)
                              1990 Protege DX (sold)
                              1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
                                The cam gears cost me about $5 in hardware and 3 hours of my time.
                                Will you have pics and a write up if this works out?
                                2003 Protege5
                                1990 Protege LX (sold)
                                1990 Protege DX (sold)
                                1992 626 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X