Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
    pics of your progress???

Not much progress right now. I've mostly just been removing things that I will be changing. I'm waiting on a wiring harness to install the motor. I'm trying not to get side tracked on too many things before that happens. The power steering was a to-do item since it was much easier to change things at the rack while the motor is out. Now that I know there is nothing on the rack that needs changing I'm back to getting the motor installed. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow of the PS setup and the front camber plates installed.

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
      Not much progress right now. I've mostly just been removing things that I will be changing. I'm waiting on a wiring harness to install the motor. I'm trying not to get side tracked on too many things before that happens. The power steering was a to-do item since it was much easier to change things at the rack while the motor is out. Now that I know there is nothing on the rack that needs changing I'm back to getting the motor installed. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow of the PS setup and the front camber plates installed.
      what wiring harness do you need?

the 1st gen BP? or the 3rd gen FS?

i make frequent rounds to the junkyard so i can add it to the list
      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
        what wiring harness do you need?

the 1st gen BP? or the 3rd gen FS?

i make frequent rounds to the junkyard so i can add it to the list
        I'll be using the BP harness. There are at least 3 BGs at my local salvage yard. I just need to get by there and pull one of them out.

Comment

Here are a few pictures of the 3rd Gen PS reservoir/pump and the front camber plates mounted in the car. I put in the 3rd Gen strut bar to show that the strut towers are spaced almost exactly like the 3rd Gens.

Comment

This kind of makes me wonder if the subframes are interchangeable. Every day new info comes out that proves these cars are like lego!
            -Dave

Comment

what camber plates are those???
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by superdave View Post
                This kind of makes me wonder if the subframes are interchangeable. Every day new info comes out that proves these cars are like lego!

I can take a closer look at that, but I don't think it will. The firewall setup is completely different with regards to the rear motor mount and the steering rack mounts are different. It may fit, but it would require the modification of serveral other things as well.

Comment

what camber plates are those???
                  AWR Racing

AWR is dedicated to building high quality performance parts for race winning cars, specializing in fabrication, chassis design and building. composite design and forming, aluminum and steel coach work, high performance radiators, racing, race track support, race car retrofitting. Builder of Formula Atlantic rotary engine conversion, Mazda performance parts, Speed World Challenge proteges.

Comment

any updates? specifically with the wiring harness? Wondering what you plan to do to get around the distributor problem. You might be able to downgrade to the probe cylinder head that uses a distributor but I think that might be a big step in the wrong direction.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
                    2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
                    Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by vtec-this View Post
                      any updates? specifically with the wiring harness? Wondering what you plan to do to get around the distributor problem. You might be able to downgrade to the probe cylinder head that uses a distributor but I think that might be a big step in the wrong direction.
                      I'm hoping I can set the Megasquirt up to work with the stock FS-DE coils. I've got a friend in Atlanta that has a Megasquirt on his Miata working with it.

Comment

MS should be able to control the distyless ignition of the FS motor
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

MS should be able to control the distyless ignition of the FS motor
                          Yea. i'll just need to add a few wires to the harness to feed the coil-on-plug setup that the FS uses.

Comment

Just a small update. I think I've solved the power steering setup. I went to the salvage yard and picked up a BG cooling loop. Using the stock hose from the 3rd Gen reservoir and then a stock hardline that is about 5" long I could easily connect the cooling loop to the reservoir. I had to make this work by using unmodified stock parts (from any model Protege) so I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'll snap some photos today while I'm getting the new harness in the car. I also found out that the 3rd Gen EVAP canister (line leads to the purge solenoid valve) and the purge solenoid valve from the 3rd Gen will fit directly into the BG. The solenoid plug looks to be identical. The 3rd Gen canister is much smaller, but the vac line bewtween the solenoid and canister is larger, hence you swap them as a set. I won't be needing any of this though as I'm allowed to remove any emissions related parts. Hopefully, I'll be ready to drop the motor in Friday.

Comment

oh ya I forgot you are using an MS.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
                              2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
                              Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

XelderX- have you found any adjustable shocks?
                                2003 Protege5
                                1990 Protege LX (sold)
                                1990 Protege DX (sold)
                                1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

Working...
                                X