Notes from New Hampshire International Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jho View Post
    What is the entry fee for these kind of races?
    Depends on the location. NHIS is 250, Lime Rock is 325 (track is expensive for the association to rent). The Glen is 260, I think.

I should make clear, though, that these are not races. They are HPDEs (track days). Sure, there's competition, but run groups are based on experience, not car, so you have ridiculous mismatches (I'm often on track with 911 turbos and Lotus Elises, for instance). That's why I was saying you wouldn't have to worry about crashes. Some of the people who show up are licensed race car drivers, and some are there just to try their street cars on the track--but everyone is doing it just for the practice and to have fun.

To do actual road races through the SCCA, you need a competition license and an SCCA-compliant car. Cheapest way is to build your own IT racer (I'm doing this with the Protege over the winter). Then you attend a few SCCA driver's schools, get your novice permit, and enter a few races. After that, you're eligible for your license.

As you can guess, each of those steps costs some money. Once you have the license, race entry fees can be pretty large too. Having the license does allow you to do much cheaper open-lapping sessions though.

The cheapest actual racing I know of (besides autocross, which simply doesn't excite me for some reason) is ice-racing. 20 bucks for the year membership, 40 per race. You will want a beater for that though. Bumping, though discouraged, is inevitable.

Clint
    1994 Mazda Protege DX (261Kmiles): Eibach springs, Tokico struts, Addco sway bars, massively ghetto-fabulous OBX camber bolts set to max. -ve, Energy Suspension LCA bushings, disc brake conversion, Carbotech XP8 (front) and AX6 (rear) pads, ATE Superblue, 15x7 Kazera KZ-M w/ 205/50/15 Avon Tech Ra (track), 15x6 Miata wheels w/ 195/50/15 Hankook Ventus R-S2 (street) and 14" stock wheels w/ Blizzak WS-60 (ice racing), A/C delete, BP swap, POS Pacesetter (w/ leak), 2.25" custom exhaust, cage and full SCCA ITA prep possibly in the works...

1995 3000GT VR-4:Tein Flex, 332mm Stoptechs, manual steering conversion, custom brake lines with cockpit-mounted prop. valve, AWS delete, DSM sidemounts, full ATR single-exit, 13g/9b mismatch w/9psi WG springs, DN o2 housings, SAFC, AEM wideband, much more, etc.

1987 BMW 325is:Bilsteins/H&R Springs, very solid motor mounts, 220k - stodgy daily driver

Comment

Jeez, I didn't know this was so expensive.

I guess I'll just have to watch.

Comment

Working...
      X