No announcement yet.

Mobile 1 synthetic overview.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im not understanding the fact of synetic ...... if it hurts to remove it early like regular oil... then wouldn't it be causing damage to your motor until it fully breaks down???
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Its not that it damages the motor. Its more that by removing the full synthetic oil before it has had a chance to break down and coat the internal parts properly, you are denying the motor its full potential to run at its peak.... Its kind of the same principal behind running medium vs high octane grade gas.... Yes the medium is cheaper, but the high grade will help your motor be at its peak and tends to promote a healthier engine in the future.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

so basically syntetic is the same as regular until it begins to break down... then it becomes better??
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Synthetic is more viscous and is better for cold starts.... Synthetic, from my understanding, coats the engine parts better and provides better protection against wear and in return increases engine life. Synthetic blended oils tend to break down faster and this in turn causes them to not protect the motor as well as they should. The synthetic takes longer to breakdown. During this process varnish and other chemicals in the oil are released. Since the oil takes longer to breakdown more of the desired chemicals are deposited.

Comment

well my motor currently has 5,237 miles.... i've been running regular from 4k on up... and from the factory they run regular as well. what do i have to do to change my motor over to fully synthetic???

Comment

nothing different than an ordinary oil change. Get a good filter and stay away from lucas oil, and castrol syntex... those as discussed in this thread earlier are not actual synthetic oils and got their "synthetic" label through paying off politicans.

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                so basically syntetic is the same as regular until it begins to break down... then it becomes better??
                No, fully synthetic engine oil is superior to any mineral-based engine oil right from the start and continues to maintain that superiority over time and usage. Also, let me correct an erroneous statement that I made earlier in this thread where I stated that Mobil 1 and Amsoil were not fully synthetic oils. I have since learned that I was wrong. Mobil 1 and Amsoil are both fully synthetic oils so if you're looking for the real deal, they'll both fill the bill.

02 DX Millenium Red
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

so now mobil 1 is fully synthetic??? is regular lucas bad to add to regular oil??

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                    so now mobil 1 is fully synthetic??? is regular lucas bad to add to regular oil??
                    Mobil 1 and Amsoil are both full synthetics because they consist of synthesized hydrocarbons derived from Polyalphaolefin (PAO) base stocks. I mistakenly thought the opposite because of my own previously imperfect understanding of the chemistry involved.

Why would you want to add Lucas to a mineral oil? What would be the point or advantage? It seems to me, one should use either a full synthetic oil or a mineral-based oil whatever one's preference. Mixing two different brands or types of oil, even of the same viscosity rating, can result in problems because of possible incompatibility of the additive packages and is therefore best avoided.

02 DX Millenium Red
                    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Damn reading some of your responses make me feel really stupid.

If all this talk of synthetic oil, such as mobil one, is true, I don't see why people wouldn't use the stuff. The benefits seem to outway the cost before I read these articles and responses, so now I will insist on nothing less for my car.

Thanks for the info guys.
                      ED
                      '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                      Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                      WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
                        :If all this talk of synthetic oil, such as mobil one, is true, I don't see why people wouldn't use the stuff. The benefits seem to outway the cost before I read these articles and responses, so now I will insist on nothing less for my car.

Thanks for the info guys.
                        I completely agree with you. The many benefits gained from using synthetic oil make its extra cost worthwhile, IMO. While it's considerably more expensive than a mineral oil, its cost will to some degree be offset by somewhat better fuel mileage, more extended oil change intervals and less engine wear over the long run.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

by lucas.... i meant the additive for mineral oil.... (100% petroleum)

Comment

So this mobil 1 5w30 supersyn formula would be the best for a 159,412 91motor... Im goin to be changin my next week... i want my motor to last a long time...
                            Ratrod

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectProtege
                              So this mobil 1 5w30 supersyn formula would be the best for a 159,412 91motor... Im goin to be changin my next week... i want my motor to last a long time...
                              According to the Mobil 1 website, I believe your best bet would be to use 10W-30 SuperSyn multi-vehicle formula rather than the 5W-30. Mobil recommends the 10W-30 for older, higher-mileage cars and the 5W-30 for newer vehicles. However, in their application guide they do list both these oils as suitable for a 91 Protege. You could also use Red Line 10W-30 or Amsoil.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

I usely use 10w30 gtx high mileage...
                                Ratrod

Comment

Working...
                                X