Mobile 1 synthetic overview.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goldstar
    Good job! How's your car running now? Did you notice a difference before and after the work?
    what he said^^^

Yea the fuel filter can be a little tricky... lscrx did a good write up tho...
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
      what he said^^^

Yea the fuel filter can be a little tricky... lscrx did a good write up tho...
      i had to pull out so much crap to get to my fuel filter why did Mazda put them in such a retarded location?
      '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
      '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
      '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
      '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
      '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
      '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

ya its runs like a champ now... I didnt pull nothing out but the airintake... They did installed in a stupied place... well when my exhault is warmin up a weird smell comes out... My car and werid smells the ac does and now my exhault....hahah
        Ratrod

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectProtege
          Well i did about everything to told me too... I changed out sparksplugs, wires, CHANGED oil, Fluish the Radior, CHanged the rotor withe distributor and bought a new pvc value and CHANGED OUT the FUEL FILTER that was a bitch to do but It all went well...
          Yeah the fuel filter sucks to change out. I was soar the next day cause I had to twist in ways my body didn't like. Maybe the mazda people think the buyers of their cars are yoga masters.
          ED
          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

I've been using the OEM filters. At my last oil change, however, I switched to the Mazda 626 V6 filter. Identical specs as the OEM but ~ 20% larger in volume.

02 DX Millenium Red
            I seem to recall reading somewhere that the oil filter for certain Corvettes will fit, and they are about twice as big.
            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

I'm sure of it now:

Originally posted by Gro Harlem
              Did you know the ZR1 corvette filters fit our engines? Must be some japanese in tehre somewhere if the oil filters are metric.

the filters are huge too. Ppl with the V6's use them b/c it bumps oil pressure up slightly & b/c they are so enormous.

Here's a pic comparison:

From the left: Stock Protege, Stock V6, Honda/Festiva filter, ZR1 filter

All fit all mazda engines
              I'm not sure about putting a Fram oil filter under the hood but the size is what's important for this picture I guess.
              ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

the corvette filter isn't reccomended because it is so large .... a 4cylinder doesn't need that much filtration...
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

its not there for more filtration... but more so for larger oil capacity. Hell, IMO a turbo motor should never be lacking for oil.

Comment

What about oil pressure and using a big ass filter like that
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

A larger oil filter doesnt effect the pressure at which the pump operates, but I see what your saying...

The larger oil filter would be less restrictive and allow more oil to flow through the filter in turn making the pump have a more readily supply of oil. I would assume that there is probably a small drop in pressure, but probably not enough to have an adverse effect on the system.

any fluid dynamics guru's wanna take a stab at it?

Comment

depending on the amount of difference in the overall system, the oil pump could be working harder to maintain a proper oil pressure. But then, I am not a fluids expert... I should ask the wife, she's the engineer.
                        My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                        JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                        AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

If you Love Driving...you will love 'LUCAS'.

I have read a lot of pros and cons about Lucas Oil stabalizer...and one thing I have noticed is that anyone who doesn't reccomend it...hasn't used it. And that all who like it....use it!!! Well I am one who uses it! I have a 2004 Mazda 6 five door with 25,000 miles. Its the four cylinder and I have both loved it and hated it. Hated it because going into an first gear and then reving into second has always been a chore and quite frankly...not a lot of fun. It always seemed as though the gear set up was not supported by enough HP or tourque. I was in the auto parts store several weeks ago and saw the Lucas sitting on the shelf remembering a mechanic telling me a few years ago about how good this stuff was. What he explained that I havn't heard too many people talking about was not its thickness which is what everyone seems to be so afraid of but how the oil stabilizer has more 'Volume' than regular oil!!! If you pick up a bottle of the stuff you will first notice just how light it is. That may explain why it runs cooler...and believe me it does. Since I have been using this product it has all but eliminated the gears 'glogging down' in an effort trying to gasp for more HP. The car is much quicker and all gear changes are much much smoother. I can literally feel the engine giving the gearbox more. I stay in third and fourth much more than I used too because the engine doesn't feel as strained if not at all! 'Lucas' seems to pressurize the cranck case producing more with less effort. I mean if you love driving...you can actually feel the difference!
                          So the bottom line for me is...this stuff is the ****. Lucas Oil Stabililer has made me love driving this car...not just for its handling, but for its quickness...for the very first time. I have yet to read anyone who has said this product has damaged thier car....not one. So if you love driving and want the most out of your car and want to stay out of the dealership getting your car fixed...(no wonder they would tell you not ot use 'Lucas')...give this stuff a try! You will love it!!! I tried other stuff that I won't mention and almost gave up. Lucky me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by csham
                            I have read a lot of pros and cons about Lucas Oil stabalizer... snip ...give this stuff a try! You will love it!!! I tried other stuff that I won't mention and almost gave up. Lucky me!!!

At first I thought you were selling the product you seem soo enthuisastic (sp?).
                            Were you using a full synthetic motor oil on the 6 when you were having problems?

Alot of the symptoms you describe are transmission related, and an oil additive will not make them go away. Also, a different oil will not add any performance to your car. Granted it could be sluggish from *not* having a regularly scheduled maintenance, but adding an oil additive like Lucas will not result in added power.
                            More than likely this is the feel of the buttDyno, and an increase in BuHP. BuHp (butt horsepower) is brought on by the effect that you added something and bought the marketing behind it. Since you spent the money on it, it must do as the advertising suggests.

I used to work for a SCCA competitor that ran in the Miata A-spec class, and in a few other races, and he gave up on the Lucas line of products after no additional benefit was found after an engine was rebuilt. He would rebuild motors every 20k to keep them fresh, and the Lucas made no difference in the few that he had me work on.

Welcome to our club btw. Any pics of your 6?

Comment

I agree completely with everything D323 just wrote. If you go to the Lucas website www.lucasoil.com and read their material, you might conclude that Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer is some kind of miracle fluid capable of solving every lubrication-related mechanical problem known to man.

Lucas characterizes this product as "a pure petroleum multi-use oil supplement. Controls noise, heat and wear in manual transmissions and differentials." They go on to say, "Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear in any type of engine. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in gear oil to stop leaks, reduce operating temperatures and incease the life of the gear oil. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. It keeps old engines alive and new engines new."

Well, it's good to know that Lucas is a "pure" (as opposed to an "impure"?) petroleum product as no one would want to put a corrupted or unclean product in their Protege. We're all aware that the constituents of and requirements for engine as opposed to transmission oils are somewhat different, and in some cases incompatible with each other, and one usually cannot be substituted for the other. Yet, Lucas claims their stabilizer is suitable for improving lubrication in both environments. I somehow doubt that an additive designed to improve the extreme pressure qualities and desired slipperiness for synchro engagement of a transmission oil can at the same time be optimized for improving the quality of an engine oil.

While it's certainly true that Lucas additive can blend with synthetics, why would anyone want to? Blending the two would dilute the synthetic and remove from it some or most of the qualities that make it superior to mineral oil in the first place. In effect, adding Lucas to a synthetic first degrades the oil but then more than more than makes up for the degradation by adding to the mix the magical properties of Lucas MINERAL oil? Not bloody likely. Additionally, we're all aware that all brands of oil specifically warn against mixing in other types of additives as they may be incompatible with those already in there and can consequently be problematic. All brands of oil, mineral or synthetic, have their own individual additive package to begin with.

Lucas states that their stabilizer will stop leaks. If that's the case it may be nothing more than a viscosity improver that reduces oil loss but may reduce oil flow at lower temperatures which is not necessarily a good thing.

Lucas also makes, Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer that can be used in place of their regular Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. Since Lucas provides no information as to its constituent base stocks, just how pure or true a synthetic oil additive this product really is lies purely within the realm of our imaginations.

But wait, I've saved the best for last. You don't even have to wait for a specific amount of wear to occur before you start using Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Lucas uses it in brand new engines. They recommend one quart of stabilizer be added each time the oil is changed. They state that you can "go at least 50% longer between oil changes and your engine will last much, much longer."

If you've read the foregoing, I think you, too, will agree that Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer truly is a miracle fluid. Or perhaps it should be renamed Lucas Heavy Duty Snake Oil Stabilizer. As Fox news says,I report, you decide.

One thing that Lucas says I believe to be true, however. It does allow a higher degree of lubricity. In this case the lubricity of your wallet as you note how smoothly and friction-free your money passes from it as you purchase their stabilizer.

Happy Motoring!
                              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I agree completely with everything D323 just wrote. If you go to the Lucas website www.lucasoil.com and read their material, you might conclude that Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer is some kind of miracle fluid capable of solving every lubrication-related mechanical problem known to man.

Lucas characterizes this product as "a pure petroleum multi-use oil supplement. Controls noise, heat and wear in manual transmissions and differentials." They go on to say, "Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear in any type of engine. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in gear oil to stop leaks, reduce operating temperatures and incease the life of the gear oil. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. It keeps old engines alive and new engines new."

Well, it's good to know that Lucas is a "pure" (as opposed to an "impure"?) petroleum product as no one would want to put a corrupted or unclean product in their Protege. We're all aware that the constituents of and requirements for engine as opposed to transmission oils are somewhat different, and in some cases incompatible with each other, and one usually cannot be substituted for the other. Yet, Lucas claims their stabilizer is suitable for improving lubrication in both environments. I somehow doubt that an additive designed to improve the extreme pressure qualities and desired slipperiness for synchro engagement of a transmission oil can at the same time be optimized for improving the quality of an engine oil.

While it's certainly true that Lucas additive can blend with synthetics, why would anyone want to? Blending the two would dilute the synthetic and remove from it some or most of the qualities that make it superior to mineral oil in the first place. In effect, adding Lucas to a synthetic first degrades the oil but then more than more than makes up for the degradation by adding to the mix the magical properties of Lucas MINERAL oil? Not bloody likely. Additionally, we're all aware that all brands of oil specifically warn against mixing in other types of additives as they may be incompatible with those already in there and can consequently be problematic. All brands of oil, mineral or synthetic, have their own individual additive package to begin with.

Lucas states that their stabilizer will stop leaks. If that's the case it may be nothing more than a viscosity improver that reduces oil loss but may reduce oil flow at lower temperatures which is not necessarily a good thing.

Lucas also makes, Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer that can be used in place of their regular Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. Since Lucas provides no information as to its constituent base stocks, just how pure or true a synthetic oil additive this product really is lies purely within the realm of our imaginations.

But wait, I've saved the best for last. You don't even have to wait for a specific amount of wear to occur before you start using Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Lucas uses it in brand new engines. They recommend one quart of stabilizer be added each time the oil is changed. They state that you can "go at least 50% longer between oil changes and your engine will last much, much longer."

If you've read the foregoing, I think you, too, will agree that Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer truly is a miracle fluid. Or perhaps it should be renamed Lucas Heavy Duty Snake Oil Stabilizer. As Fox news says,I report, you decide.

One thing that Lucas says I believe to be true, however. It does allow a higher degree of lubricity. In this case the lubricity of your wallet as you note how smoothly and friction-free your money passes from it as you purchase their stabilizer.

Happy Motoring!
                                Just like I said...those who doubt it...have never used it! And please...don't attach the small cost of this product with there marketing...I tried other stuff including synthetic oils....nothing else worked. I am 45 years old and grew up up in a city full of cheats and con artist. I simply gave this stuff a try and eveything as I stated is true....period...full stop. Now I dare you to "friction free", fork over the less than 10 bucks that would seem to obviously break your bank and try this stuff. It has worked for me and as I have learned, it has worked just as well for many others...."friction free"......that was cute!

Comment

Working...
                                X