my EGT vs an 87 rx-7 351 small block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
    I don't think you understand the concept of a sports car. How do you make a fun sports car? Start with a good suspension, strong chassis, light weight, and add power. Who ****ing cares if you do it with a high-reving rotory engine or a high-displacement V8? I can't stand biased car enthusiasts. OMG OMG OMG it has an ancient-designed V8 with pushrods, HAR HAR LOLLLLL. ROFL @ the 6k RPM redline!!111111

One of my best friend's had an RX8 for about a year and a half, he recently sold it. So don't think I'm some rotory n00b who's never driven a rotory car. It was a great handling car, fun to drive, but it was NOT fast. My 100% stock volvo could slowly walk it on the highway.

I'm sure the twin turbo FD is a bit more fun to drive acceleration-wise, but the rotory engine doesn't make the car for me. Rotory's need much more maintenece than a normal car and the engines aren't nearly as 'efficient'. I call efficiency how much fuel you consume for how much power you make. The RX8 saw 20mpg ONCE, that was on a 100% highway drive. Normal driving averaged 13-17mpg. This is in a car that makes a claimed 238hp. My brother in law's father has a LS1 camaro and an LS1 vette, they average 17-19mpg in town and he's gotten 31mpg in the vette on a highway trip. These cars are rated at 350hp.

Who cares how your car gets down the road, so long as it does? Just because I dream of a high-powered reliable and efficient engine in a light, great handling car doesn't mean I'm commiting automotive blasphmeny. I respect anything that's well done, isn't that what being a car enthusiast is all about?

fanboys
    i feel the same way, nice post.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
      I don't think you understand the concept of a sports car. How do you make a fun sports car? Start with a good suspension, strong chassis, light weight, and add power. Who ****ing cares if you do it with a high-reving rotory engine or a high-displacement V8? I can't stand biased car enthusiasts. OMG OMG OMG it has an ancient-designed V8 with pushrods, HAR HAR LOLLLLL. ROFL @ the 6k RPM redline!!111111

One of my best friend's had an RX8 for about a year and a half, he recently sold it. So don't think I'm some rotory n00b who's never driven a rotory car. It was a great handling car, fun to drive, but it was NOT fast. My 100% stock volvo could slowly walk it on the highway.

I'm sure the twin turbo FD is a bit more fun to drive acceleration-wise, but the rotory engine doesn't make the car for me. Rotory's need much more maintenece than a normal car and the engines aren't nearly as 'efficient'. I call efficiency how much fuel you consume for how much power you make. The RX8 saw 20mpg ONCE, that was on a 100% highway drive. Normal driving averaged 13-17mpg. This is in a car that makes a claimed 238hp. My brother in law's father has a LS1 camaro and an LS1 vette, they average 17-19mpg in town and he's gotten 31mpg in the vette on a highway trip. These cars are rated at 350hp.

Who cares how your car gets down the road, so long as it does? Just because I dream of a high-powered reliable and efficient engine in a light, great handling car doesn't mean I'm commiting automotive blasphmeny. I respect anything that's well done, isn't that what being a car enthusiast is all about?

fanboys
      So wait you've been in the NEWEST and LATEST generation rx8 which btw is THE slowest one stock i believe aside from the 1st gens back in early 80s and you think you KNOW rotarys? hahahahha funny... And yes well done. Leaf springs on vettes.... That is not well done thats living in the 60s man! *gives you a random drug from the 60s to remember what you forgot that you will forget*

PS: I bet your "100% stock volvo" has a turbo yes? Well removing the turbo on the RX8s is the only reason its slow not to mention they had to detune it ALOT to be more smog friendly!
      **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
      95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Damn your right, leaf springs on the vette, man those things must suck!!!

OH WAIT, the z06 can pull over 1 G on the skidpad, damn those ancient suspensions!
        Joe H
        2000 Chevy Impala
        3400 3.4 Liter V6
        Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
        U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
        Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Yeah, the RX-8 rotary is really smooth, but you hit the gas and there is no torque, it really doesn't feel like your going anywhere fast... I like the car to at least feel like i've got the pedal to the floor.

Here's one for the books...

I've always wanted a 240SX, IMO they are pretty comparable to the 2nd gen RX-7, but I don't know much about Rotaries, and I don't really trust them for the long-haul. Nothing against them, just not my thing, I like pistons... Anyway, here's the best of both worlds, or something...

Comment

should put a supra motor in a RX7, then there ya go
            Joe H
            2000 Chevy Impala
            3400 3.4 Liter V6
            Fun Times

Comment

rx8

you guys are totally missing the point of the rx8, and most all the rotarys in general. Any time that you swap a rotary out of a car that it was originally put into your ruining the handling characteristics of the vehicle, especially if your replacing it with a big v8 or something of that nature. A rotary engine sits low in the engine bay and weighs less than any modern-day 4 cylinder engine. The new rx8 sits even further back in the engine bay and lower than the famouse 3rd gen rx7 giving it a lower yaw center moment of enertia and a lower center of gravity, why do you think that it can keep up with an 350z at the track with almost 80whp difference? It's because of how the car is designed, with the rotary engine and how the weight is centered in the vehicle. It corners better than almost every 2 door sports car anywhere near its price range, yet it has 2 more doors, and is a sports coupe. If you upgrade the suspension a little, and get stiffer sways and better rubber (the brigestone re040's arent that great) you can pull over 1g in the skids easy. That being said, yes the new version of the rotary is not as potent as the last gen rx7 however it doesnt have twin-turbo's stock either, and its a different kind of car. You could always swap a v8 into a 7 or 8; however, once you do that your ruining what the car was made to do, go fast in the twisty's, If you want more power out of the rotary engine as lots of muscle car or big-block people usually do, its simple turbocharge. Its cheeper than a bigblock or other engine swap, and if tuned right WILL give you more power

Comment

rotary's flow more air than a modernday 6 cylinder engine, thats why if you turbocharge one you can put huge t66 or even bigger turbo's on them without almost any lag. The 13b rotary is basically a 3.9l engine in a 1.3 litre size. So if more power and torque is what your after put a turbocharged 13b in the earlyer gen 7's or turbocharge the renesis but don't RUIN there design and potential by putting a huge motor in them that they werent designed for. END RANT......sorry.

Comment

Thank you finally somebody understands the concept of the rx7s! V8 swaps and all the other useless crap is pointless. If you want a v8 then buy it with the rest of the crappy design of the car! Putting a v8 in a rx7 is just straight up gay and dumb! Its like a ricer buying a stang and putting in a honduh motor because it has vtec!

PS: I have a good pic for this but i can't find it! wehhhhh!! *keeps looking*
                  **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                  95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2
                    Thank you finally somebody understands the concept of the rx7s! V8 swaps and all the other useless crap is pointless. If you want a v8 then buy it with the rest of the crappy design of the car! Putting a v8 in a rx7 is just straight up gay and dumb! Its like a ricer buying a stang and putting in a honduh motor because it has vtec!

PS: I have a good pic for this but i can't find it! wehhhhh!! *keeps looking*
                    Listen dude, i can take your V8 swap comments, and all the other BS.. but do not put down any V8 "crappy designed car" around me.. i used to own a foxbody mustang 5.0 bored and stroked to 5.7 liters and the thing flew, and everyone in my family owns a V8 or some sort, weither it be my dads LT1 650 WHP Corvette, my stepdads LS1 trans am, or my grandpas classic mustang, so keep it clean

If you want to say again about how ****ty V8's and the cars theyre wrapped around are designed, i will have to drown you in facts that would make the most biased ricer envy a V8
                    Joe H
                    2000 Chevy Impala
                    3400 3.4 Liter V6
                    Fun Times

Comment

Originally posted by Vash00es
                      He probobly had some jacked up 5.7, i know the late 80's / very early 90's camaros had a 5.7 version that only made like 220 hp at the crank
                      A 351 is a SBF (Small Block Ford) 5.8 li...

Youre thinking of a 350 SBC

Either way... both of these engines should have wasted you (threadstarter) especially when its transplanted on a car that weighs around 2800lbs.
                      1999 SVT Cobra Black/Black

2003 Mustang GT DSG/Black

Comment

Originally posted by swalltr207jg
                        you guys are totally missing the point of the rx8, and most all the rotarys in general. Any time that you swap a rotary out of a car that it was originally put into your ruining the handling characteristics of the vehicle, especially if your replacing it with a big v8 or something of that nature. A rotary engine sits low in the engine bay and weighs less than any modern-day 4 cylinder engine. The new rx8 sits even further back in the engine bay and lower than the famouse 3rd gen rx7 giving it a lower yaw center moment of enertia and a lower center of gravity, why do you think that it can keep up with an 350z at the track with almost 80whp difference? It's because of how the car is designed, with the rotary engine and how the weight is centered in the vehicle. It corners better than almost every 2 door sports car anywhere near its price range, yet it has 2 more doors, and is a sports coupe. If you upgrade the suspension a little, and get stiffer sways and better rubber (the brigestone re040's arent that great) you can pull over 1g in the skids easy. That being said, yes the new version of the rotary is not as potent as the last gen rx7 however it doesnt have twin-turbo's stock either, and its a different kind of car. You could always swap a v8 into a 7 or 8; however, once you do that your ruining what the car was made to do, go fast in the twisty's, If you want more power out of the rotary engine as lots of muscle car or big-block people usually do, its simple turbocharge. Its cheeper than a bigblock or other engine swap, and if tuned right WILL give you more power
                        That is why LS1 powered Rx handle better than a rotary powered RX, not to mention distributes the power more efficiently and has more room to grow power wise??

I dont know what youre smoking but please show me those blazingly fast Rx-8s!! Ive yet to meet one

Comment

Originally posted by Pro of Throe
                          That is why LS1 powered Rx handle better than a rotary powered RX, not to mention distributes the power more efficiently and has more room to grow power wise??

I dont know what youre smoking but please show me those blazingly fast Rx-8s!! Ive yet to meet one
                          the Mazda Rx8 has proven to pull dramatically similar, if not the same, track times as the 350z.

my two cents are this. do what you want with your car. i personally would keep the rotary because that is what makes the car unique. the idea of a company actually trying something different and that different thing being capable of great power, and a really fun to drive vehicle, is a HUGE attraction. THAT is what the Rotary is about. it shows that there is a different way that can be just as good if no better than the traditional way.

if i wanted something with a v8, you would see me in a car that comes with one (1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS [302 plz] )
                          Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                            the Mazda Rx8 has proven to pull dramatically similar, if not the same, track times as the 350z.

my two cents are this. do what you want with your car. i personally would keep the rotary because that is what makes the car unique. the idea of a company actually trying something different and that different thing being capable of great power, and a really fun to drive vehicle, is a HUGE attraction. THAT is what the Rotary is about. it shows that there is a different way that can be just as good if no better than the traditional way.

if i wanted something with a v8, you would see me in a car that comes with one (1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS [302 plz] )
                            Could you please specify which track? You guys say "keeps up at a track" but Ive always been able to take care of them... Im pretty sure if you meant a track where you take turns then sure it would be able to keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro of Throe
                              This is my understanding as well.

As for the swap, easier to make power, more reliable, and actually raises the value of the car. I just don't get what you don't like about it.

Comment

when I say track, I mean road corse, or autocross, or basically a track with turns. As far as straight line performance everyone knows that the rx8's arn't BLAZING fast in the straights, but it wasnt made to be a drag car, more a road corse car hence something with turns. As far as an rx with an ls1 handling better than one with a rotary, thats kind of a double negative, cause once you remove the rotary its no longer an RX (rotary Experiment) But I find it hard to believe that any RX bodied car with an ls1 in it could out handle the RX with the rotary in it given that the suspension hasnt been changed on either vehicle. If it has well thats like comparing apples and oranges. As far as an ls1 RX bodied car being faster in the straights than an Rotary, duh , what r they like almost 500 hp stock. I'll say this, the RX cars werent designed with drag racing in mind , why do you think mazda puts the exact same motor in their f1 cars, Hmmmm think about it balance, weight. And as far as longevity/reliablility of the rotary, most full race rotarys can go a whole season without being tore down to fix or change anything, as long as you know how to take care of them (yes they need oil) they can last a really long time. And dont say what about the fd3s because everyone knows it had COOLING issues.
                                Last edited by swalltr207jg; 07-23-2005, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X