my EGT vs an 87 rx-7 351 small block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vash00es
    Listen dude, i can take your V8 swap comments, and all the other BS.. but do not put down any V8 "crappy designed car" around me.. i used to own a foxbody mustang 5.0 bored and stroked to 5.7 liters and the thing flew, and everyone in my family owns a V8 or some sort, weither it be my dads LT1 650 WHP Corvette, my stepdads LS1 trans am, or my grandpas classic mustang, so keep it clean

If you want to say again about how ****ty V8's and the cars theyre wrapped around are designed, i will have to drown you in facts that would make the most biased ricer envy a V8
    Sorry its nothing personal i just don't like big motors with their ego enhancing properties. Ever see the sti vs c5 video? The c5 owner wanted to race and lost to the sti and proceeded to snap and punch the sti owner in the face! hahah. Sorry but thats just how the v8 crowd is around here too but then again all the honduh ricers are the same way but thats awhole different level of stupidity all together! So yeah i lost my point as i just woke up and i need to eat!
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2
      And this is why v8 swaps in a rx7 are St00pid! Got owned by a EGT in the twisties AND on the straight away! Dumb domestic ricers!
      Hell yeah!!! The owner should be
      One day you are born,
      The next big milestone
      you discover go zoom-zoom
      you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

god this thread sucks.
        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Sorry its nothing personal i just don't like big motors with their ego enhancing properties. Ever see the sti vs c5 video? The c5 owner wanted to race and lost to the sti and proceeded to snap and punch the sti owner in the face! hahah. Sorry but thats just how the v8 crowd is around here too but then again all the honduh ricers are the same way but thats awhole different level of stupidity all together! So yeah i lost my point as i just woke up and i need to eat!
          Yes, again i posted that video on this forum awile back, along with the lingenfelter vs dsm video
          Joe H
          2000 Chevy Impala
          3400 3.4 Liter V6
          Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
          U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
          Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Yes, again i posted that video on this forum awile back, along with the lingenfelter vs dsm video
            Oh... must have been before i joined here as i saw it on another forum!
            **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
            95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Heh, ive been around and posting since 2003, in one way or another
              Joe H
              2000 Chevy Impala
              3400 3.4 Liter V6
              Fun Times

Comment

I did a little bit of research about weight and center of gravity with a LS1 swap.

...how much will all this V-8 stuff weigh down my car ?...
                ...the finished weight depends on a lot of variables when opting for a Chevy drivetrain. Component choices can vary widely.
                Bill Hagen's '94, equipped with a Camaro LT1 (factory equipped with aluminum heads), T56 6spd, AC, PS, oil cooler, cast iron exhaust manifolds and catylitic converter weighs in at 2950lbs with a half tank of fuel, and 50lbs added to the spare tire well. The 50 lbs in the tire well brought the balance to a perfect 50/50 (1475 front / 1475 rear) weight distribution with the 1/2 tank of fuel. This car could also be trimmed out by simply filling up the fuel tank!

Retaining the RX-7's near perfect weight distribution isn't a big problem, but the job is even easier if you build the new powertrain with balance in mind when choosing/relocating components. The Chevy engine is heavier than the rotary, but by the time you consider all the rotary specific components you will also remove, the gain is minimal. Solenoids/relays, heat shields, oil coolers, turbos, intercooler, etc. If the final balance needs fine tuning, it's easy to add a small amount of weight to the extreme rear of the car to trim it out. Some 1st & 2nd gen RX-7 V-8 conversions have achieved 50/50 balance by just removing/relocating components and deleting the AC. Considering that the 3rd gen also has turbos and an IC to remove, achieving balance is a piece of cake.
                consider this.... If you look at the weight gain from a power/weight stand point, it's easy to realize that you can add some weight as long as you back it up with enough added power. The RX-7 is the lightest car in it's class, and even with a V-8 swap, you're still going be much lighter than the competition.
                CG Arguement:

...won't a V-8 have a higher center of gravity than a rotary ?...
                ......Another parameter typically debated "rotary vs. V-8" is CG height. Many believe the V-8 with it's higher heads and intake manifold raise the CG height and must ruin the handling. Our response is that things are not as they may seem. The engine/trans should be considered as a package. The rotary's appx 6" higher eccentric shaft centerline and resulting higher transmission location all but eliminates any advantage the smaller rotary engine is thought to benefit from. We doubt the CG of the engine/trans package, as installed in an RX-7, is that different. An LS1, with it's aluminum block, aluminum heads, and plastic intake manifold, may even have an advantage over the rotary with regards to CG height.
                http://members.tr****.com/~grannys/3C8faq.html

Rotory's are cool and 'unique', but it's just my opinion that an LS1 FD would be cooler and MORE unique. I like 'muscle cars', but they all have tradeoffs. The designs are butch and ugly, the interiors / fit and finish are garbage, they weigh a lot, and they aren't the greatest around the bends. Japanese cars are often the exact opposites of this... Why not combine the brute force of a high-displacement engine and put it in a sexy, great handling car? It's the best of both worlds.
                Dan
                dreesemonkey

Comment

The size of the engine has nothing to do with determining someones personality, I almost got in a fight with some dumbass when I beat him in his S2000 with my camaro, he got butt-hurt, not me, I could care less either way.

On the RX-8 handling note, yes they do handle very well, I watched a race between a Race-prep 2005 Mustang GT, and a race-prep 2005 Rx-8 at Laguna seca between the main-events. They were driven by two of the people that take you around the track if you pay I think $20 bucks a lap or something. The RX-8 ate the mustang through the turns, especially the last turn, but the mustang returned the favor through the straight-er parts of the track. At the end the mustang only pulled ahead by less than half a sec I think, he jumped on the RX-8 after the last turn and through the straight. When you drive one though they still feel slow, and the unimpressive gas mileage is a big issue for me on the street. If i'm going to pull down 17mpg, than I want a car that can at least pull more than a 14.4 in the 1/4. The 350Z is faster, and gets better MPG, but it's also a french nissan, stupid renault

Comment

For whoever says muscle cars suck

The name escapes me atm, but i know there is a classic muscle car ( 60's era i believe ) that weighed almost 10 thousand pounds, and had 400 something HP, and still pulled a 0 - 60 in the 5 second range, try that with any of these modern day car engines in a car that weighs 10K
                    Joe H
                    2000 Chevy Impala
                    3400 3.4 Liter V6
                    Fun Times

Comment

the amount of misinformation is beyond repair.....no paragraph or link can fix it.

WORST THREAD EV4r

All i can say is a v8 swap in imports doesnt ruin the handling characteristics. it changes but it doesnt ruin it. most of them get better. i know the ls1 miata wwight balance improved with the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
                        the amount of misinformation is beyond repair.....no paragraph or link can fix it.

WORST THREAD EV4r

All i can say is a v8 swap in imports doesnt ruin the handling characteristics. it changes but it doesnt ruin it. most of them get better. i know the ls1 miata wwight balance improved with the swap.
                        I'd also say I want a V8 miata, but I'll stop before someone tells me that's a dumb idea, too
                        Dan
                        dreesemonkey

Comment

Ive always wanted to see what i could do with the old Toyota MR2s.... I love Midengined cars, and im sure they have great handling potential because of that.. now if i could only get more power outta em!
                          Joe H
                          2000 Chevy Impala
                          3400 3.4 Liter V6
                          Fun Times

Comment

Ive always wanted to see what i could do with the old Toyota MR2s.... I love Midengined cars, and im sure they have great handling potential because of that.. now if i could only get more power outta em!
                            twincharge the little bastard.
                            sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                            92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by swalltr207jg
                              when I say track, I mean road corse, or autocross, or basically a track with turns. As far as straight line performance everyone knows that the rx8's arn't BLAZING fast in the straights, but it wasnt made to be a drag car, more a road corse car hence something with turns. As far as an rx with an ls1 handling better than one with a rotary, thats kind of a double negative, cause once you remove the rotary its no longer an RX (rotary Experiment) But I find it hard to believe that any RX bodied car with an ls1 in it could out handle the RX with the rotary in it given that the suspension hasnt been changed on either vehicle. If it has well thats like comparing apples and oranges. As far as an ls1 RX bodied car being faster in the straights than an Rotary, duh , what r they like almost 500 hp stock. I'll say this, the RX cars werent designed with drag racing in mind , why do you think mazda puts the exact same motor in their f1 cars, Hmmmm think about it balance, weight. And as far as longevity/reliablility of the rotary, most full race rotarys can go a whole season without being tore down to fix or change anything, as long as you know how to take care of them (yes they need oil) they can last a really long time. And dont say what about the fd3s because everyone knows it had COOLING issues.
                              More like 345hp stock... H/C/I/headers and youll probably be putting down 430-470rwhp which should be more than enough to scare the crap out of you on a car that light. All motor and still making 20mpg...
                              1999 SVT Cobra Black/Black

2003 Mustang GT DSG/Black

Comment

Thats because you only know of douchebags... I raced a 2nd gen prelude and the guy stayed close to me all the way. I was in my GT... granted it didnt downshift and its not the quickest thing from a roll since its an auto... still. I completely ate him up from a dead stop but I still gave the guy a thumbs up for keeping up from a roll.

I did race some assholes in an STi. They kept talking crap and I didnt really want to get beat since it was going to be from a dead stop but I raced them anyways... turns out the guy sucked and I walked him bad. Again this was in my GT.

**** talkers are in all cars.... In short " Quit hatin' "
                                1999 SVT Cobra Black/Black

2003 Mustang GT DSG/Black

Comment

Working...
                                X