No announcement yet.

Reccomendations on rim/tire choice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want at least 7in wide for performance.... I thought that much wider than that and I would be asking for trouble (i.e. fender needing to be rolled and rubbing.)

I want something light just b/c I am trying to keep the car as light as possible. I know some of the MX's get a bit heavy, and this one being a 92 GS is not light like my 323. I dont plan on gutting the car or anything extreme like that, but I want it to be relatively close to 2100 lbs or so w/o me in the car. (something like 2400 stock for the GS) I know wheel weights dont really matter all that much, but every little bit helps here and there.

oh and I like those g-Forces! Those are nice. $400 price tag is a bit much, but who knows, I may get them to treat myself.
    Last edited by D323; 04-08-2005, 05:13 PM.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

well i know that 195/65/15 tire fits in the wheel well and doesn't rub.
      If you run the stock tire height, there is PLENTY of space for the turning radius

Comment

I am planning for roughly 200hp at the wheels. I thought with that much I would need 205's or greater.... and yeah I am going to try to keep stock tire diameter as close as possible. I know more than likely I should be able to since the MX-3 came with 14 inch rims stock and I want to go to a 15in rim with a lower profile tire.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
          I know wheel weights dont really matter all that much, but every little bit helps here and there.
          you'll be happy to know that you're wrong, reducing wheel/tire weight is one of the most noticeable weight reductions you can make. the weight is unsprung (meaning not supported by the suspension), so smaller increases are more noticeable than say pulling out your spare tire. you'll see improved acceleration, braking, and tire wear.

Comment

I am planning for roughly 200hp at the wheels. I thought with that much I would need 205's or greater.... and yeah I am going to try to keep stock tire diameter as close as possible.
            I can say that I have seen a tremendous improvement in grip with the 215/45's as opposed to the 205/45. I used to spin tires with the 205's well through 3rd gear. Could never get any traction, especially from a dig. With the 215's I only spin about half way through second if I shift fast. I will never go back to a 205 series tire.

Comment

I'd like to go to a 225 if possible, but I think the widest that anyone has put on a BG based car is 215 or so. I will look for a 215 if I can.

95proL. ~> true... didnt think about that... I considered it to not be that much in the sense that its maybe 8lbs per rim/tire making about a 32lb loss.. true that good, but thats only a little in the sense of the whole cars weight overall...

Excellent points guys...... keep them coming.

Comment

I really don't think a 225 is going to be necessary with the kind of power you will be making.

Comment

Since we're on the topic of wheels and tires ... I have the stock EGT wheels on my car (5.5 inches wide) and I have trouble gripping with my NA setup. Boosting at the end of this month ... I wonder how much more trouble I will have. I plan to upgrade the suspension and that should keep the tires planted on the groud a bit better.

However, what worries me most is that my rear end slides out very very easily. It's usually controllable, but none-the-less, if I have no passengers in there and especially if it's wet, I can skid it much too easily. I have a set of kelly charger tires in the back (195/60/R15) and I wonder if changing the tires or changing the worn out suspension will help me out more with this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
                    I can say that I have seen a tremendous improvement in grip with the 215/45's as opposed to the 205/45. I used to spin tires with the 205's well through 3rd gear. Could never get any traction, especially from a dig. With the 215's I only spin about half way through second if I shift fast. I will never go back to a 205 series tire.
                    That's a gearing change and momentum change, not a width difference.
                    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                    -93 MR2, 129 ES
                    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                      you'll be happy to know that you're wrong, reducing wheel/tire weight is one of the most noticeable weight reductions you can make. the weight is unsprung (meaning not supported by the suspension), so smaller increases are more noticeable than say pulling out your spare tire. you'll see improved acceleration, braking, and tire wear.

Tire weight is roughly 4x more important than wheel weight.
                      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES
                      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                        Tire weight is roughly 4x more important than wheel weight.
                        just curious how it 4 times as important that the wheel weight?

I know that the tires weigh more that the wheels themselves, but what makes it 4x as important?

Comment

just curious how it 4 times as important that the wheel weight?

I know that the tires weigh more that the wheels themselves, but what makes it 4x as important?
                          because they are further away from the center of rotation. i believe.

Comment

makes sense, now that you put it that way.

So whats a good light tire?

Comment

Anyone know how wide of a tire I can fit on the 5.5 inch wide EGT rim?

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                                Anyone know how wide of a tire I can fit on the 5.5 inch wide EGT rim?
                                What's the wheel diameter?
                                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
                                X