16x6.5 vs 16x7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16x6.5 vs 16x7

i was just wondering if there were any real advantages of getting 16x7's instead of 16x6.5's. I was looking at wheels and for a set of 4, 16x7's are $70 more.
    sigpic

wider = more traction..

Comment

And harder to turn without power steering.

Comment

to add to firelizard's post...wider wheels allows you to use wider tires which will allow for more traction. contact patch is also dependent on the wheel matching the tire's dimensions.

Comment

only weak tit's need powersteering Plus, rim width has nothign to do with turning resistance. only the tire does.

the wider rim means bette fitment of the tire with less rollover of the sidewall.
          as most tires 205 & such are designed around a 6.5" rim which is retarded.
          thats my take.

get some more of the tire guru's in here to help you
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I assumed bigger tires went along with the bigger rims. =[

Comment

not always
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

ok, i kinda figured it would make the tire wider and handle a little better, but is it enough to justify the extra $70?
                sigpic

Comment

most rims are 16x7 so whats that tell you

Comment

Originally posted by me19875 View Post
                    ok, i kinda figured it would make the tire wider and handle a little better, but is it enough to justify the extra $70?
                    you are correct and yes it's worth it. the wider rim will slightly stretch the sidewall putting the tire shoulders on the road and vastly reduce sidewall flex

Comment

Originally posted by eeterp View Post
                      you are correct and yes it's worth it. the wider rim will slightly stretch the sidewall putting the tire shoulders on the road and vastly reduce sidewall flex
                      sweet, thanks that's exactly the answer i was looking for :D
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X