No announcement yet.

Nerd Racing's 94 Ford Aspire Work Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bumpers look very familiar what kind of car were they from?? Nice job on the bumpers. Lotz of man hours in those!
    Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mx-3_4evr View Post
      Love the front bumper, should of kept the stock rear bumper though. Cons about the new rear bumper is that you can have 2 license plates lol
      I'm going to fill the hatch smooth eventually, then move the plate and plate lights down to the bumper. That won't be till spring though, also I'm going to put a single 10" woofer in the hatch itself since the one I want to use only needs 1 cu. ft of space with a sealed box.

Originally posted by IMACHU2
      The bumpers look very familiar what kind of car were they from?? Nice job on the bumpers. Lotz of man hours in those!
      Front bumper is a subaru legacy outback bumper cut in half and narrowed 2" and sides shortened.

The rear bumper is 6" of the lower part of a 94 dodge colt bumper grafted onto the stock aspire bumper and smoothed out.

There is almost too many hours in the bumpers, I'd probably want to cry if I was rear ended... which sucks since I'm constantly tailgated by jack holes in big 4x4's and dodge intrepids.

I laid down a couple more layers of filler on the front bumper today before the temp dropped to almost freezing. I'm hoping it wasn't too cold too fast.

I have about 2 more layers and the front will be ready for filler primer.

now its time for a and then bed till tomorrow. hopefully I'll be getting the front bumper in primer and then heading out to get my raw materials for the side skirts. They will be much more of a bolt on affair with only a little trimming for the length and some painting.
      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

did a lot of work today, wish my car wasn't so low now, my back is killing me from leaning over to do the sanding and such. :angryfire

progress is a wonderful thing though!

and add some paint:

from the side:

and some bedliner coating to simulate bare plastic (and headlights installed):

I wanted to graft the EGT grill in there but it cracked pretty bad when I tried to remove the Ford emblem, maybe in the spring.

I was unable to make it to the junk yard to get my "side skirt" materials, so that will be pushed back yet again. I am hoping it will still be warm enough to paint them when the time comes, if not they will stay bare plastic till after winter.
        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

really does look alot better painted all one color. keep it up.
          I am an idiot.
          I am building a fwd racecar.

Comment

I guessed right on the front bumper, and a big D'oh that's what it is! (for the back one). I predict your going to shave the license plate on the hatch, and then the rear bumper haters will see the bigger picture
            Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

would love to see a video of this thing getting on the skinny pedal. Im curious to see how fast it is.
              ah, it's wonderful driving a car that goes slow.. makes it easier to aim for the old people crossing the street

Comment

Well, the car is in the garage for the remainder of the winter. I'm going to start tearing the BP out asap, selling it off, along with the Harness, ECU, and the stock trans.

I just bought a running 95 626 5 speed V6 car for $300! the guy put it in a ditch backwards and smashed the rear end to hell, but it still runs great!

I'll be working on getting it to my house so I can yank out the parts I need and then get scrap weight for the rest of the car! :D
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Good luck with the KL swap, and if you need/want and tips/help just let me know

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

ok, I will be keeping in touch. I am probably going to do hybrid welded and sleeved axles for this one, since a buddy of mine is amazing with welding steel, and i work at a machine shop so I can have them machine some DOM tubing to the exact diameter of the axles for the sleeve.
                    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

nice good luck with the swap man! you got the good year KL too, the 93/94 are way to picky sometimes lol.

ps i dont need those axles anymore, took to long/no pm reply man! got some locally.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I did pm you back man, you never gave me an address for the guy state side to save shipping.

Oh well, looks like I'm gonna hack them up to use for my hub side then, I want to use BG hubs so I have wheel studs and not bolts.
                        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

weird! i guess something happened to the last one i sent then lol.
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

well as long as you found some axles after all, then its no biggy. I'll put them to good use after all.
                            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

I went through a few wiring diagrams and made a spreadsheet of the 626 ECU pinout and then did a side by side setup with the aspire and now I have the wiring all figured out.

Hopefully the BP will be out and on its merry way this week. It worked out great, I have buyers for the BP, Harness, and ECU; the tranny, axles, flywheel, and clutch kit; and the headlights.
                              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

we have everything but a couple mount bolts out for the donor car!

PICS:

Long way to go from here!

Some more removed, just about everything so that its pullable!

One of my helpers, the other was the guy that sold me the parts. I think they are more excited about the swap than I am!

I never med a guy who owned an acura that admitted that his car would be way slower than one i have! Great people all in all!

Some swag from today!

Good times... got home to warm up and the heater must have been off all day! its 30 degrees F in the house!! re-lit the pilot and going to bed!
                                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X