No announcement yet.

Pommyvince's BF 323 KL ZE swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's good info, thanks. I assume you had no problems with the inner seal which is the only reason I can't use my current CV's. In the pic above you'll see that they have a circular dust shield arrangement and not the face for the lipped seal to run on.

My goodies from the USA finally turned up today after a small fortune in freight and getting stung GST (Goods and Sevices Tax) in New Zealand. All I need to do now is find some GT/Sport rear hubs, discs, trailing arms etc.
    Attached Files

Comment

I had mine machined so they look excatly the same as the standard bf ons, only the spline is different

Comment

Dropped the drive flanges round to the engineer that made my driveshafts and hopefully he can sort them out for me. I think I have a lead on some BFMP rear hubs which will make my life easier.

Comment

I know I'm late, but better late then never.
          First gonna watch and learn.
          I love BF KLZE's!!!
          mazda stands by you

Comment

Welcome to our world Mr N4SA.

Picked up this fine example of a BFMP yesterday........I was hoping the rear suspension arrangement would be more four wheel drive like rather than just the same rear shocks as a drum brake model. I've lined up some BG rear hubs and trailing arms to see If I can come up with a hybrid hub that will retain the 4 x 114.3 stud pattern but allow me to fit the BFMR/GTX coilovers.

At least there's a few bits and pieces left in the shell like a tilt-adjustable steering column and some ball joints I need.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Pommyvince,

I see its a clear case of once the project bug bit you, its fatal.......
              the body still looks in good nick, or atleast the parts that I can see.

So, whats on the cards for engine duty?
              mazda stands by you

Comment

This ones too far gone to be a project. Just going to strip the parts I want and sell the wheels and hatch...then it will be cutting disc time for the shell.

Still have a KLDE and 'box in the garage that might one day end up in my Astina.

Comment

must admit, I'm sad to see a body like that go to the cutting disc........as we never got many examples of them here.

How is the BF 323 KLZe keeping up?
                  mazda stands by you

Comment

KL ZE is keeping up just fine

Got the kuckles sorted out at last and think that I have managed to retain my CV's by removing the old dust seal and reducing the depth of the BF seals.

I've got a caliper clearance problem on the VR4 discs and I ground a small amount out of the back of the caliper but it will require just too much for that solution to work.....I'll get the discs turned down to 260mm.

Also a lesson in not being a prat and using a cutting disc to grind...... it exploded and got me in the hand and leg....ouch...I really should know better !!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

ouch, ya I've had those cutting disks explode on me too when they've bound up lol, not a fun experience.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

It's a tough lesson, but a good wake up call to us all. We know the dangers, but we still try to take the short cut. Hope the broken ego heels quicker then the hand and leg.
                        mazda stands by you

Comment

Things have ground to a halt in Christchurch with an Antarctic blast...no chance of getting any maching done for the next few days and too cold to go out to the garage and do some odd jobs......smacked the front of the BMW yesterday as everyone did a fair impression of ice skating on a local bridge at 6.00a.m. and now I better go and clear the snow off the Astina.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Finally got the hub centric spacer from the machinist ( a whole $25/pair) so that my new discs are centred to the hub and the wheels now have a hub centre as well. I had the discs turned down to 257mm to get enough clearance in the calipers. Also had to make sure that I had a disc retaining screw as a it is a requirement here. Just been out for a quick drive and the combination of calipers, discs and a return to BF hubs definitely feels better.....just have to tackle the rear discs and K Sports now !
                            Attached Files

Comment

any updates vince?

etude ftw!

Comment

Been a long time !!

Hi Guys, since I lasted posted we've had another earthquake !!!! magnitude 6 on 23rd December.....just at the start of my three weeks off.
                                The Astina above has been sold as I now have too many cars and I've sold off some of my spares including my V6 manual conversion to your friend...thanks for that.
                                The Mazda is going fine ( now the daily driver) and I've worked out a away to get the rear K Sports fitted but the local engineer has been overloaded with work. As soon as I get back to the rear suspension I'll post "how to" pics along with fitting BFMP rear discs.

I'll still have to sell my BMW 328i to make room in the garage for the wife's car. I flew to most of the way up the North Island on a one-way ticket hoping this would be the right car and then drove it back, did the ferry crossing and all that, arrived home 48 hrs later. Any way, my new car is not a Mazda ..........................
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X