Pommyvince's BF 323 KL ZE swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axles are a pain, lol.

now my least favorite part of the the car.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

you should find out if they will make another set of axles, and how much it would be to ship them to the states!
      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

I guess he would make another set of axles but they would probably be a bit more expensive than I paid as he admitted that the hardening process cost more than he thought it would. Just PM me if anyones seriously interested and I'll get a price.

Finally got the front suspension in and the car sat back on its wheels.Doesn't sit as high as the photo makes it look. White line on the tyres is so that I can get the toe-out set close enough to have a quick blast up the road.......hopefully tomorrow

Just need to fit the rear wheel spacers, the rear exhaust clamp and re- fit the battery. Then I can go and annoy the neighbours !
        Attached Files

Comment

nice. get a video when you take it out.
          Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
          "Who Dey"

Comment

looking sexy!

now I have to go out to my garage and get working on my car...
            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Success..... it goes OK ! Smokes like a chimney but it drives. Exhaust rattles somewhere underneath. A Bit of wicked torque steer the first time I nailed it but didn't seem to do it again. Sorry no vid this time as the neighbours were starting to pay attention after a few passes up and down the road with no bonnet and front panels

Added some STP engine flush when I got it back in the garage and ran it up for 15 mins.....nice cloud of smoke drifting down the road lol. Certainly seemed to do some good as the new oil came out pretty black when I drained it.

Good oppurtunity to clear up the garage so I can work with out tripping over all the old crap. Now have a load of scrap steel in my trailer. Pic of how it sits now...have to adjust the ride height.
              Attached Files

Comment

VERY NICE! I'd love to see a video when you get it out next!
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Will certainly get a vid next time. Plan this week is to get the heads off and drop the sump to see what the state of the motor really is. The Mrs tells me there was a definite plume of smoke when first driving but not so bad when a workmate came round and got a quick spin up the road.

Comment

glad to hear she runs! sorry to hear she's burning oil

was there a warranty with the engine? do you think its the valve seals leaking?
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

i definately can't wait to see a video of this thing driving down the road!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

No warranty with the engine unfortunately as I bought a complete crashed car and could only run it up for a few minutes as the radiator was stuffed. I only paid $300 NZ for the whole car so I took a chance. Oil pressure and idle pretty good so hoping that its just the valve guide seals, though I'll pull the pistons out just to check while its apart......going to pull the heads off this week but soooo busy at work we need to do overtime

Comment

This evenings work was to make a start on getting cylinder heads off. Not as much as a pain in the butt as I thought so far. I have given myself just (and I mean just) enough space to get the belt cover off. I had to leave water pump pulley hanging until the crank pulley was off and a bit of Houdini like wriggling got it out between the frame rail and the water pump nose. Looking down the inlet ports I can see a nice film of oil :O
                          Attached Files

Comment

hope all goes smoothly with the tear down man. Clean car all around!
                            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Thanks for the support guys Heads are now off and nothing looks too bad except the caking of burnt on oil. All the cam lobes,journals and lifters look Ok and the bores look used but no nasty marks or ridge at the top. I'll leave the heads to soak while I get the sump off tomorrow and pull the pistons out and check the rings. Its a great engine to work on.....just like an overgrown motorcycle engine.....you can see the Suzuki influence in the motor ( I was in the motorcycle trade for a good few years ).
                              Attached Files

Comment

looks like great work. your axles work ok?

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Working...
                                X