GTX resurrection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bujbot View Post
    Let me know if you figure out the bypass valve issue. I have the same problem. Fully warmed up it sits around 1500rpm. I've adjusted the screw all the way and made it to 1200, but it shouldn't require that much. I was thinking maybe just some carbon buildup??? I have other issues to worry about with the GTX.
    If you pinch the air feed line from the intake to the bypass valve shut and it idles down to normal or stalls then thats likely your problem... If you pinch it and it doesn't idle down to a normal idle or stall then you likely have vacuum leaks to check for... As far as I know the By pass valve is a 2 stage valve.. it has a wax pellet in is supposed to open and close for cold start ups.. Coolant controls this wax part of it much like a thermostat.. The second part is an electrical solenoid that is commanded open and closed.. this is used to help make idle more smooth and better controlled.. But it doesn't actually set idle speed.. I believe the wax pellet part has failed... When I ground the electrical solenoid on mine it revs way up higher so I know the computer isn't commanding my idle high.... I also spent an hour with a smoke machine making sure I had all my vacuum leaks sealed up...

For my car I wont be going any further with diagnostics on it.. I have a couple By pass valves from other motors I could try but I am not going to bother.. I have a hesitation problem as well that I can't figure out so I am just going to run it as is for a while and eventually go to stand alone... My hesitation problem is an odd one... From what ever reason when I am cruising and need more power to pull up a hill or something my computer isn't commanding the fuel injectors open.. I get a flat spot in the commanded duty cycle....

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
      For my car I wont be going any further with diagnostics on it.. I have a couple By pass valves from other motors I could try but I am not going to bother.. I have a hesitation problem as well that I can't figure out so I am just going to run it as is for a while and eventually go to stand alone... My hesitation problem is an odd one... From what ever reason when I am cruising and need more power to pull up a hill or something my computer isn't commanding the fuel injectors open.. I get a flat spot in the commanded duty cycle....
      Gah! I had that problem a few times. Each time was a different cause. I remember one being a grounding issue, the other being dry-rotted vacuum lines, and I think the last one was plug gap.

It drove me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by BFMRGTX View Post
        Gah! I had that problem a few times. Each time was a different cause. I remember one being a grounding issue, the other being dry-rotted vacuum lines, and I think the last one was plug gap.

It drove me nuts.
        Its driven me nuts to.. I had this problem before I took the car off the road.. I spent hours trying to figure it out... Back then I had just done a full tune up, gaped the plugs to 0.035".. I had a complete B6T parts car to swap parts with.. I did everything... swapped out VAF sensor, coolant temp sensors, fuel injectors, TPS, ECU's... nothing changed it...

I know mine is an actual computer control problem... I have scoped the fuel injectors duty cycle and the O2 sensor at the same time and confirmed that the computer isn't ramping up the duty cycle when boost is coming on...

Here is a print out I had gotten..Picture one is injector duty cycle where you can see the flat spot happen... The first line in the picture just before tip in.. The second line is the middle of the flat spot... picture 2 in just a scope of the 02 sensor with the lean spot... picture 3 in just me playing around with wide open throttle on injector duty cycle.. the scope was to slow though to pic it up properly... picture 4 is the O2 with the lean spot stacked with a graph of one of the VAF out put signals..
        Last edited by crazycanadian; 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Try unplugging your ecu and reseating the plugs. Mine left me stranded and i had it towed home. It sat for about 2 weeks until I came out and touched, (yes I said touch) the computer wire and it started right up. I had the same flat spot and it went away after I touched the ecu wiring

Comment

I'll let you know how that goes noshatch... Hopefully this week I'll have more time to work on the car...

A little update... today was sunny out so I enlisted the help of my 3 year old son with cleaning up the GTX... we pulled it out of the garage and washed 2 and a half years worth of dirt dust and crap off it... I went to town getting the interior cleaned up as well and to my surprise I found a little nest... Looks like while the car was parked outside for the last 2 winters something made my gtx into its home... Thank fully no rodent droppings were found and nothing torn up.. Just a stash of nuts left behind...

Earlier this week my new tire arrived as well as a new clutch slave...

I have a feeling I'll still need a clutch master but I'll try the slave first... I haven't been able to get a good clutch peddle feel since I got the car up and running again... Even with the use of a pressure bleeder to bleed the system out... The slave felt a little odd when I was installing it so I figured I would try it out first... Worst thing about a GTX is nothing aftermarket is sold up here anymore... I had to get the slave from the dealer.. it was 1 week away and cost $100... :s

My tire when all said and landed cost me almost $250... I could have saved my self a lot on shipping if I had just had the tire shipped to the boarder and gone across to pick it up my self, but I just don't have time to do that... Oh well its all installed now and the car is back on the 15" rota slip streams that I got with the car when I bought it..

I also put a temp permit on the car for today and drove it around for a while... After driving my KLDE 323 for so long now I have forgotten what a boost and turbo lag is like to drive with... lol... *put your foot into it* -wait for it wait for it- "Holy **** hold on tight!" hahaha... I turned the boost back down to stock and tryed taking the car for emissions testing to see if it would pass.. Unfortunatly they couldn't do the test.. I had patched my exhaust system just before my muffler a long time ago but its now starting to come loose and looks like its leaking to much... So I'll have to rebuild the back half of the exhaust sooner rather then later...

On my to do list for this week..
            Replace thermostat the car takes a long time to warm up and I can tell coolant is flowing threw the upper rad hose well before it should be...
            Rebuild the piping over my rear axle and install a new muffler...
            Install the new slave cylinder...
            Hope the car passes emissions so I can insure it...

Comment

mind show a pic of the car on the slipstreams. One of the wheels i was thinking about.
              '88 GTX

Comment

What strut brace is that?
                need help with my gtx
                http://. please check out my welcomi...ad.php?t=52356

looking for info on the 626 master cylinder upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by stariondriver View Post
                  What strut brace is that?
                  Not a clue... It was on the car when I bought it and it was on the car when the previous owner bought the car back in 1999...

Got some more work done on the GTX this week... I installed the slave cylinder to an epic fail.. My funny clutch peddle isn't any better.. I had kinda figured it would be a master problem but when I was installing the old slave I had noticed it was sticky and not working right... Oh well a new master is 3 days away from the dealer for $150... :s

I also rebuild the exhaust going over the back axle and finally installed the stainless muffler I bought 3 years ago...
                  The old rotten pipe..

New muffler... sexy... 3" inlet and outlet... Thankfully work has a tool for stretching pipe I was able to go from the 2.5" exhaust I have all ready up to the 3" no problem..

New 3" mandrel pipe...

Muffler all tucked up nicely... No tip on it just a straight 3" pipe out..It all turned out nicely, all though its to loud for my taste.. So I'll have to add a resonator to the system to bring the sound down a bit..

I also installed a new thermostat and flushed out the cooling system and flushed out the engine oil... My old thermostat got bent out of shape pretty bad when the block froze.. Man did I ever get lucky I didn't do any major damage... After that I decided to pin squeeze the ecu connectors as someone suggested to me... I did noticed some corrosion on a couple of the pins.. They were on the connector where my fuel injector wiring runs to so its possible thats where my problem was... Its hard to say though since the ecu pins were clean and the corrosion was very very minor.. I haven't noticed any improvements with my hesitation though... I'll have to scope the injectors again to know if the pin squeeze help or not... I am all of the sudden setting a random check engine light while cruising now...This is something I never had before, so something has changed.. Next time I bring the car out I'll check what code it is for now she sits tucked away back in the garage..

Comment

Yah more work on the GTX today... I finally got a new clutch master cylinder from the dealer... took a week to get it in.. Really simple install... The clutch peddle is still off a little but its better then it was so I am happy... I think I have slop in the clutch linkage under the dash... I'll have to try and take a closer look tomorrow when I go back to the shop to do the wheel alignment.. I also stuffed some new suspension goodies under the car...

She now sits on 2wd hks springs front and rear... 2wd kyb front shocks... 4wd rear kyb shocks with 2wd upper spring perches...
                    check out this thread for more details...

Comment

I replaced the pedal assy due to the play in the linkage. Turned out the hole was worn and elongated. Your options are:
                      Buy a used assy.
                      Weld the hole shut and re- drill a new hole.

Major PITA. Would be faster to weld and drill, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BFMRGTX View Post
                        I replaced the pedal assy due to the play in the linkage. Turned out the hole was worn and elongated. Your options are:
                        Buy a used assy.
                        Weld the hole shut and re- drill a new hole.

Major PITA. Would be faster to weld and drill, IMO.
                        I managed to just adjust it... My slop was just due to the push rod not being down on the master when everything was at rest... clutch works good now...

Comment

Nice. Good to see this beast coming back to life.

Comment

You got a lot of work ahead of you.

Comment

A sad day for the GTX... Its gone to a new home...

Comment

It was a sad day for you but a happy day for me as I now own a GTX. I will continue to update this as I work on the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X