No announcement yet.

It's Arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you get the issues taken care of quickly and easily. Good luck.

Comment

Alright, I worked on the GT a bit after work today. Changed the charge lines that were held together with tape, changed the throttle position sensor, as I was getting code 12 on the CEL, and cleaned it up a bit. The tps fixed my lean issue and CEL is gone, my idle is still really low though, and the temp gauge is barely coming up at all. Have lots of heat through the vents though.

Also, and this is my biggest concern, the previous owner disconnected the wastegate actuator pressure line completely. The car has a brand new K&N cone filter, and a full 2.5" exhaust. It's only boosting to about 7 PSI. I thought it would be due to the tape covered lines, but even with the new ones, it's the same. Is my turbo pooched, or should I keep looking for boost leaks?
      Last edited by DuRWooD; 05-13-2011, 08:52 PM.
      sigpic
      1992 Familia GT-X
      1988 323 GTX
      2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

First oil change on the GT today. I've put about 500km on it since I bought it. Oil was BLACK! Arg, I hope this engine is in good shape. It's going for an e-test tomorrow morning, I'm doubtful it will pass. Wish me luck. I only have until the end of the week to get it safetied and e-tested before my 10 day permit runs out.

Also, filled it with fuel today, 8.32 L/100 Km, 28.3 MPG. Have not been driving it nicely either
        Last edited by DuRWooD; 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM.
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Yeah fuel economy! Good luck on the e-test, can't wait to see the car this weekend!

Comment

Well, I failed every category of the e-test except CO% at idle, which barely squeaked by. So, I took it to my favourite exhaust shop, got a new 2.5" high flow cat welded in, took it back for a re-test and passed with flying colours!

Took a look underneath while it was on the hoist, very nice shape overall. Noticed as well that it has a 2.5" stainless down pipe, stainless brake hoses, some sort of silver after market struts, and red lowering springs. Very nice

Repairing some trivial things this afternoon in preparation for my safety check. The hood latch cable is broken, which is a safety item. Does anyone know if hood pins plus the secondary latch would pass safety?

Originally posted by heinze.ketchum View Post
            Yeah fuel economy! Good luck on the e-test, can't wait to see the car this weekend!
            Well, I'll be taking my parents' Yukon to Beerfest, it holds more beer I don't think if the 323 could hold 4 kegs and tow a tent trailer...
            Last edited by DuRWooD; 05-16-2011, 04:48 PM.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Possible the boost gauge is pooched? Or does it feel like it's only boosting 7psi?

When I bought the Subaru, it was only showing at 8psi. Felt fast, but the gauge said no. Otto's Subaru told me it's seeing about .01 mPa of boost, which is what is should be. My gauge just sucks.
              sigpic
              2004 Subaru WRX STi
              2003 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                Possible the boost gauge is pooched? Or does it feel like it's only boosting 7psi?

When I bought the Subaru, it was only showing at 8psi. Felt fast, but the gauge said no. Otto's Subaru told me it's seeing about .01 mPa of boost, which is what is should be. My gauge just sucks.

I'm fairly sure the gauge is accurate, It should be hitting the fuel cut with the mods it has. It's quick, but I've never driven one before, so it's hard to say. It is however very laggy, hits positive boost almost instantly, but to build to 7 or 8 pounds takes a long while, longer than any turbo car I've driven.
                sigpic
                1992 Familia GT-X
                1988 323 GTX
                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Going for my safety tomorrow. I'm worried it'll fail because it has no power steering. The two piece pulley on the crank shaft is now only one piece, so there's no where for a belt to go. That, and only one rear wheel e-brake works. Oh well, we'll see. If it doesn't pass, the 10 day will expire before I can fix it, and I'll have to get it towed.

Edit: Going to pull the power steering, and a rear caliper from the GTX to pass...
                  Last edited by DuRWooD; 05-18-2011, 04:11 PM.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

If you decide you want it on again, I am pretty sure I have a spare pulley around somewhere.
                    1988 323 GTX
                    2009 Mazda 5

Comment

Thanks, but I was just looking through my box of spares, and there is a brand new pulley and brand new belt in it. I guess the previous owner had planned on putting the power steering back on. What I really need is two new rear calipers, neither my GT or GTX have working e brakes due to the calipers.
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I don't know of a good import part place in Belleville, but I would give Mike at Import Auto Supply here in Kingston a try. Otherwise, www.rockauto.com has them for $96 Canadian. All my spare calipers need a rebuild at the very least.
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2009 Mazda 5

Comment

Originally posted by J.P. View Post
                          I don't know of a good import part place in Belleville, but I would give Mike at Import Auto Supply here in Kingston a try. Otherwise, www.rockauto.com has them for $96 Canadian. All my spare calipers need a rebuild at the very least.
                          Well thanks, I ended up getting them at Parts Source. $111 each, not too bad, came in the same day I ordered them too. Car should be good to pass the safety now. We'll see tomorrow.
                          sigpic
                          1992 Familia GT-X
                          1988 323 GTX
                          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Well, I'm getting a bit agitated, I took the GT to the garage to get a safety certificate a week ago today. If failed, but it was just a tie rod end that it failed, don't know how I missed that one. Anyway, they said they could have a new one that afternoon... It's now been a week, they keep getting the wrong part. I want to be driving this thing.

Anyone else have problems with the wrong part for these cars? I assume their database just didn't have the GT model or something. I went through a similar problem with my BMW when I got calipers last, ordered some, got them home, painted them black, went to install... wrong calipers... 3 times in a row.

That's my rant. Rare, oldish cars are a pain.
                            sigpic
                            1992 Familia GT-X
                            1988 323 GTX
                            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Odd - I understood the GT ones were the same as any other 323 of that age. Have you compared the ones on the GTX?

There are a ton of bad cross-references for the GT & GTX. I lost count how many shops said "No problem" when I ordered a rad for my GTX - not a single one was correct.
                              Last edited by J.P.; 05-27-2011, 08:59 PM.
                              1988 323 GTX
                              2009 Mazda 5

Comment

Originally posted by J.P. View Post
                                Odd - I understood the GT ones were the same as any other 323 of that age. Have you compared the ones on the GTX?

There are a ton of bad cross-references for the GT & GTX. I lost count how many shops said "No problem" when I ordered a rad for my GTX - not a single one was correct.
                                That's odd.. Maybe someone has installed different tie rods at some point. I'll be checking in the morning with the garage. The garage is almost an hour's drive from my house, so it's tough to check it out myself (They were the only ones I could find that would do the safety inspection on short notice).

I did talk to the garage today, and they said they had ordered it from the dealer using the VIN, so we'll see how that goes.
                                sigpic
                                1992 Familia GT-X
                                1988 323 GTX
                                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X