No announcement yet.

What did you do to your BF today???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started the process of swapping fuel injectors. Got as far as removing those 2 coolant lines that come out under the throttle body. My fingers & needle-nose pliers just aren't strong enough.

Try again tomorrow I suppose.

If I pull off the throttle body with those connected, is it easier to get underneath and get at those? I don't think there's enough play in the hoses to do that, but...

Regards,
    Joel
    1988 323 GTX - Heavily modified

DJT Motorsports (Oak Park, MI) - like no other

Comment

As far as I know, It wont help you any pulling the throttle body off. You cant pull it all the way out anyway. Plus, I hear that gaskets for the throttle body are hard to get. Ile be throwing in my new injectors when I pull the motor to put the new one in (Thanks for the injector service reference!).
      Mazda
      1988 Black 323 GT
      DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Actually, getting the TB gasket has been the easiest part of this process...go figure.

Yeah, I didn't figure there was enough play in those hoses. Maybe a longer set of pliers would help me...stronger fingers definitely would.

Regards,
        Joel

Comment

Originally posted by trailrider098 View Post
          i want to see a pic of it
          I was going to take a pic of it yesterday but due to the inclimate weather here in FLA all day, I could not get outside without getting soaked. I am going to try and take a pic when I get home from work today but the skys are looking dark right now

Comment

Ok so here is what is happening on the left side. The right side is fine. I dunno what happened. Cameraphone pics FTL

Comment

Pull the calipers off and look at the pads... Something is wrong...

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
              1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
              1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
              1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
              1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Ok Ill look at them this weekend

Comment

Yay!! Throttle body is off...sort of. It's off the intake manifold, but I still can't get that lower right-side coolant hose off. I messed and messed, but no go. Who-da thunk?!?

There's a shop 3 blocks away and one of the mechanics is pretty good. I think I'll stop over and offer him $20 to come by the house and get that hose off. I want to get this done, but I'm too patient (and too scared) to simply flail away.

Regards,
                  Joel

Comment

TB is completely off (finally!), fuel rail's out, injectors are replaced, fuel rail's back in, connec...uh oh...

The fuel injector connectors that fit so nicely on the 460cc injectors won't connect to the new 325cc ones...the connector-hat thingy is slightly different. Can't ALL injectors just use the same style?!? Is it so hard?!?

Anyways, I can either buy new connectors and wire them on, or I can somehow trim the existing ones to fit.

Hmmm...

Time to dig out the dremel...

Regards,
                    Joel

Comment

Originally posted by jjmundt View Post
                      TB is completely off (finally!), fuel rail's out, injectors are replaced, fuel rail's back in, connec...uh oh...

The fuel injector connectors that fit so nicely on the 460cc injectors won't connect to the new 325cc ones...the connector-hat thingy is slightly different. Can't ALL injectors just use the same style?!? Is it so hard?!?

Anyways, I can either buy new connectors and wire them on, or I can somehow trim the existing ones to fit.

Hmmm...

Time to dig out the dremel...

Regards,
                      Joel
                      Wait..... You took off the 460's to put 325's?????? WHY?????

Comment

my gasket set finally arrived for the kl. i can finally bolt everything up now!

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Originally posted by noshatch View Post
                          Wait..... You took off the 460's to put 325's?????? WHY?????
                          The full explanation takes about a half hour. Long story short?...

The ECU doesn't pour fuel into the 460's properly. The F-Con is chipped for the 460's, but it doesn't take over until well into boost. Until that point it runs off the ECU (programmed to run anything up to about 330's), and it's pig-rich. I'm swapping back to the 325's and looking into fuel-injector adapters so I can leave the current connectors on. I'll then bypass the F-Con and simply run the Reich-chipped ECU, which is good to 16psi.

At some point, I'll either get a GTX-specific chip for the F-Con, or swap out the Reich ECU for something that will properly feed 460's and then drop them back in.

But I'm not going to run uber-rich...until 3.5k the car has 0 power.

Regards,
                          Joel

Comment

Im running turbo II injectors in mine with a stock ecu and have no problem with them at all

Comment

Originally posted by noshatch View Post
                              Im running turbo II injectors in mine with a stock ecu and have no problem with them at all
                              According the shop manual (page 4B-48), the factory ECU is spec'd for injectors "66-82cc/15sec". Which translates to 264-328cc/min.

The injectors I have are 460's from an RX-7 as well, so I'm curious as to how your ECU can pulse 460's slow enough not to drown the combustion chamber in fuel...

Completely stock ECU? Do you have any A/F ratio maps from a dyno run? I'm really interested in knowing more.

Regards,
                              Joel

Comment

Completely stock. The injectors have been in the car for about 5 years

Comment

Working...
                                X