No announcement yet.

Random Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh good idea. Why didn't I think of that?! Now I just have to find some M9 nuts haha.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
      2 nuts tightened together on the stud and then just unscrew 'em.
      Success at NAPA. The guys at the desk weren't sure what to give me, so I had a look around the store and found this assembly. PN#605-1347 is a water pump stud kit that comes with Grade 8 studs, lock washers, and nuts. Presumably it's for some type of old V8 or domestic or something... who knows and who cares. They're M8x1.25 and a perfect fit into my open holes.

Now it's just a matter of getting a garage to remove those old studs and getting everything sandblasted before putting it all together! Unless there's a way I could remove the studs myself. I don't have acetylene torches or high heat equipment though unfortunately! Those old studs wouldn't come out with the double nut method and penetrating oil and a pipe wrench seems futile and barbaric. The threads seem oddball and damaged as my M9x1.25 die is a bit loose and the M8x1.25 die doesn't fit on it at all. Best get em out and have all four shiny and matching to hold onto the turbo better!

Comment

Go down to Sears and get a stud remover. It works with a ratchet wrench....simple.

Comment

Sounds great. I will certainly do that in order to banish the bad threads and get a solid seal! I look forward to owning another useful tool. Who knows... might need it to get some exhaust manifold / intake manifold studs out too!

Comment

Third one came out... fourth one snapped. It's at the machine shop getting drilled out and re-tapped. My attempts to drill grade 8 exhaust bolts failed miserably.

Comment

I don't like those fasteners in an exhaust manifold. The plated finish can do poorly in high heat, either coming loose or welding the nut to the stud. I prefer black oxide for this application. For street driving you might be just fine though. I'd at least put a wrench on whatever of those nuts you can get at a month or so after it's back on the road, just to be sure they're staying put.
              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                I don't like those fasteners in an exhaust manifold. The plated finish can do poorly in high heat, either coming loose or welding the nut to the stud. I prefer black oxide for this application. For street driving you might be just fine though. I'd at least put a wrench on whatever of those nuts you can get at a month or so after it's back on the road, just to be sure they're staying put.
                Good to know! If I come across some cheap black oxide studs from Fastenal, I'll scoop them up for sure. I might need at least one that is slightly longer too.

Comment

9. I'm going to replace my downpipe with a 2.5" unit shortly with a new flex pipe, but for now, what can I shove between my control arm brace and turbo down-pipe to stop it from rattling every time I launch and shift? I need something high heat, static, and rattle-reducing.

Comment

Working...
                  X