Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new similar gas tank replacement from another car for a BF 88 323 GTX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
    yep external....right side of tank just has the float/switch to run the transfer pump
    Strange. My '88 is internal, the same as the one that DamKid posted from his Protoge. What year is your 323 GTX?

Comment

That is definitely what my 323 GTX gas tank looks like. So, anyone know any other tank that would fit or that is a similar size? Looks like the subaru tanks hold quite a bit more, and therefore might be quite a bit larger, but I have no measurements to base that upon.

Comment

The transfer pump is under the car on the right side just in front of the tank. You will see it in it's housing. The main pump is on the drivers side and under the plate on the right side of the tank is the transfer pump float/switch assembly that keeps the fuel level equal and send fuel to the left side of the tank. I have BF Gtx's.

Comment

So, no one has found a similar tank? Does everyone just go the fuel cell in the hatchback route? Or weld your own out of stainless? I know I have seen a lot of people with posts about the gas tank and am curious how this issue is usually resolved.

Comment

There is no similar tank or it would have popped up years ago on one of the forums. How much are you willing to spend? I have a spare BF GTX tank that has been dipped and recoated...wasn't looking to part with it but money talks. You might want to snap up that BG tank imho.

Comment

I know the BG/BK Subaru Legacy has the same capacity as the BG 4wd Protege, but its pumps are on opposite sides. I've never dropped the Legacy tank or really looked at it to see if it's compatible. They are both 60 liters/15.9 gallons.

Edit: I don't think it's compatible. The Subaru tank has a raised area at the rear where the pump access panels are located. This is slightly behind the back seat. The Mazda tank has a rather flat top to mount directly under the back seat.

I may be wrong though, naturally. This is based on my analysis of photos from the internet. And of course anything can be accomplished if one has enough time, money, and stubbornness.
              Last edited by me109; 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM. Reason: For updated information.
              1990 Protege 4WD
              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Thanks, I also noticed the Subaru tanks seemed to be a bit too high. However, they appear to be more flat at the seam than the GTX tank on the non-raised area, so I wonder how much lower it would sit when taking into account the raised area? I was also looking for small tanks that I could connect myself, but that is another hard search to perform. For some reason car part stores don't seem to let me chose a tank by dimensions...they keep asking me what kind of car I have, etc, etc. ;-)

Comment

You could convert to LPG. That would be awesome. Just mount a couple of cylinders under the car in the trunk and exchange them as needed.

Hmm, strikethrough bbcode seems to be missing/broken.
                  Last edited by me109; 02-25-2013, 10:35 PM. Reason: For practicality.
                  1990 Protege 4WD
                  GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Comment

Are tanks made of metal? The ones in the UK here for the 4WD BF turbo are made out of toughened plastic, so no problem with rusting away which is a good thing.

Comment

My BG tank is metal. Never handled a BF one.
                      1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Comment

My BF GTX had a metal tank.
                        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Well if anyones interested in a 4WD BF plastic tank then give us a shout as ive got a spare one in my shed minus the filler neck and pump, bear in mind im in UK. They are standard form over here im guessing, ive owned a few of these cars over the years and they have all had the plastic tank.

Comment

Yes, ours are metal in the US. I wish we had yours! Then I wouldn't be searching for a replacement. Could you please post a picture or two of the plastic tank?

Originally posted by KMpuggy View Post
                            Well if anyones interested in a 4WD BF plastic tank then give us a shout as ive got a spare one in my shed minus the filler neck and pump, bear in mind im in UK. They are standard form over here im guessing, ive owned a few of these cars over the years and they have all had the plastic tank.

Comment

Comment

It's amazing the difference in design from the metal tank. The filler neck is positioned completely on the main pump side.

Comment

Working...
                                X