Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 MX-3 RS... soon to have MY BP! (X to 56k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I think I'm gonna pick one a GTR intake manifold at Corksport... trying to make this turbo ready as possible, as I'll be drilling the oil pan for the drain back and other stuff when I think of it. I wanna break in the motor without the turbo, and make sure it's running alright before I stick a turbo on it.

I'm starting to have regrets while waiting for my valves and more money... I'm almost thinking about scraping the project... what to do, what to do?

Ok, I'm gonna prolly gonna take 2 weeks off work to do this whole project... meaning I'll be throwing in my engine, wiring harness, ECU... redoing all the suspension... and doing a rear disc conversion. I'm pretty mechanically inclined since I'm a automotive machinist... but haven't worked much on the whole car and just rebuilding engines. I'll prolly be missing some parts as I'll have to run back and forth from the parts store, but I'm gonna try and accumulate it all. Ya think this is enough time?

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Ok, plans have changed... just the BP is going in... doing the turbo correctly is gonna kill my plans of buying a house. Just went to look at a house today and well, I want one.

So it'll just have a race ready BP in it...

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

lol, I feel your pain. I had plans for some internal work on my bp, but that has gone out the window since I need the car done fasTaR.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Lol, your hopes aren't over yet Shades. We might be able to help ya on a Turbo setup that will be done right and for cheaper than normal. I did mine for around $2500 and in the process have found many cheaper scources, and a big hunk of that was the BP, tranny, ECU, and harness itself...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
          Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Thanks Bugs!

I just remembered I have an insurance claim that I could use towards the the turbo.

My valves should be in this or next week... will keep you posted as I have to finish my porting and polishing... and next weekend I'll be milling off the Ford symbol on my valve cover and try and polish it up.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Ok so I ordered some bronze valve guides... gonna try 'em since I'm running oversized stainless steel valves...

More pictures...

Ordered a GTR intake manifold and SS clutch line too from Corksport.
              Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:06 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

beauty-ful...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

wow...can't wait to see this...looks amazing

Comment

I also picked up an Aluminum High Performance Water Pump off eBay... when it gets here I'll have to open it and see what the difference is... supposedly it says that it "increase water flow of up to 40 gallons/minute".

Looking to get one of those Toga High Volume Oil Pumps... but I don't see how it would increase the flow... even if the vanes are angled differently as it's driven off the crank.

I just picked up some polishing products to use with my die grinder. Gonna polish up my valve cover once I mill the Ford symbol off next weekend. Might polish up my crank too so that it throws the oil off better...

This brings me to my dilemma... it's about the crank.
                    Last edited by Shades; 03-23-2006, 11:09 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Death To Ford Symbol!

Today I spent the day milling off the Ford symbol... NO more Ford symbol!!! WOOO! :suckie:

FORD...

NO FORD!!!

More Pictures...

Time to polish up this bad boy... SHINY!!!
                      Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:07 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shades

Looking to get one of those Toga High Volume Oil Pumps... but I don't see how it would increase the flow... even if the vanes are angled differently as it's driven off the crank.

This brings me to my dilemma... it's about the crank.
                        i have 1 and it seams to have lowered my oil pressure.

and i have an extra mazda valve cover. after i redo that 1 i will have the 1 off my car you ca have as long as you pay to ship it.
                        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by turpro
                          i have 1 and it seams to have lowered my oil pressure.

and i have an extra mazda valve cover. after i redo that 1 i will have the 1 off my car you ca have as long as you pay to ship it.
                          Good to know about the Toga oil pump... seems like it should raise the oil pressure if it's gonna be higher volume?

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. But I'm gonna use this one... I was gonna get the Miata one but covers the cam gears.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Before you even consider a Toga oil pump, you should go over to ProbeTalk.com and read about all the Toga users that blew up thier engines because the Togas suck. If your engine is low-milage, you'd be better off with the used oil pump. Otherwise, go to Mazda or Ford dealership for an OEM new oil pump.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up... but I could only find 1 thread on it. http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701162131

I'll definately check everything out when it gets here since I've ordered one already. Otherwise I'll just go with a OEM one and try and sell the Toga.

By the way a little update on my project... picked up a '99 Miata head, gonna swap the cams, solid lifters, and I needed the newer style valve keepers for my titanium retainers. My block got bored and glassbeaded to look like new, and now I have to hone it out to size. I have a box of SRD bushings, a GTR manifold, and a high flow water pump I bought off eBay. I still have to go down to Blaine and pick up my bronze valve guides, Fidanza Blue cam gears, Toga HV oil pump, and my SS clutch line that got lost somewhere.

I still have to polish the balances on my crank, it's half done, finish porting my head, and get my crank balanced. Then it's time to build! Oh yeah I still have to re and re my front and rear hubs for my disc swap.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Here's the most recent thread with pretty much every failure listed, as well as oil pressure readings:

Comment

Working...
                                X