No announcement yet.

modified front brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jay you need to do a small right up on this, ie part numbers and fabbing. I would like to see this become a more common brake upgrade.
    Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

I had planned on selling the parts with a modified spindle but I'm not sure if that is going to work. If interest is high enough than I would gladly help the community. The plan was to recieve stock knuckles, mod them at the machine shop with the supplied parts and send the modified knuckles/parts to the customer. These parts need to be fitted at the machine shop because no 2 knuckles will be exactly the same. We had to use washers as well to shim the calipers so the caliper would be centered to the rotor. One side is a little different than the other. This project took a LOT of time at the machine shop to get right. The b#tch of the whole project was fitting the calipers correctly over the rotor. This was not something that could be done within one week.

The idea of the project was to offer a good looking brake upgrade with of course the intent of a better braking system. It cost me roughly $1300 when everything was done. The rotors were the biggest cost of roughly $240 a piece w/the hats. The brakes work very,very well and I can't wait to use the Cobalt XR2 pads for the track. Pads for the Wilwood calipers are cheap compared to other makes and models of vehicles. I was told that pad manufacturers base their pricing off of the competiton according to Cobalt.

Comment

Could you please let me know where you got the rotors from, I would like to attempt this project after I finish my turbo project... I'm gonna need to upgrade the brakes to slow me down.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
        Member of MX-3.com
        1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
        1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

This the same modifications that needs to be done to run the RX7 4 piston calipers. Im locating some extra wheel hubs to make the bracket. I wont want to do any modding on my 4wd spindle until I know it will work. Then I will upgrade to larger rotors after it fits.
          1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

I've ended up with Jaydog's car and have this sweet brake setup up for sale on mx-3.

Comment

Working...
            X