No announcement yet.

H type helical LSD(Mfactory)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring gear dissasembly & fitment to the lsd.
    Important note-Wear eye protection when knocking the heads off of the rivits, they fly around like little bullets

Im having notable issues wiht the ring gear & secondary shaft not meshing properly- still very very unsure why. Im going to disassemble my 4.10 transmission now & check things internally with that. Perhaps theres some issue with the 3.85 causing it to be difficult.

Stay tuned for fitment & testing on the 4.10

Pictures----
    Attached Files
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Awesome pics Ryan!

Comment

Are you using the right secondary shaft with the ring gear? You won't be able to use the 3.85 on the 4.10 secondary and vice versa.

Comment

its 3.85 & 3.85 alright...... by the looks of things the 3.85 is scrap metal. & im not too happy about it either
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Uh-oh... This might mean I'll be paying for a rebuild/install sooner than I thought, haha.
            1990 MX-6 GT'ALITA' 2nd Gen Struts & Springs Dutch FSTB, Manual Belts & Windows
            BUILT ENGINE - forged pistons - over-bored block - aluminum flywheel
            PORTED/POLISHED HEAD - oversized intake valves - custom valve guides
            EVO III 16G 2.5" Electric Cutout, RFL BOV

Comment

Okay,

I need help from anyone who's ever played around with the H boxes & opened one up.
              Here's what im experiencing:

it appears as if the ring gear & according gear on the secondary shaft are working against themselves more then the usual found with helical cut
              the ring gear appears to almost be out of perfect round (3.85 & 4.10)& given that tends to move in/out @ the secondary shafts corresponding gear- basically making itself kick around a bit off to the edge.

My best guess with the 3.85(significantly worse then the 4.10) is that the notchy/sticking i was encountering is do to such extremely slow rotations as i was checking everything carefully. when turning slow the momentum isnt there to "kickup/out" the ring gear thus a notchy & sticking feeling. spun @ a higher speed its a clunk clunk notchy feeling.
              With the top case on the sticking must be coming from the inability of the differential to shift around @ all & "kickup/out"

With the 4.10 installed its clunky & can be noted to "kickup/out" but not nearly @ such a measurable amount causing a binding feeling- just meerly a clunky/notchy feeling.

NOTE*** i've tested the ring gear-to-secondary shaft in both LSD & OEM diff combinations. Both of which yield similar situations. This gives me the eidea that it is not relative to the LSD fitment/install

I need input from those who've ever cracked open the H box, & anyone who may have run a guru as well.

Please help- the sooner i can figure this out the quicker we can have LSD's in hand- fitment is perfect as far as i can see.

Comment

Maybe PM Jesiotrot He has played around with a few H-type boxes before and has one with a guru in it.

Comment

i'll try to catch him sometime on MSN, meanwhile any input is helpful

Comment

I dont really get what you mean, h boxes are generally not as smooth as a g-series. Have you completely assembled a box and tried turning it from the input shaft? How did the box feel before you pulled it apart? Did they both come from running cars? Its pretty hard to damage the internals of the box, they are quite beefy.

Comment

i dont' believe the internals are damaged. i don't believe that they are perfectly round & symetrical. or maybe its something else.
                      "generally not as smooth as a g series"
                      what do you mean by that?

Comment

I dont know if you have access to a lathe, but it might useful to spin the whole LSD assembly and ring gear on its bearing axis and see if there is any radial run out. Maybe do it to the secondary shaft too.

It could even be that one of the new bearings is not right....which is causing it to bind at one spot during the rotation....

It just seems a little bit strange that the same thing is happening in both gearboxes you used to test, makes me think what the common point is...the LSD and bearings.....

If you bolt the factory open centre back in, is it still a problem ? that would help rule out bearings I guess.

Comment

with the open diff it is still a problem yes.
                          Thats where i throw up my hands in confusion

Comment

Newb question, you think it may have to do with the sequence of the bolts being tightened on the ring to the LSD? But if it is giving you the same problem on the open diff, then that statement is retractable, how are you affixing the ring back to the open diff?
                            This is my BP. There are many like it but this one is mine. My BP is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my BP is useless. Without my BP I am useless. I must drive my BP true. I must drive straighter than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me.

Comment

its a press fit secure enough on the open diff to not need bolts

Comment

Hmm, the next person I would speak to would Gavin on Mx6.com....maybe send him a PM.

He did that write up on the guru install, all those years ago, see if he noticed anything like that....Maybe both your gearboxes are no good, possible but unlikely....maybe thats how theyre meant to be....possible but also unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                                X