skid racin' thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skid racin' thread

so since there seem to be a few of us here who have/are building drift cars, I figured it might be cool to have a thread where we can nerd out about ****/post inspiration pics/etc. anyone using a Mazda chassis right now? I know mx-3_4ever had an FC at one point, and I intend to pick up an NA6 as soon as the wagon's gone...

also, Nakamura vs Kumakubo tsuiso battle, because reasons:

sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Originally posted by cis2711 View Post
    I have a 2.3L-T from a 87 XR4TI on the engine stand in my garage.....and the harness....and the ecu....also in the garage
    I'd use that, dude- swap to the bigger VAFM from the later-style SVO and party.

I think my friend's SVO is gonna be pretty rad- it's got a Stinger manifold with the community 50-trim T3/T4 on it, and we worked out how to run the IC piping without having to a) run it all the way the **** across the engine bay or b) rotate the upper intake so that will probably be the next step after he replaces the lower radiator mount. IC piping will be in the way of the stock VAFM positioning, but the piping for that is really too short for much more than the stock turbo so we're gonna relocate the coolant overflow to the other side of the car and move the VAFM and intake over to where the coolant overflow and battery usually are. should keep any weird intake resonance **** from happening and help keep the VAFM door from slamming open so he can run stock management for a bit.
    sigpic

Comment

I just sold my toy truck, Bernice, for 5K so I am a bit freed up on funds at the moment. I came across the parts car 5 months ago when a drunkard decided to drive into some trees. I scored it for $300. The 80 hatchback only cost me $500. I bought the 2.3L-T from the xr4ti last summer for $300 with harness and computer and vafm. So now I'm torn between a turboed 2.3L and a turboed 5.0L.. The 5.0 is carbureted right now with a 4 barrel holley and **** heads with **** stock small primary headers.

The 2.3L has forged internals and the smaller of the two T3 turbos that came on them in xr4ti's. So it is capable of 300hp I believe I am just leery of factory tune **** you know? I am not beyond asking Lex to build me a unit if he has the time to do so on short notice but do I want to manage a 2.3L or a 5.0L? The 5.0 would make the front heavier but have monster torque output on the fly and the turbo of choice would kick in above 3Krpm. All of this is up in the air at the moment but I need to figure it out before the warm weather is over this year.

Comment

Oh and check this **** out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh_HtCzHUgg

Comment

hmm, I'd honestly do whatever it takes to get it running as-is for now, then put some money into the suspension, a decent bucket seat + steering wheel, and an LSD or welded diff. what I've discovered from watching local drifting the last few years (and my one attempt at it so far) is that having power will make it easier to drift, but it will also cover up bad habits and make it a little harder to learn. if the stock motor isn't worth saving, swap in whichever of the other two will be better from a reliability standpoint (my guess is the 302 will be simpler to run) and just get seat time, then add power over next winter.

I think either motor would be great for drifting- I haven't seen anyone using a 2.3T around here yet but there are usually a few 302-powered cars running locally that seem to do okay.

that Tuerck video is pretty rad. car sounds mean as **** in person (when it's running right).
          sigpic

Comment

You've seen it in person? I'd love to, doesn't he drive a scion now though?

I am a bit worried about the solid rear axle but I suppose the mustang will work out alright for my first drift car. I'm going to just swap in the 302 for now for ease and see what it can do. I have finals this week so I probably won't start tearing into either of the mustangs until next week sometime. What's kind of neat is the front shock towers have camber adjustments form the factory so I'm hoping to get 2-3 degrees negative camber out of them. They probably will max out at 2 though. I don't know if I can even adjust caster on that old of a mustang but I'm sure someone offers a kit with a control arm that can be adjusted.
            Last edited by cis2711; 08-28-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

yeah, I've seen him at E-town with it- he was doing some tandem runs with Steve Angerman, so it was pretty cool to watch. sounded like the car was breaking up pretty badly, so he didn't make too many runs IIRC. usually he drives the SR missile car at Club Loose events- his 2J Scion is his competition car.

Solid axle will work just fine, AE86 Corollas use a solid axle and they drift just fine. it's been a while since I looked at Fox body drifting stuff (long enough that I've forgotten the name of the Fox drifting forum) but I think the usual basic setup is GC coils up front and lowering springs in the rear, and it's pretty important to weld in torque boxes and subframe connectors so you don't rip the floor up. that factory camber adjustment seems pretty neat- I don't know what the Mustang guys use for alignment settings, I know with an S-chassis you typically start with factory settings for most of it and go from there.
              sigpic

Comment

Update

I did a v8 swap for now and dropped some cash on suspension. I also swapped in a 373 posi rear that I didn't know at the time wasn't setup correctly but it could be worse. It whines on decel. It might need backlash adjusted. The pattern looked spot on when I inspected it.

I am researching the boss 302 from Fordracing as they are 340hp out of the box and forged bottom internals. This leaves much room for boost later on but will be potent enough without it. I also scored a fuel injected wiring harness and stock intake(doubt I'll make use of the stock intake if I do go FI.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1170[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	1238869

Name:	IMG_1172[1].jpg
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	1238870

Name:	IMG_1326[1].jpg
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	1238871

Name:	IMG_1327[1].jpg
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	1238872

Name:	IMG_1328[1].jpg
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	1238873

Name:	IMG_1330[1].jpg
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	1238874

Before suspension:

Name:	IMG_1230[1].jpg
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	1238875

After suspension:

Name:	IMG_1332[1].jpg
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	1238876

Comment

looks good, dude- what suspension did you go with?

you're not the only one having diff issues- mine clunks like crazy under light throttle, it's super annoying so I'm probably going to end up pulling it so I can figure out what's wrong (gotta wait until the car's running again to get the spare diffs welded)
                  sigpic

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	1238878

my buddy's track car is now a street car again and it is so ****ing good.
                    sigpic

Comment

That 240 looks nice but how does it run? Does it get wheel hop?

Getting diffs right sucks. I will likely blow this 3.73 up before I go back in there again, and if/when I do, I'm considering a spool 4.10. I've heard spools eat wheel bearings. No fu**s given.

The suspension: Raceland coilovers, Raceland caster camber plates, Steeda bumpsteer kit, Eibach anti sway bars 35mm front and 24mm rear, and SVE tubular rear upper and lower control arms, and Kenny Brown subframe connectors.

I went with a factory "sport steer" 2.5 turn lock to lock power rack for ease in throwing the wheel during transfer. I need to get into a K member and fully adjustable LCA from AJE if I want to increase steering angle, but that will have to wait until next year.

I have a chasis engineering 8 point cage I want to weld in before winter hits. I'm doing cost comparisons now between building a 302 production roller block from 89 that a friend is selling for $300, and just simply buying the 340hp 302 BOSS long block from Fordracing-->$6500.
                      http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10267
                      If I build a production block it will be difficult to spend less than $6k when everything is added up and the machining is done, because in all honesty it would have to be a 306 when everything is said and done. One thing I like about the new Boss block is it is 4 bolt main cap and it is a thicker webbing and thicker casting than all production 2 bolt main 302's from the 80's and 90's. Why do I want one from the 80-90s?, because roller cam, that's why lol. Otherwise I'd love to go with an old truck 302 from the 70's especially if it's a Mexican casting.
                      Last edited by cis2711; 08-28-2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Are you seriously going to get into a Miata? If so what engine are you going with?

Comment

the 240 is a.w.e.s.o.m.e. no wheel hop, no bull****. redtop SR with Weiscos/ARP studs/Tomei HG/Tomei ARMS turbo, 740s/N62/JWT ECU. last I knew he was running 18psi (so it's probably making 350ish whp), the car moves. it's got pretty much everything PBM makes in the suspension- coils/knuckles/LCAs/tension rods/RUCAs/traction + toe rods, it's a total sweetheart to drive. hoping that when I get mine back together and aligned it'll drive like his does.

that suspension setup sounds cool, I didn't know Raceland made Fox stuff. decent quality? how is the angle on the Fox from the factory? I seem to remember reading something about taking the internal stoppers out on the rack for more angle... or maybe I'm thinking about F-bodies. I forget. as for the engine, I dunno... $6500 would get you an LQ9/T56 swap and more than 340hp. my opinion is probably irrelevant here, given that my usual plan is to run a bunch of boost until the engine blows up and then just swap in another one. also I don't know **** about V8s other than Blazin674's Camaro was the angriest-sounding car I've ever heard in my life and more cars should sound like that.

seriously, this thing is glorious:

Miata is tempting. doing anything on this Nissan is miserable and I miss having a convertible. if I do get one, it'll get my GTR motor and enough boost to be terrifying.
                          sigpic

Comment

I work at Chevrolet. There's a 6.0 core engine outside in storage and I could buy it for $600. The T56 would be a pretty penny and idk much about their resilience. I would also have to wire it up and use a ecu. I wonder..

Comment

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...mber-Kit-79-93

http://www.levelten.com/product_p/std-bulletproof.htm

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Parts-Overview

It looks fun but complicated and expensive. Maybe more than $6500? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X