No announcement yet.

Monday starts the weight lose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well after 2 weeks of not going because of the damn toe I went. Yesterday was the 1st day back. Couldn't do the whole time on the treadmill I found out. That's fine cause I can work that back up. I was very surprised when I weighed myself and accually was 1/2lb less than I was 2 weeks ago lol. As of right now I'm sitting at 249.4lbs
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

means the last 2 weeks you've been doing something right @ least, keep up the work chris were rootin for ya
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Bumping this back because I'm a fat bastard. Since the wifey got pregnant and gained weight I slipped up bad. After all this time I knew I was gaining so I stepped on the scale sun morning......276.6

So for the past week I have been being strict on what I eat and how much. Limited sodas to 2 a day. 20oz or less each time. No candy what so ever. No snacks that aren't small portioned(like no grab bags of chips?ect). Been eating small portions 3 times a day, I know you're suppose to eat less more often to keep the matabolizim(sp) up but I dont). Well weighed myself this morning and I'm back in the 260s. 268.8 to be exact.

Since we moved I no longer have access to a gym and between the economy,new baby,new house and my urge to go faster I really don't want to jion a gym nor do I have time for it. So there will be less sitting around the hous on the wekends. If I just walk around the block or mow the lawn I will stay active. So far I feel better.

Goal is 230 by my birthday (aug 5th) and 210-215 or less by my anniversary (nov 18th). I'm sure the wifey would like to bang the guy she married 5 yrs ago lol.
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Best luck bubba if I can quit my dirty nicotine habit you can get the pounds off
          Check out the Pics
          sigpic
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
          Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

do it up chris!

walmart has cheap steel weights
            buy some & a free bar that'll save u from some gym costs
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

most people stay fat for two reasons 1beer! 2 fast food . ive lost 14 lbs since january from no more fast food only subway if i have to and slimfast shakes for am hrs with 1 metrx protein bar in am too then a regular dinner and im a service plumber i never get a break im always movin (i like to move it move it)
              also wea peotein shakes at night with the iron gym to do leg lifts and pull ups

not tryin to thread jack but i just feel strong about this im good at this .

Comment

some advice chris.
                regular sodas are a no go, there are nearly 60g of sugar in one bottle of coke. i cut out soda and lost about 10lbs. you dont want simple carbs like sugar and "enriched flour" eat whole grain bread, NOT wheat bread, pastas are another no go, remember whole grains and complex carbs. keep the carbs, calories and fat down. and i know i like to eat a lot so i look for things that are low in the 3 things i just listed so i can eat more than a tiny serving. for example, turkey bacon has .5 grams of fat, 35 calories and no carbs so you can eat 3 or 4 slices. and a good snack i found is sugar free jello. 10 calories!!! and it tastes good. and if you dont have access to a gym just jog, thats an excellent cardio activity.
                -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                VF10 powered!
                262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I just started this P90X, lets see the results in abt 90 days, lol

Comment

Week 1 and I'm down 10 lbs. Did 10+ hrs in yard work over the weekend and kept away from eating a lot. Basically brought myself back to normal meals. Still drank the beer. That is my 1 downfall that I'm really concidering giving up. I hate regular soda btw. Always drank diet or zero sodas.
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                      Week 1 and I'm down 10 lbs. Did 10+ hrs in yard work over the weekend and kept away from eating a lot. Basically brought myself back to normal meals. Still drank the beer. That is my 1 downfall that I'm really concidering giving up. I hate regular soda btw. Always drank diet or zero sodas.
                      Wow... 10 pounds in one week. While that sounds good, please be careful and also keep it in perspective. I don't believe that your 10 pound loss was all fat. Remember, one pound of human fat contains about 3500 kcals (kilocalories.... nutritional CALORIES like what is printed on packages). If all 10 pounds of the weight loss were fat pounds, that means you would have had to have used up 35,000 kcals above and beyond the 2000 - 2500 kcals you need each day just to maintain you current size/weight. So, if you're normally a little more active on avg, then 2500 x 7 = 17,500 kcals. 17,500 + 35,000 = 52,500 kcals in seven days. That's a huge amount of energy.

Not trying to burst your bubble.... just trying to make sure everyone has a realistic understanding of the actual physiology of the change. I think it's great that you are working on becoming more fit. Just don't use weight loss as the only or most important stat to determine your results.

Keeping up your routine, you might end up putting on 5 - 10 pounds of muscle over the next 3 - 4 months. While this is a good thing, some people get depressed because the scale isn't going down anymore.

% body fat measurement is still the fitness industry's gold standard for determining fitness results and estimating one's chances of heart disease issues.

Keep up your routine (carefully). If you have any questions, let me know.

LN323

Comment

Thanks. I'm not trying to lose weight per say but get in better shape by keeping myself more active on the weekends and not eating all the **** food. I was eating 4 meals a day and snacks after 3 of them. So now I just eliminated the snacks and down sized the portions only a little. So for real I think those 10 lbs were just because I switched routines very drasticly and I don't expect 10lbs a week. Figure 2-5 a week is good but my rolls will do the talking as far as me "getting in shape" is concerned(sp). That yard work was a lot as well. It was in the high 80s with the sun beating down and I was sweating so that was a big step for me. Wore me out for sure but I kept up so I know I'm getting the nutrition still or I wouldn't be able to keep up for as long as I did.
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

i just bought leg weights today chris- $15 @ walmart those combined with leglifts will do a good deal for your "rolls"

second note- diet soda is worse for you. the man responsible for spreading that thick lie around is a gazillionare

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                            i just bought leg weights today chris- $15 @ walmart those combined with leglifts will do a good deal for your "rolls"

second note- diet soda is worse for you. the man responsible for spreading that thick lie around is a gazillionare
                            Okay, two things.....

First, leg-lifts might do something for someone's "rolls", but usually not. The basic reason why is that there is no such thing as spot reducing. It's all "intake vs. expenditure". None of us have control as to how extra energy gets stored just like we don't really have control over how it comes off. We take off excess energy in about the same reverse way as it went on. Universities have done studies where-in participants did 1000 sit-ups everyday for 30 days straight. About all they did was greatly improve muscular endurance of the ab section. The thickness of fat in the mid-section was not impacted directly. Those that were impacted were because it was shown that their expenditure started exceeding their intake and therefore they started losing fat from many locations.... not just the abs. If spot reduction really worked why would someone doing 1000 sit-ups a day start taking fat off on the back of their arms? The control group who still took in more Calories than they burned off EVEN while doing 1000 sit-ups per day gained fat in the mid-section.

Remember..... intake vs. expenditure. Just get out and use more energy. That's the biggest factor any of us can do. That's a start anyway. There's more to it than that, but let's just start there.

Also, keep in mind that people shouldn't starve themselves either. Other studies show that if a person wishes to reduce the fat levels in their body, a good approach is to create a difference of about 500 - 1000 kcals per day between intake and expenditure. Do the math. Burn off 500 more kcals than consumed/day x 7 days = 3500 kcals or one pound of human fat. At the more extreme levels 1000 x 7 = 7000 kcals or two pounds of human fat. Studies have basically shown that any greater of a difference and the body goes into "starvation mode". So, losing more than two pounds a week means a person is not just losing fat. Since these are estimations, it is pretty well accepted that it is possible to lose a little more than two pounds of fat in a given week, but that is very difficult. So, when clients used to come to me and wanted me to praise them for losing 5 - 10 pounds in a week, sure.... I would praise them and then educate them too.

As for diet soda.... yeah, it's not great, but it's better than drinking regularly-sweetened sodas as far as the caloric value is concerned. Water is best. Things like REAL orange juice, grapefruit juice and tomato juice a good in moderation. Everything is "okay" in moderation. That's the biggie....

The two largest studies ever done on Nutri-Sweet (aspartame) debunked all of the rumors about turning into formaldehyde at room temp and so on. They couldn't find any link with diseases (cancer) BUT they did suggest that there are probably those individuals who might be prone to headaches due to aspartame intake that are probably better off not consuming it. The knuckleheads who jumped on the bandwagon screaming for the government to "ban" the substance were being a little extreme. Hey, there are people who are allergic to milk or peanut butter.... should we ban those items off the market too?

The one thing to be weary of is that they weren't certain about the possible effects that aspartame might have on the unborn, so the recommendation was that pregnant women should best avoid consumption just to be on the safe side. Then again, have you seen the list of what pregnant women should be avoiding?

Remember, aspartame is a modified sugar. It's still a sugar. It's just 200x sweeter than table sugar therefore you only have to use about 1/200 the amount to get the same sweetness. It has caloric value, but so little has to be used that it doesn't add significantly to the amount of calories in a product.

Okay.... I'm done. Hope this helps.

Last edited by LN323; 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM. Reason: additions and spelling

Comment

well the study you might have seen that links diet soda to obesity is when people drink a diet soda and then use that as an excuse and compensate with big mac or something. in other words its just a coincidnce that fat people like diet coke and use it as an excuse to eat other things that make up far more than just a regular soda.
                              -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                              VF10 powered!
                              262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                              13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

The one pretty bad thing about diet sodas is that too much of it over time can deplete the bones of its density which can create some major problems when we are older.

Also, it's pretty accurate to think of diet soda as a "filler" drink or a drink more for pleasure because of its taste and carbonation. There's hardly any nutritional value..... no vitamins, only sodium (and most Americans get too much of that anyway). So, the nutritional "density" pretty much sucks. Don't get me wrong.... I drink the stuff... principle of moderation. I have about the equivalent of one per week, maybe three per week during the summer.

Where people get into problems is that Americans consume an average of around 700 cans per year. That's pretty close to 2/day.... Wow. And if they're regularly sweetened.... ouch. That's a boatload of empty calories.

Oh yeah, and about the intake vs. expenditure.... adult males shouldn't go below about 1500 kcals per day and women shouldn't go below about 1200 per day. That's bordering starvation and you don't want the body to have that response.

Water.... the best stuff. Humans have relied on it for 10's of thousands of years. Soda is a 130 year old drink (about).
                                Last edited by LN323; 04-29-2009, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X