No announcement yet.

Window tint help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, as always, check your local tint laws!
    BTW, the best tint shop in the whole world is in Cali. I cant think of the name right now but they are really famous for doing this type of tint work on trucks.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Why is everyone paying so much for tint, my friend's dad hooked me up with tint, for 89 dollars for everything but my front window.... cause it's illegal in Delaware, like most states. If i have the hook-up with a tint place, im sure you all do too. Why 200 +???

Comment

$90 for everything but the front is about the norm. I paid $175 which was everything including the strip across the windshield.

Comment

My buddy used to have a cavalier with "water drip" tint, it was sick!
          2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by JProtege
            yea definately get a pro to do it, plus they'll have better materials that last longer and look better. You can get a real nice tint job around here for around 290 . . . none of that kmart looking stuff that turns purple or bubbles or peels etc.
            $290? Damn, I paid just over $200 CDN for mine. $290 US is absurd!

Eugene, because our camp is at the bottom of a valley surrounded by mountains, the weather changes from day to day. But's it's been cold for the last week. Actually, yesterday it was almost warm enough for shorts.
            2002 Blackmica P5
            CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

eh, depends on where you live and what the going price is.. this was discussed MONTHS ago by a thread i started.. it depends on what the going market price for a tint job is in your area.. if you're gonna bitch.. pay the 40 bucks on the tint and do it yourself.. it'll look like ****, I KNOW from first hand
              peace

Comment

Originally posted by redfyre
                $290? Damn, I paid just over $200 CDN for mine. $290 US is absurd!

Eugene, because our camp is at the bottom of a valley surrounded by mountains, the weather changes from day to day. But's it's been cold for the last week. Actually, yesterday it was almost warm enough for shorts.
                Damn you ! I can only dream about something over 0 celsium I can imagine myself in the shorts on a street surrounded by snow and ice
                98 protege LX for appearance
                89 626 GT for performance

Comment

Yeah, but I'd give up the rest of the nice days here just to be home again. *sigh*
                  2002 Blackmica P5
                  CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

If you have a lot of time or a free weekend it is worth doing yourself IMO. I had a friend help me out and it took about 3 hours today. If you want no bubbles you must take your windows out of your car. Also use the lubricant solution(its like a buck) and a squigee(spelling?). For the strip across the windshield use the lub and squigee, and you also need a heat gun(a hairdryer works) to get the crease out. use a razor to trim the edges of the tint after it dries, then put your windows back in. The rear windshield is a huge pain in the ass so im going to get it done by a pro, I paid $30 for the tint film and strip, and the back will only cost 30 bucks so im pretty happy. I went with 5% rear, 35% front because the legal limit is 43% here. Ill get some pics up if it ever stops snowing here.

Comment

You should be able to get a 3 window tint job professionally done for about $65-$90.
                      But in MY opinion, don't bother unless you easily have that extra money to throw around.
                      If you have the patience and skills to do it properly, then it's pretty easy. The first time I tinted on my own I did the 3 rear windows on my MR2 and ended up with 1 bubble the size of a match head, and it lasted as long as I owned the car (few years).
                      Every tint job I've done since that has worked perfect, with no tiny bubble or stretch at all.
                      What's the secret? Perperation.
                      Make sure your windows are EXTREMELY clean, and then after that, spend 20 more minutes making them even cleaner! After you're sure they are clean enough, clean them again!!!
                      Then it's best to use air pressure to blow any fibres off the surface. And of course, be carefull to keep the tint unwrinkled when you are storing it before tinting. When tinting, there really isn't such a thing as "too much" solution when applying the film.
                      Another idea that works good is making a paper template of the window shape, then tracing it onto the film so that you have the tint ready to go on in the exact shape of the window, this way you pretty much eliminate chances of wrinkling and tearing when shaping it.

There's no reason why for $20 you can't do a tint job just as good as a shop would do.
                      I like rotaries. Email me if you want.

Comment

How are those pre-cut 3M tins they sell on ebay? Since its pre=cut i'm assuming it would be easy?

Comment

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you guys, for the most part they are not pro's. I've had a few friends working at pro shops doing tinting and what not coming in with no experience what so ever. They are shown what to over about an hour before they were put on thier own. The only difference is that they use the right materials, and they dont do anything half ass. If your good with your hands its not so much a problem, but if your not sure what your doing I would recommend you do let a shop do it, at least then your guarenteed the job will be done right
                          94' Mazda Protege'... trying to return it to former glory.

aim: zep867

Comment

Well I got my 3M pre-cut tint today that I purchased on ebay. I'm going to install it tomorrow morning. Maybe i'll take some pics...this is my first try at tinting...hope its easy since its pre-cut...but something about the back widow being hard because your suppose to use a heat gun or something? Is it because its curved?? Oh well...at least I have a 3M tinters squeege and I bought some baby shampoo (which the directions said to mix with water and use and the application spray).....we'll see how it goes!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiiannights
                              Well I got my 3M pre-cut tint today that I purchased on ebay. I'm going to install it tomorrow morning. Maybe i'll take some pics...this is my first try at tinting...hope its easy since its pre-cut...but something about the back widow being hard because your suppose to use a heat gun or something? Is it because its curved?? Oh well...at least I have a 3M tinters squeege and I bought some baby shampoo (which the directions said to mix with water and use and the application spray).....we'll see how it goes!!
                              if you spent all that money on pre-cut tint.. see if you can get a local custom/tint shop to fix you up a deal.. as you'd be supplying them with pre-cut sheets.. as a concerned human being, i must tell you, after 4 attempts at tinting.. i have YET to get a perfect window (bubbles, creases, holes, stretch cuts..etc.). save yourself the money and the trouble
                              kevin
                              ps.. search for my previous thread on window tinting.. it covers much of what has just been explained

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                                if you spent all that money on pre-cut tint.. see if you can get a local custom/tint shop to fix you up a deal.. as you'd be supplying them with pre-cut sheets.. as a concerned human being, i must tell you, after 4 attempts at tinting.. i have YET to get a perfect window (bubbles, creases, holes, stretch cuts..etc.). save yourself the money and the trouble
                                kevin
                                ps.. search for my previous thread on window tinting.. it covers much of what has just been explained
                                Thanks for the advice. But actually it was only like $35 which to me is cheap...and the car is not worth paying like $200 to have a professional tinit job done..... well I guess i'll see tomorrow....I want to try to do it by myself.....

Comment

Working...
                                X