Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autox Photos - CA Speedway 12/13/03 (LOTS OF PICS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you get some pics of that GTX 323?
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
      Did you get some pics of that GTX 323?
      no i only took pics on Saturday when it wasn't raining...camera is too expensive to get wet....

Comment

Hi,

I'm the owner of that miata, friend of mine from this forum sent me the link to this post so I thought I'll drop a line.

It's interesting to know what people post when they don't think you'll ever read it.

I'm doing different stuff with my miata (the new POS every time, haha), what do I know, I only studied aerodynamics for a while in the air force...
        My miata's main use is the big tracks and not autox, I'm autoxing just for the fun of it, except of the spoiler in the back rest of the stuff comes to play only at track speeds, reducing lift and turbulence are the main goals, function over form, if it works I really don't give a f%@k how it looks like.

From the bunch of emails I'm getting with Qs about my work with the miata I get the feeling that not the entire rest of the world thinks it's a joke.

I don't trash talk people in my club, I take it to the track.
        I may win or lose, but it's all good.

Peace,

Moti and the Blackbird, a 95 Flyin' miata 2.

BTW, that joke of mine runs 0-60 in under 5 secs, just for the sake of laughing, and thanx for the pics, I didn't take any...
        Last edited by Flyin 95; 12-18-2003, 02:20 AM.

Comment

LOL, I dunno about the tailights helping the aerodynamics..
          Last edited by charles; 12-18-2003, 03:03 AM.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

So you have altezzas why?

Comment

your aero stuff is awfully high up off the ground for it to be of much use aerodynamically....especially the rear diffuser. Does it have a full body undertray? Shaped at all?

why not run a front splitter then? or ditch the mirrors. That's where most of your drag is coming from. And patching all the seam lines...
              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
              -93 MR2, 129 ES
              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                your aero stuff is awfully high up off the ground for it to be of much use aerodynamically....especially the rear diffuser. Does it have a full body undertray? Shaped at all?

why not run a front splitter then? or ditch the mirrors. That's where most of your drag is coming from. And patching all the seam lines...
                Jesse, good points, but my post tells you why it's like that.
                Since I don't have a wind tunnel in my garage, I am not even thinking about creating downforce with the diffuser - read the post again - reducing lift and turbulence are the main goals, which I can happily say that I met. Driving in freeway speeds and up the car accelerates faster, period.
                The rear spolier does create drag, but it's a trade off for the much needed grip and stability (you know, short wheelbase car, power to weight ratio better than a corvette, not enough tires...), at least I built it adjustable, so I can run it in the high position for autox and the lower position for anywhere else.

As for the other ideas, funny that you mention the mirrors and splitter, because as of monday the mirrors were taken off the car and replaced with the small CF racecar's mirrors, and, a front bumper with a splitter is being worked on for the past some time, I'm still changing a few things with the motor that will determine the shape of the front bumper to assure the best use of ducting (changes like location of oil cooler and possibly a different intercooler).
                Building this car takes a long process, unfortunately I don't have all the time in the world but I'm in no hurry.

As for all you guys that start posting those awesome comments about the tail lights, I think the original ones are ugly and don't do much aerodynamic work either, the opposite - they create terrible drag and cause a high speed vibration (joking here..)

Peace,

Moti and the Blackbird.

Comment

Flyin 95,
                  It seems as though you know your stuff. I take back my original comment about your car being a 'joke'...it is bad to assume things about other's cars.

You have to admit though, in a stranger's eyes without having any other knowledge about your car, he or she would look at your car and go, "WTF". Like you said, you don't really give a #%# how it looks.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin 95
                    Hi,

I'm the owner of that miata, friend of mine from this forum sent me the link to this post so I thought I'll drop a line.

It's interesting to know what people post when they don't think you'll ever read it.

I'm doing different stuff with my miata (the new POS every time, haha), what do I know, I only studied aerodynamics for a while in the air force...
                    My miata's main use is the big tracks and not autox, I'm autoxing just for the fun of it, except of the spoiler in the back rest of the stuff comes to play only at track speeds, reducing lift and turbulence are the main goals, function over form, if it works I really don't give a f%@k how it looks like.

From the bunch of emails I'm getting with Qs about my work with the miata I get the feeling that not the entire rest of the world thinks it's a joke.

I don't trash talk people in my club, I take it to the track.
                    I may win or lose, but it's all good.

Peace,

Moti and the Blackbird, a 95 Flyin' miata 2.

BTW, that joke of mine runs 0-60 in under 5 secs, just for the sake of laughing, and thanx for the pics, I didn't take any...
                    I have no problerm at all that your reading it, i had no idea if you would or wouldn't, still doesn't change my opinion.

Thats all fine and dandy, maybe for a track the fins and what not would help, but as an autox car (of which i see you out there often) it's a joke. If i had of seen you there, i would have said so. I am not saying your an ass or anything, not at all, strictly about the car. but from the looks of that car at an autox event, it's not going to blend in
                    i bet yor a real nice guy, but the car is way too fugly, you have to admit...you kinda did in a way tho.

While i had no idea you had an aerodynamics background, i'll take back my POS comments, i bet you know whats up, but man, they just look freaky...

I stand firm on my opinion that it's fugly, but i do respect the fact you race it, as i said before....and the fact it's fast, i never doubted that. I guess atleast all your wheels match....

i'm not sure if the "take it to the track" comment was a challenge or not... (i haven't looked at the results to see how you've been doing, so i may get blown away) but i'd be glad to go head to head for fun.

Comment

hahaha, im sure the same could be said that flame tint and an enternally primer'd front end on a certain blue 1st gen Protege....

!!!!! hahaha

i got lots of comments for having a tan car. Shrug.
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin 95
                        Jesse, good points, but my post tells you why it's like that.
                        Since I don't have a wind tunnel in my garage, I am not even thinking about creating downforce with the diffuser - read the post again - reducing lift and turbulence are the main goals, which I can happily say that I met. Driving in freeway speeds and up the car accelerates faster, period.
                        The rear spolier does create drag, but it's a trade off for the much needed grip and stability (you know, short wheelbase car, power to weight ratio better than a corvette, not enough tires...), at least I built it adjustable, so I can run it in the high position for autox and the lower position for anywhere else.

As for the other ideas, funny that you mention the mirrors and splitter, because as of monday the mirrors were taken off the car and replaced with the small CF racecar's mirrors, and, a front bumper with a splitter is being worked on for the past some time, I'm still changing a few things with the motor that will determine the shape of the front bumper to assure the best use of ducting (changes like location of oil cooler and possibly a different intercooler).
                        Building this car takes a long process, unfortunately I don't have all the time in the world but I'm in no hurry.

Peace,

Moti and the Blackbird.
                        adding downforce is the same as reducing lift, just a bit further along. i just don't think the diffuser is going to do much, as you've built it, due to where it sits in accordance to the ground. It needs to be lower, so it can actually seperate the air better. you just have really turbulent flow underneath the diffuser at that point, so it's not doing it's job.

and a front splitter could have easily been incorporated with sheet aluminum, which it seems you have a handle on producing the shapes you want. should get rid of some of the front end "lightness" that you'd see at triple digit speeds. Keep the steering feel a bit more and such...
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                          no i only took pics on Saturday when it wasn't raining...camera is too expensive to get wet....
                          WHAT !!! THE NERVE

YOU NEVER HEARD OF THE PLASTIC ZIP LOCK BACK WITH A HOLE IN IT ....
                          NO PERSON INTO PHOTOGRAPHY EVER SAYS THOSE WORDS YOU JUST SAID... I CAN'T EVEN REPEAT THEM.... .

SHAME SHAME
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                            WHAT !!! THE NERVE

YOU NEVER HEARD OF THE PLASTIC ZIP LOCK BACK WITH A HOLE IN IT ....
                            NO PERSON INTO PHOTOGRAPHY EVER SAYS THOSE WORDS YOU JUST SAID... I CAN'T EVEN REPEAT THEM.... .

SHAME SHAME
                            ain't no ziplock in the world able to save me from the wrath of woman if if where to get ****ed up....

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                              hahaha, im sure the same could be said that flame tint and an enternally primer'd front end on a certain blue 1st gen Protege....

!!!!! hahaha

i got lots of comments for having a tan car. Shrug.
                              SD!

I've always been the first to bring up the fact my **** don't match or is not painted yet....but tint and paint don't add downforce...or do they?

Comment

After more thought on it, Moti derseves my apopolgies for trashing his car before i understood why it is the way it is, He's an enthusiast just like the rest of us and follows my same philosophy, **** how it looks, just make it perform.

I respect what he's done and the fact he races, but i don't have to like the looks. I made the mistake of talking before thinking, or atleast trying to understand what all those "things" where....i should have known better.

Moti, i am sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X