Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autox Photos - CA Speedway 12/13/03 (LOTS OF PICS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
    ain't no ziplock in the world able to save me from the wrath of woman if if where to get ****ed up....
    nahhh man .. You get a big enough zip lock bag.
    Cut a hole in it big enough for the lens to fit through.
    Then you zip lock the bag .
    and shoot away.

I saw this in a popular photo magazine. ...
    Trust me it works.
    There is nothing worse than to miss a shot, because you are worried about your camera getting wet.

go ahead man .... you can do ittttttttt.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin 95
      Hi,

I'm the owner of that miata, friend of mine from this forum sent me the link to this post so I thought I'll drop a line.

It's interesting to know what people post when they don't think you'll ever read it.

I'm doing different stuff with my miata (the new POS every time, haha), what do I know, I only studied aerodynamics for a while in the air force...
      My miata's main use is the big tracks and not autox, I'm autoxing just for the fun of it, except of the spoiler in the back rest of the stuff comes to play only at track speeds, reducing lift and turbulence are the main goals, function over form, if it works I really don't give a f%@k how it looks like.

From the bunch of emails I'm getting with Qs about my work with the miata I get the feeling that not the entire rest of the world thinks it's a joke.

I don't trash talk people in my club, I take it to the track.
      I may win or lose, but it's all good.

Peace,

Moti and the Blackbird, a 95 Flyin' miata 2.

BTW, that joke of mine runs 0-60 in under 5 secs, just for the sake of laughing, and thanx for the pics, I didn't take any...
      I can't lie at first it was awkard for me to look at the car. I kinda thought it was a joke.
      To be honest it is a very very good thing you posted, because at least I know that you actually had a purpose for doing what you did to the little miata..
      I can't hate on that, you are doing R&D.. and taking your criticisim in the process....
      keep on keeping on ...
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Hey guys,

It's good to see that the wind is blowing in different directions .

Darryl, appology accepted, yes my miata doesn't look like the next girly car you'll see, but R&D does have a price to pay, I mean - if I had the luxury of doing everything from shiny finished CF everyone will say it's the coolest miata ever but f#@k it, aluminum is cheaper and easier to work with (but fugly - c'mon, that's kinda drastic ain't it).
        I'll be happy to come and say hi next month (jan 17th I believe), no hard feeling at all.

Jesse, reducing turbulence and lift is easier than creating real downforce with a diffuser, heck, I wouldn't even call what I have there a diffuser.
        A real diffuser would create cleaner seperation of the boundary layer and downforce with the way it's shaped, coming from the lower part and ending at a higher point.
        This is not the case here.
        Think about the air moving under the car when it reaches the real bumper - that's an air collector! Now remove the collector and you get much less drag and turbulence = car accelerates faster.
        Do the same with the rear wheel wells = car accelerates faster, but not only faster, it is more stable at higher speeds because the lift is reduced - not because it is a real diffuser, just because there's no bumper.
        If you ever get the chance to see the underside of my car you'll see that it is flat (thin for added lightness ) aluminum sheet from the diff back.
        The "end plates" are coming in places I was blocking the air from coming in near the frame rails and on both side to reduce the amount of air flowing from the face of the wheels towards the center of the car.
        It's all shaped the way it is for a reason, in the process of making some serious downforce I am testing different approaches.
        A new front bumper (painted this time) is being formed, that one will be much 'deeper' and will include a front splitter, also next are side skirts to reduce the air flow from the sides to the underside.

I appreciate you guys for opening your minds to the different ideas I brought up, I am familiar with this "WTF..." people are saying when they see my miata, took a lot of **** from the miata community in the past so I don't really get too excited by that anymore, but it's nice when people want to learn why before they judge it or even after ... I had no intentions to start a flame war and very happy to see that it didn't turn into one.
        The miata is my designated track car but autox is an opportunity to get more seat time, sharpening the skills and tightening the nut behind the wheel.

BTW Darryl, I'm not the best autoxer in the bunch out there, I pulled 57.8 when it was wet (last group of the day, actually last run of the day...) so I don't know what are the final results.
        Lisa severy, who I usually compare my times to (she was my instructor for a few times) did a 60.3 for comparison in similar conditions, still, I'm sliding too much, fighting some hard core traction problems with wheels that are just too narrow to begin with (going with 245-255s all around soon, I'm making wider fenders for that) and that nasty open diff that will be replaced soon as well.

Peace, sorry for the length,

Moti and the Blackbird.

Comment

uh can we say du du du du "BATMAN"!!! LOL!!! That miata ia nutz!!!!!!!!!!!
          "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Hey guys,

It's good to see that the wind is blowing in different directions .

Darryl, appology accepted, yes my miata doesn't look like the next girly car you'll see, but R&D does have a price to pay, I mean - if I had the luxury of doing everything from shiny finished CF everyone will say it's the coolest miata ever but f#@k it, aluminum is cheaper and easier to work with (but fugly - c'mon, that's kinda drastic ain't it).
            I'll be happy to come and say hi next month (jan 17th I believe), no hard feeling at all.

BTW Darryl, I'm not the best autoxer in the bunch out there, I pulled 57.8 when it was wet (last group of the day, actually last run of the day...) so I don't know what are the final results.
            Lisa severy, who I usually compare my times to (she was my instructor for a few times) did a 60.3 for comparison in similar conditions, still, I'm sliding too much, fighting some hard core traction problems with wheels that are just too narrow to begin with (going with 245-255s all around soon, I'm making wider fenders for that) and that nasty open diff that will be replaced soon as well.

Peace, sorry for the length,

Moti and the Blackbird.
            Whether we choose to admit it or not, the wind always blows in all directions

Cool man We can stand there and point and snicker at each others primer bumpers and mix matched colored panels :p:

57.8 is very respectable, it was much wetter when you ran. But as usual the rain came 10mins before STS. Hard to say which is worse, the greasy beginning or the puddled end....I managed a 56.3 and i am no autox king myself, don't claim to be this has been my 2nd full year. Lisa is a hard act to follow, shes very fast, but good for you man, beating your instructor. The final results have been posted on the CSCC site, but the links (at least for me) freeze up my browser and cause havoc....

oh and traction is an unholy relentless beast that will never go away. He exists merely to feed off race cars and cause precious 10ths to be lost in time forever.... muhwahahahaha

Comment

Haha, yeah, don't take my comments too seriously, this is coming from a guy with a bumper that looks like it's about to fall off, corner lamps that are zip-tied on.... hehhe.
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                Whether we choose to admit it or not, the wind always blows in all directions

Cool man We can stand there and point and snicker at each others primer bumpers and mix matched colored panels :p:

57.8 is very respectable, it was much wetter when you ran. But as usual the rain came 10mins before STS. Hard to say which is worse, the greasy beginning or the puddled end....I managed a 56.3 and i am no autox king myself, don't claim to be this has been my 2nd full year. Lisa is a hard act to follow, shes very fast, but good for you man, beating your instructor. The final results have been posted on the CSCC site, but the links (at least for me) freeze up my browser and cause havoc....

oh and traction is an unholy relentless beast that will never go away. He exists merely to feed off race cars and cause precious 10ths to be lost in time forever.... muhwahahahaha

Just checked the results -
                You managed a respectable 8th in STS, not bad at all considering the size of the class and some very serious competitors.

I pulled a 3rd in SM2 (I'll take the greasy begining over the standing water any day ), right behind Sam williamson in his wicked Z and Karl asseily in his very well prepped and balanced M coupe, beating Bill chin in Lisa's vette and a couple more guys, SM2 is a small class, but of some guys are running CSM and not SM2 because of the competition with Karl, Bill and Sam...
                Damn that 57.8 of mine would have been a trophy in CSM, we ran at the same time...

I can tell you all about traction problems , but you can just come for a ride next practice, I'll bring the passenger seat and harnesses that are not in the car currently, I found out on saturday that practicing without scaring passengers at the same time is not as much fun :p:, was my first autox as a single seater.
                You'll see for yourself what traction problems mean in miata that puts down to the ground (if there's traction of course) around the 250-260 hp and no race tires yet .

BTW my browser used to freeze every time I came to check the result, so I right click it and saving as and than I can check it out.

See ya next time,

Moti and the Blackbird.

Comment

glad to see this thread turned around. that is some very interesting work (research) you are doing to that miata. as fugly as it may look (yes, it is FUGLY, sorry about the harshness) it one hell of a job you've done on it. so take your ugly @$$ aluminum and miss matched body panels and go kick some @$$. also thanks for the crash course in aerodynamics. I love learning

Comment

Just checked the results -
                    You managed a respectable 8th in STS, not bad at all considering the size of the class and some very serious competitors.

I pulled a 3rd in SM2 (I'll take the greasy begining over the standing water any day ), right behind Sam williamson in his wicked Z and Karl asseily in his very well prepped and balanced M coupe, beating Bill chin in Lisa's vette and a couple more guys, SM2 is a small class, but of some guys are running CSM and not SM2 because of the competition with Karl, Bill and Sam...
                    Damn that 57.8 of mine would have been a trophy in CSM, we ran at the same time...

I can tell you all about traction problems , but you can just come for a ride next practice, I'll bring the passenger seat and harnesses that are not in the car currently, I found out on saturday that practicing without scaring passengers at the same time is not as much fun :p:, was my first autox as a single seater.
                    You'll see for yourself what traction problems mean in miata that puts down to the ground (if there's traction of course) around the 250-260 hp and no race tires yet .

BTW my browser used to freeze every time I came to check the result, so I right click it and saving as and than I can check it out.

See ya next time,

Moti and the Blackbird.
                    Awesome job man, must be small class when 3rd is out of trophy range...

8th huh...thats cool, infact thats the first in maybe 4-5 events that i drove my own car My goal for 2004 is to break up that regular top 5 group...i want in! In STS, we can sometimes be only 10ths away...maybe 1.5-2 secs separate the top 10-12.

Damn, with my 115whp i was spinning through second at the start into the first left.

Comment

Working...
                    X