This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 93BlkOnGreenPro View Post
    I'm thinking a cowl of some sort, probably. And i'm sure the car would benefit from a gob of cool fresh air into that oh so sexy intake manifold
    Neither, it will stick out through the hood to scare the kiddies.
    '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
    '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
    10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
    490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

Originally posted by psiturbo View Post
      Well, you live in CA, I want to order both bumpers, F/R, the total amount for delivery to FL is almost $1,000 with shipping and tax. A grand for two bumpers, c'mmon is a major rip-off, but I guess thats what you got to pay for JDM. After all its just a bumper, I know places around here they sell the stock bumpers for 20 bucks each. I know its not the same, but you got to be realistic of the over-rated price.

ANyway, the thread is not about bumpers so I do apologize.

"It should be alright. Only looking for light boost (5-7 psi, which on this motor comes to about 300 bhp)"... I want to see a dyno once you are done. The engine from stock does 165 +-, to think it will increase almost 140 hp on just 7 psi, mmhh well, I do not know. Then again I do not have much experience on V6, would not touch one even if they pay me, 4 cans is my deal. You say in other forums that power can be achieved, so lets see. That the engine will push hard it is not far from driving a MX-3 and that car with that engine is no bullet. If maybe you were talking about a KL-ZE that would be a total different story.

Besides that, great work, a little over-kill on the job done to it but that is your project. Like in every project there are things I do not like and others I do. I give you ten thousand props for the high quality pictures, for dedicating your sacrificed time and arduous work and have the time to share the evolution of the 323 with us. I saw each and every page, excellent work, you have great talent, welding, prepping, paint, etc amazing skill. Instant subs to this thread!

Why would you doubt close to 300 hp at that psi from a dude that has a drag probe?
      Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
      "Who Dey"

Comment

that's a nice looking plenum. good workmanship
        95 ES
        05 S60R

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
          Neither, it will stick out through the hood to scare the kiddies.
          I like scaring kids. But the only way I can do it is by using the autostart when they walk by. I get a laugh. I would love to have that intake sticking through my hood. Hell, just a v6 would do me justice.

Loving the progress.
          My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Comment

The race engine made 350 crank hp (295 whp) on only 5 psi boost. Granted, it's got much freer heads, but compression is very stock-like (9.5:1) and valves are stock sized. Additionally, 250 whp is fairly average on the KLDE with the 7psi pulley, so I don't think me expecting to be in that ballpark is out of bounds.

Additionally, I don't really want too much power. When I had the ZE-powered 323, there was enough torque on tap to torch the rubber in the first 4 gears - I don't like buying tires quarterly, and this car isn't built for straight line speed. It will make what it will make, and that will be that.

But yeah, power...anyone can make that with a bit of thinking and cash. I want a decently balanced toy with sharp handling that can hold its own anywhere.

---------------

Back on topic - is there a source for the OEM roof rubber strips? The dealer wants $83 per side....

Comment

Without touching the engine, I mean leaving it bone stock, adding 140 hp with 5-7 psi has to be seen. I am not saying it cannot be done, but I am curious how he will do it. Of course if he puts on some cams, pistons, race fuel, etc so then it could be possible.

Having a drag car has nothing to do with it, bro I have drag racers tell me 10@1 will not work on my BP and also that there is no way in hell I am going to control 550cc without a standalone, so just because someone has a drag car does not mean shyt.

Its interesting the challenge he brings to the table, but in stock trim, I am curious how he does it, besides that he is a great builder, painter, what the hell, even photographer, LOL.

In a KLZE, mmhh... maybe, in a KLDE SC mmhh, lets see, once again without touching the engine, cant wait to see a dyno, and if he does it is very impressive.

Note: I replied without reading the above thread... race engine, thats the key! it is not bone stock, besides he does not say much about it which is to be expected.

250 whp is fairly average on the KLDE with the 7psi pulley... SO you see I was not incorrect after all. One thing is to say it, another is to show it, but anyway this is just a thread about a build, WE the numbers is a great project.

Thanks for sharing!
              Last edited by psiturbo; 11-19-2009, 06:03 AM. Reason: JDM POWELOL

Comment

PGTRacer on PT made 398whp on a fully stock internal DE almost 5 years ago. so its not like dans the 1st or the last to push one of these motors. there proven to be more then capable by many.
                ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                What are you driving?

Comment

Originally posted by psiturbo View Post
                  Without touching the engine, I mean leaving it bone stock, adding 140 hp with 5-7 psi has to be seen. I am not saying it cannot be done, but I am curious how he will do it. Of course if he puts on some cams, pistons, race fuel, etc so then it could be possible.

Having a drag car has nothing to do with it, bro I have drag racers tell me 10@1 will not work on my BP and also that there is no way in hell I am going to control 550cc without a standalone, so just because someone has a drag car does not mean shyt.

Its interesting the challenge he brings to the table, but in stock trim, I am curious how he does it, besides that he is a great builder, painter, what the hell, even photographer, LOL.

In a KLZE, mmhh... maybe, in a KLDE SC mmhh, lets see, once again without touching the engine, cant wait to see a dyno, and if he does it is very impressive.

Note: I replied without reading the above thread... race engine, thats the key! it is not bone stock, besides he does not say much about it which is to be expected.

250 whp is fairly average on the KLDE with the 7psi pulley... SO you see I was not incorrect after all. One thing is to say it, another is to show it, but anyway this is just a thread about a build, WE the numbers is a great project.

Thanks for sharing!
                  250 whp is roughly 280 290 crank hp. Not to mention if he does have cams and adjustable gears.

Also having a drag car and drag racers is a total difference. 10:1 is a lot higher than 9:1 but honda dudes do it all the time when they boost alot of their motors. All its gonna mean is things are gonna heat up alot quicker if you don't have your tune right. I'm saying he is a Probe drag racer. He has a car that he built with 490whp at 20 psi. I'd like to think that he would know a ball park figure when he says one. I've heard of stock DE probe motors putting down 275 whp at 7 psi. The thing is its not 4 cylinders we are pushing air into its 6. So more power for less boost because of more cylinders.
                  Last edited by bomdoutscort; 11-19-2009, 08:06 AM.
                  Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                  "Who Dey"

Comment

All I am saying on stock internals, stock manifold and ECU there is no way the DE will make 300 bhp, supercharged 5 to 7 psi.

Of course if you start modifying it will reach that hp, even a lawnmower can do that, lol on forged internals.

monoxi your answer is ambiguous and does not respond my concern at all, you misunderstood what I said.

I have brought up your numbers to the carrito.net website and the guru of V6 all motors responded it is impossible WITHOUT modifications...

Anyway, I am just typing behind a keyboard and I do not even know you, my paycheck will not increase because of this. You touch a very interesting topic about 10@1 and all it does is heat up the engine faster, I totally disagree, your answer is too generic and I do not want to hijack this thread.

Here is a video of the guy I am talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvnn_BXaabI
                    Last edited by psiturbo; 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM. Reason: JDM POWELOL

Comment

You can try www.mazdapartscheap.com for the weather strips dan.

Psi-the boosted de probe guys running 5-7 psi are getting 250whp On stock manifolds,internals and ecus. They're running fmus and afpr
                      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I did a search for the weather strips (if it is the ones on each side between the door frame and front windshield) and could not find any. It seemed a little confusing and it seems to me it has no pictures.

By the way, there is nothing cheap on that website, LOL.
                        Last edited by psiturbo; 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Let's stop talking about the power. I already said I'll be running Megasquirt, and I have headers with free exhaust. What's the purpose of nit-picking this when I already mentioned that it isn't that important to me? I really freaking hate bench racing and the bull**** associated with it. I'd like to think I'm fairly active in the KL-world and know a thing or two about them. For someone who admittedly has no experience with these engines and loudly professes a marked dislike for them....well, nevermind. I could care less what the dyno says in the end.

MazdaParsCheap has the roof mouldings @ $102 each....and fenders are a bargain @ $314...lol. I'll keep looking.

Comment

damn dan that intake looks mean
                            1st 323 - wrecked - RIP
                            2nd 323 - stolen - RIP
                            3rd 323 - daily driver

Comment

yea, lets get back on topic, we'll see the dyno charts or 1/4 time times later lol, geez.
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Got a bit of work done today. Torqued down the oil relocation plate, installed the oil cooler & the lines. On Monday I'll be making the cooling fan shroud out of aluminum sheet.

Comment

Working...
                                X