This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior painting progress

Well I've been taking the advice of the guys at the AMAZD forums. Light coats of paint, wet sanding withh 600grit or finer, and using primer on every piece! The primer makes a huge difference, and the sanding is a PITA. Anyways, I'm starting to see much better results and I'm looking forward to the finished product!

A week ago

Sanded down the red, sprayed primer because the paint was sticking to the bottom and started dripping & clotting.

Yesterday
    You can still see the scratches the 80 grit made, I'll have to keep filling those in, more paint, sand, & repeat.

The rear ashtray is my favorite piece, came out so perfectly I'm so happy

The primer shows through because we just did a major sanding basically back down to the plastic, primed it, and did one thin red coat so far.

Various pieces at various stages

The most intricate piece, but is taking the paint quite well even without primer.

I'll be working on the interior some more today too.
    Last edited by Crazy Drummer69; 06-12-2009, 01:01 PM.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Interior painting progress

I discovered how easily the climate control vents come apart. I took them apart, sanded them, and gave them a proper coat of primer/paint.

Comment

BPD head progress

Alright, the posts are all copied over, I'll put up BPD head pics tonight, almost done reassembling it but I hit another snag >.<

Comment

that interior is gonna look nice!

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

...wow ... all i can or will say

Comment

good job on taking one of the most respected rally/street car mazda made, and make it into a ricer car.........

this is a sad sad day.
              Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
                ...wow ... all i can or will say

As a fellow Mazda n00b, I will have to concur with above statement, but will add - step away from the spray paint, grab some rags, and clean up that engine bay.

However, I will have to keep an eye on this on the very thin chance it turns into a DSM 'tuner' thread.
                '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
                '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
                10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
                490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

Jesus, this guy found his way over here. I usually refrain from flaming, but c'mon man, you're ruining that car in a major way.
                  1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr GoD View Post
                    that interior is gonna look nice!
                    Was it the spray painted interior pieces or the plywood dashmound gauges? Possibly it's the resin soaked towels in the trunk that are catching your eye (or the fumes of them drying are getting to ya').

To each his own I suppose. But god, how I wish it was a DX right about now.
                    I peered out from the castle window and looked over the splendor of ROTM county. Yes, twas' a much simpler time back then. Peasants would go about their postings, and I, the mod, would rule over them with an iron fist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockington View Post
                      Was it the spray painted interior pieces or the plywood dashmound gauges? Possibly it's the resin soaked towels in the trunk that are catching your eye (or the fumes of them drying are getting to ya').

To each his own I suppose. But god, how I wish it was a DX right about now.

but i likes the red sockinton!!
                      Last edited by Kris; 06-13-2009, 10:10 AM.

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

wow...just...wow

The End on another GTR
                        Drew
                        '95 EGT 1.8
                        T
                        '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                        '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Was it the spray painted interior pieces
                          I won't argue this, most people hate me for doing this, but I find the stock look bland. Yes, I find the GTR trim bland, so I'm changing it. If **** doesn't work out than I have another 323 with which to swap interiors.

plywood dashmound gauges?
                          They are far from complete. They still need to be evened out, wrapped in vinyl, and fiberglassed to the dash to give it a uniform dash look. I think they look like **** right now, because they aren't finished. Sitting in the driver's seat, they are extremely practical, and the passenger can still see plenty out the window as well.

Possibly it's the resin soaked towels in the trunk
                          I guess you've never seen this either. It's the same as using fiberglass matt for a fraction of the cost. You won't even see the towels in the end. If you've even seen anybody make a sub enclosure than you would know this is the first step in a very long process. The only difference between this and the ones I build on a semi-daily basis at work is the material used. The strength is mostly in the resin. This thing just has to withstand blasts of air, not structurally support say a boat. It'll do the job fine, just like many others have done before me.

Yeah, engine bay could use a cleaning. However, it won't be detailed as I like to play in the dirt/mud/snow with this car.

Comment

Maybe it was the epically awesome NISSAN GT-R badge as well.
                            1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post
                              Maybe it was the epically awesome NISSAN GT-R badge as well.
                              It's already gone, all that's left is the Mazdaspeed badge. I got my hands on some actual grey GTR stickers for when I paint the car white.

Comment

Ill trade you cars, and you can rice the crap out of my car.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X