No announcement yet.

My new whip.. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey crazycanadian. I think I will build a BP powered Protege for STS...good suggestion. Unless you want me to build something else and join you in SMF? Nice to see you having fun in my old car...When do you want that spare KL?
    Last edited by Thomas; 07-03-2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas View Post
      Hey crazycanadian. I think I will build a BP powered Protege for STS...good suggestion. Unless you want me to build something else and join you in SMF? Nice to see you having fun in my old car...When do you want that spare KL?
      Think you could hold on to the KL untill after I move to my new place in 2 weeks.. If not anytime...

Finally got my 17's on the car.. stupid jap rims with odd ball valve stems took a while to order in...Also got the mx3 rear seat mounted.. I ended up using some mx3 rear seat belts as well.. I had to modify how they bolted in to fit over the rear strut tower.. relocated the rear tail pipe as well... I extended it out past the bumper.. This really reduced a lot of the droning noise inside the car...

Comment

Rims look good
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

For the Mx-3 rack info-
          The Mx-3 GS(v6) is the one with the 3.x turns to lock, both 323 racks, power and non, are a higher turn to lock. BPT323 did a write up on how to de-power the mx-3 rack and gives more specs on the racks themselves than I know off the top of my head.
          Last edited by Ace; 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM.
          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
          VF10 powered!
          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
            For the Mx-3 rack info-
            The Mx-3 GS(v6) is the one with the 3.x turns to lock, both 323 racks, power and non, are a higher turn to lock. BPT323 did a write up on how to de-power the mx-3 rack and gives more specs on the racks themselves than I know off the top of my head.
            Good info.. All though to add to it, I don't believe I have a V6 power steering rack in the car.. the one I put in looks like it might be a 4 cylinder one... When I was at the junk yard last week hunting down lines the ones that seemed to match up came off a 4 cylinder mx3.. the V6 lines were different.. The lines I am talking about aren't the ones from the pump and the return line.. I am talking about the 2 little lines that run along the rack and feed fluid to either side of the piston inside the rack...
            Last edited by crazycanadian; 07-07-2010, 01:04 AM.

Comment

yep longest lock to lock is the manual steering racks, then the p/s racks in the 4cyls (protege, 323) and the shortest is the mx3 v6 p/s rack.
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                yep longest lock to lock is the manual steering racks, then the p/s racks in the 4cyls (protege, 323) and the shortest is the mx3 v6 p/s rack.
                If the MX3 V6 rack is the shortest at 3.x lock to lock then its not shorter then a 4 cylinder mx3 rack...

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. the MX-3 GS V6 rack is 2.75 turns to lock.

heres the thread http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29778
                  Originally posted by bpt323
                  As the title says... this shows how to convert a power steering MX3 v6 rack with ~2.75 lock to lock turns into a pure manual rack.

Tools Needed:
                  12mm wrench or socket
                  line wrench
                  adjustable wrenches 1 huge 1 medium
                  snap ring pliers
                  14mm socket- 1/2" drive
                  15mm socket-1/2" drive
                  1/2" extension
                  1/2" drive ratchet
                  hammer
                  bench grinder/ angle grinder/ hacksaw
                  -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                  VF10 powered!
                  262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                  13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Hey man, I have the exact same seat in my Pro, the only complaint is that after hours of driving I feel the the lumbar support isn't as good as it should be for me. I'm 6'2 and my head bashed into the sunroof on the original seats, so the MX-3's were a must. I'm thinking of maybe opening them up and seeing what I can do to fix the problem.

Anyone ever done that?

Comment

Hey Adam. That rack is out of a 94 4cylinder car. Good call...

Comment

Hey Adam. That rack is out of a 94 4cylinder car. Good call...
                        Thanks tom.. what happened to the V6 rack out of your V6 car??

Comment

I left it in the car for my brother in law. He's building a Turbo'd BP for that car...

Comment

I left it in the car for my brother in law. He's building a Turbo'd BP for that car...
                            Booo you shoulda left him with the 4 cylinder rack for his whimpy 4 cylinder he's building... lol...

Comment

I now have power steering.. yaa! the car feels sooo much better to drive now.. its not such a fight to get it to go where you want it to... For anyone who's playing around with swapping racks.. the 4 cylinder and V6 racks have a different flair design for the low pressure lines and they don't interchange.. I had grabbed a set of V6 lines, but I have a 4 cylinder rack in the car and low pressure line didn't work.. I had to make my own low pressure line in the end..

Comment

Took the car out to the track tonight... Wasn't what I was hopping for but then again I have lot of room for improvement..

First run of the night.. I still had my 17's pumped up to 42psi... bad wheel spin off the line..

R/T.... 0.442
                                60'..... 2.398
                                330'... 4.819
                                1/8.....10.192
                                MPH....69.76
                                1/4.... 15.887
                                MPH....85.72

Second and last run of the night for me... I dropped my tire pressure down to about 20psi.. Still couldn't launch worth a bag of crap..

R/T.... 0.577
                                60'..... 2.307
                                330'....6.099
                                1/8.....10.034
                                MPH....69.53
                                1000'...13.091
                                1/4......15.690
                                MPH.....85.47

Next time out I plan to take my other set of rims and tires... Even though they are old the Toyo RA1's on the 14's rims will perform better then the federalls I have on my 17's...

Comment

Working...
                                X