X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear oil is the worst smell ever

NW MAZDAS

Comment

So then smell it it is, thanks guys. I cleaned the tranny up with scraper and rag and left a tray under where the drip came from. Hopefully without all the mud and gunk caked on I'll be able to follow the trail of wetness and learn something from that.

Comment

Opened up the drum brakes, removed the e-brake mechanism locked it into the vice sprayed it with rust check and wiggled until it finally moved freely again then packed it with brake grease. So thats one more thing checked off the list.

Comment

you can dissasemble it & lightly grind down the pin, so that will never happen again. but it requires a new press washer.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Good to hear you're working your list down. The list just keeps growing and growing on my project car, haven't ticked a single item off completely yet

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            you can dissasemble it & lightly grind down the pin, so that will never happen again. but it requires a new press washer.
            Little hints and tips like this are what makes forums so valuable.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

i'll post pictures here when i get home.
              Of exactly what i did to my grey 323. i got sick of the stickey Ebrake really quickly. reliable to the end now. could abuse the E-brake through any winters
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Hopefully what I did works as well. I took a wire wheel to all of the areas around the pin then used a thin feeler gauge to literally pushed the grease in between the two pieces all around the pin.

Comment

Ghetto rigged SRI installed, stole the filter of the 3rd gens AEM until I get a chance to order one specifically for it. Also couldn't find any scrap metal to fab up a support for it so its just sitting there for now. I know I had metal somewhere but I forget where i put it when I cleaned the garage.

It seems like the exhaust note s a little deeper now but beyond that I doubt it did anything. Maybe I'll get a few extra mpgs for back to school.

Comment

do yourself a favor. bump the timing up on that thing!! grab a timing light & move the timing up about 4°

Comment

Hmm, my dad does have a timing light and we have done timing on older domestics before, or I should say I've held the light and read numbers or other menial tasks while he adjusts so that should be easy enough. What sort of difference does it make?

Also a leak down test is in the very near future as were sort of suspecting that worn rings may have pressurized the crank case and caused the sudden rear main seal failure. If the rings are good a new clutch and seal will be going in, if they're the problem I'm not sure which direction I'll go.
                      Last edited by Scorch3; 09-07-2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

pepps the car up a bit. a b6 in a 323 with some timing is comparable to a stock BP.
                        and a B8(sohc BP) with timing should help in the same aspect. the ECU's are under rated on the timing comparatively with today's fuel/tuning you can do with the vaf.

Comment

Alright good to know, doing that for sure next time its in the garage.

Comment

Would I have to run a higher grade fuel with the timing advanced? Also I've noticed some people talking about how ****ty the S code VAF is which I have and was wondering what the difference is exactly, just want to know if I should be keeping and eye out for an upgrade.

Comment

the U code VAF (dohc) is an upgrade!!! the car will probably run better with that alone.
                              what fuel grade do you currently run?
                              i found my old SOHC motor ran best on 89octane/93 octane. even in an unmodified state.--- it can be said that higher octane fuels are typically better quality as well.

Comment

I normally run 87.

Comment

Working...
                                X