The 'scort with no name.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
    have the exhaust short-side radius smoothed out into a transition. it makes a huge improvement
    Any other recommendations? 'simple' ones that work with oe sized internals preferred
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

After ordering the seat mount 2 months ago, it finally arrived today. Damn... Crazy..
      Details:

Product: 1992 Mazda MX3 Sparco Seat Base Left Side
      Vendor: Summit Racing
      Summit Racing Part #: SRO-600SB131L
      Sparco Part Number: 600SB131L
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SRO-600SB131L

Sparco Seat Base for a '92 MX3 Drivers Side. Everything lines up to factory EGT mounts perfectly, and it even has a tab for the lap belt buckle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2816.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	1239372

Here is the $25 used seat from some drift corolla from craigslist. I just needed a solid bucket seat with good side bolstering for track day/rallyx. Not SFI certified and I can't even find what model it is. It's pretty darn old.

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	1239373

Testing fitment as I plan on having it in a fixed location. I like the actual seating position, however, I have to raise my left knee quite a bit to engage the clutch. It's not a smooth transition with the wheel placement. I have the wheel dropped almost 2 additional inches past stock with the use of washers and longer bolts.

Name:	IMG_2828.jpg
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	1239375

I raised the wheel back to to it's tallest position and it feels almost ok, just sitting there.

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	1239374

I do plan on going a smaller steering wheel soon, so this may very well alleviate my issues.

I am pleased with seating position however from the wheel and pedal pedals. Excited to really try the seat out eventually.

I don't plan on keeping the seat in there all the time. Likely just swap it out when I go play. I picked up an extra drivers seat rail from a 92 mx3, so I can just borrow that lap belt buckle.

Name:	IMG_2830.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	1239376

I do also have a 5 point harness lying around from the rally car, so it will get some use here.
      Last edited by worldhazard; 03-04-2015, 11:22 PM.
      1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
      "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

somender grooves & shave the head for compression sake. BP's like 9.5:1 +
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

i didn't even know they made a seat rail bracket!!! thats a nice piece!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

The base was VERY hard to track down actually. hence why it also took 2 months to arrive.

Had to research and narrow down the right one on Summit, and then we had to talk directly to Sparco to confirm it exists as every source said it's discontinued. I could absolutely fab my own mount, but the effort that is involved in doing such a task is freaking ridiculous. Moving the seat WAY too many time in and out and blah blah blah... a prefabbed piece>custom anyday. especially from Sparco for sure.

Updated above post with product details
            Last edited by worldhazard; 03-04-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Dropped the motor off at the machinist today. Should hear back soon what the outcome should be. Fingers crossed it's not going to break the bank too bad.

Comment

subbin for the end result!!

Comment

Baby steps..
                  90 Duro Motor Mounts Complete, from AWR.
                  And BP, Head, Rebuild Kit, and more in the back of the rental car.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	1240791Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	1240792

Comment

keep us updated with the assembly pics please!

Comment

Well. incase anyone would be at all curious, I've tallied up the total, and as the car sits right now, (dead) it's got $1,700 in it. Which includes price of car. So in total $1k. There's a few things not counted in the total, as they're not installed though. The $1,700 is just as it sits

Comment

thats not bad at all!!!

Comment

I wish that's all I had in my car. I have spent that much taking it to the next level in the last 3 months though. 8 (

Comment

Very nice. Subbn.
                            Could you talk about the head and rebuild kit a little more.
                            1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                            1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                            2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                            1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

The Drama Continues.....

Got in touch with the machinist today. They've had the block/head for almost 3 weeks now. 'I moved it today to make room for other stuff' is what he said. That's as far as he's touched it. He said he'll TRY and get to it next week so we know where we stand.

I'm moving at the end of the month. Quitting my job here in 2 weeks. Taking the week prior to moving off so I can get rally stuff taken care of, and then I was planning on moving the last week of the month. This puts my time frame to, just about out of time.

I'm really displeased with it.He even said 'if you have another shop that can get to it quicker....'... Well, I called around, one guy said he can do the machine work, but not assembly, and turnaround is a within a week. Another shop is SUPER busy now too, they're about 3 weeks out.

I'm looking for a fair condition BP right now, to see about just dropping something in to get the car moving under it's own power. I don't really want to move and NOT have a car to go around and find a job with.. Luckily we aren't too far from businesses though, so the MTB might still cut it.

Considering just buying the re-built head as well, but as I just looked through the notes, '#2 is done..'.. well, I can't just drop a new head on now can I and call it good. EF.

All I need is a reliable daily right now. Don't need a rally car.. And this thing is just not working with me.

Comment

What's the name of the machine shop?
                                1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                                1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                                2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                                1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Working...
                                X