No announcement yet.

Knife-Edge or Crank Scraper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would avoid knife edging a crank that you're using for a daily driver. They make cranks the size, shape, and mass for a damn good reason.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by bmikedaman
      Unless you're trying to win some sort of competition, I'd buy the crank scrapper assuming its not rediculously expensive. Knife edging is REALLY high end and has VERY little benefit to anything but all out race engines. It's pretty much the LAST thing I'd do if I absolutely positively had to make the motor all out. Even the crank scrapper is pretty dubious on our motors, but if its not ungodly expensive you could try it out. Out of curiousity what all is done/being done to the motor in question?
      There are too many things to list off... I'll list off the main stuff and you can read and see the rest of it here
      • Carrillo Pro-A rods
      • FM Wiseco 9:1 Pistons
      • SPEC lightened flywheel
      • SPEC Stage 2+ clutch
      • UR underdrive pulley

Thats just the stuff for the bottom end.

Thanks everyone else for your input... I think I'm just gonna go with a light knife-edge on the leading edge of the crank so that it will be more areodynamic, and a crank scraper.

If anyone was wondering they're going for $49 for the metal ones, and $99 for the teflon ones. What's another $99 to my big long expensive drawn out project.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
      Member of MX-3.com
      1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
      1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Make sure you get it balanced afterward if you knife edge it.

93' 5spd DX
        R.I.P

Comment

Don't worry it's was gonna get done either way, especially when you throw a lightened flywheel, pulley, rods and pistons on...

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

I was under the impression that the MBSP kept the oil from hitting the crank so that the oil cloud wouldn't form...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
            Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Can you send me money so I can do something useful with it instead?
              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
              -93 MR2, 129 ES
              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by Shades
                Thanks everyone else for your input... I think I'm just gonna go with a light knife-edge on the leading edge of the crank so that it will be more areodynamic, and a crank scraper.[/FONT] [/COLOR]
                FWIW, I've read of suggestions to bull-nose the leading edge/knife-edge the trailing.
                Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Originally posted by BuGS
                  I was under the impression that the MBSP kept the oil from hitting the crank so that the oil cloud wouldn't form...
                  The oil cloud is gonna form from the oil squirters in the bores... the MBSP keeps the oil from splashing in the pan, so that the oil pump pick up doesn't suck up air (air is bad for bearings).

I've decided to bullnose the leading edge myself and just polish the counter weights on the crank. Our cranks are cast with a slight bullnose on them... so all I have to do it make it more round. The machine shops around here appear to do a pretty crappy job of knife-edging as I visited a couple on the weekend and had a look at their work. So this shouldn't take much weight from the crank at all. Since I've already got a lightened flywheel, pulley, rods, and pistons... unless I'm circuit racing, I don't need the crank lightened... yet! :D

I'll post some pictures once I've finished polishing the crank.
                  Last edited by Shades; 03-28-2006, 01:25 AM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

reworded for those who didnt understnade

i would use both crank scraper and mbsp
                    Last edited by jacobrussell; 11-15-2008, 11:18 PM.
                    eat me

Comment

how much do these cost
                      eat me

Comment

After a "little" research, Idk if i like the way it bolts using the main cap bolts
                        Last edited by jacobrussell; 11-15-2008, 11:20 PM.
                        eat me

Comment

You still drunk from last night?... you're talking to yourself and you make no sense.

You also know you can edit your own post, within a 24 hour period, so that you don't have to look like you're talking to yourself with three posts.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

considering the amount of threads and ancient bumps I think hes trying to bring up the ol' post count
                            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

What does bringing the post count do for your profile?... makes you look like someone other than a noob?

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

i take post count into consideration when buy stuffs, and he does sell MS units

just a theory really
                                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
                                X