No announcement yet.

Insane Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're so rich, just get a gold-plated delorean.... then keep that for a while and wait for its value to go up, because it will.
    ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by bbthum
      Yes, but I have the whole car...so it would be easy to use the existing parts as jigs to build the neccesary items. plus i didn't have to pay for engine, trans (which i might not keep) or any of the neccesary odds and ends that come with a big swap like this. Plus the engine is not that heavy...I am looking now for that spec...
      ok man doing the extreme is cool and all but....

if you have the whole car, nothing will fit. NOTHING!!! not only is the engine too wide, and there is no tranny that will even fit into a Protege with that engine. to make that work you will have to get yourself a jaws fo life can cut both cars in 2. and then weld t prefered 1/2s together, then have someone custom fabricate a protege body.

Gice it up you are dreaming. the parts you need not only will have to fabricate, but the parts you do hav will be useless.

Custom mounts,
      Custom axles,
      Custom crossmember,
      Custom wiring,
      Possibly custome rad,
      Upgraded suspension

you will need to have the car balanced,
      you will loose your: power steering, AC, CC

Look you could do a swap like this. but just like driving with your feet. You could do it , but that doesn't make it a good ****ing idea.

look if you really want something extreme. look into a midmount RWD protege with that engine. The costs to do either is soo big you might as will do the one that is soo much more custom, and extreme.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

i agree just think of a MR protege with 220+ hp damn!
        i is dumb

Comment

Ok, I get it...I have done the math myself, as I stated earlier...sheesh stop beatin' on me, I still think it would have been cool, had it been at all feasible...
          Just tryinng to make a roachclip racer!
          Go Fast Drive Well Die Old!

Comment

Hey...I bet I could gut this Chevy Sprint I have layin' around and midmount that one....Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Comment

Originally posted by bbthum
              Ok, I get it...I have done the math myself, as I stated earlier...sheesh stop beatin' on me, I still think it would have been cool, had it been at all feasible...
              We like to beat the dead horse around here to make us seem smarter than we really are

Yea, it would have been a killer idea. Pick up a cheap festiva if you're looking for something to swap it into Suprisingly no one has metioned it before.

Isn't the easiest swap, but easier than a FWD protege swap! It's been done more than a few times, too
              Dan
              dreesemonkey

Comment

Well I had alreay been planning to sub-frame the Spint and put a rear/mid engine in it...I was going to use a Northstar engine, but the SHO motor might be the ticket, I hadn't thought of that till Protoss recomended a mid Prote...lol

Comment

Dude, totally do a MIdmount if you have the money.

think about it all custom, but DUDE!

you'd have to move the gas tank, and if you were smart you could use the FWD tranny to power the rear wheels.

Then using some smarts in geometry you could find a way to have a shifter linkage built.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Yup...exactly right...I was planning on replacing all the suspension components and making the front a trunk/Fuel tank, like a beetle kinda, and subframing the whole car. I havent worked it all out on paper yet, but when I am finished I am taking it on the Hot Rod Power Tour just to get some magazine time...lol

Comment

While you're at it, just cut out the back seat and turn the Pro into a rear-engine monster. Borrow some parts from a Beetle or a Fiero... muahahaha
                      ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

why, got custom tube steel. if you buy the raw materials, you can do it cheaper, and you have more freedom. also if do your own desin, get professional engineer, or a certifed personel to look over your desgin.

but if you do thin please PM me. i am totally interesting in a project like this.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

my KLZE mx3 actually handles nice as ****. It does understeer a LOT more than the protege, but i wouldn't say it is unbalanced. In a Protege, I'd expect it to handle nearly identical to an MX3.

I always thought the protege was too damn tail happy, the MX3 isn't like this at all, and I'm glad, i've yet to spin it out in the rain or snow, even when I was messing around.

As for shoving the SHO into a festiva...its so worthless of a swap to even attempt. Get the December issue of Grassroots Motorsports and read the article. The thing runs mid 14's! what a waste! IMO if you want a V6, get a KLZE...it at least fits your engine bay and is easily available. Parts are abundant and it really isn't that hard of a swap if you get a MX3 parts car to rip stuff out of.
                          93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                          02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                          05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

not putting it in a festiva...I wanna put it in the rear of a Sprint now...but seriously...its a great engine here...the Yamaha 3.2, not the little 3 liter in the newer ones...I would like to see that festiva though, just out of curiousity...

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
                              KL engine is as light as the BP because it's an aluminum block, I've actually heard it was 20lbs lighter.

The KL-ZE is a 2.5l and makes the same power than the yamaha built-sho engine. The SHO makes about 190 right?

Would it be fast to put the SHO engine in the protege? Yes. Would it be feasible? No.

Sell the parts from the car and get the KL-ZE. A few members have done the swap for pretty cheap.
                              The First get SHO engines put out a stock 220hp and a little over 200ft/lb torque I believe... My guess is it has over 100k's so it probably lost some of that hp... But driving that car was fun as hell in that big ass car... especially if you had a manual... but it would be a lot heavier in your pro, and even if it did fit... my guess is it would be a bitch to do... Would the Pro's suspension even support that heavy of an engine?
                              1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                              1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                              2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                              2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack

Yea, it would have been a killer idea. Pick up a cheap festiva if you're looking for something to swap it into Suprisingly no one has metioned it before.
                                Sorry about the previous post... I didnt know somebody cleared up the 220 HP issue.... but about the festiva though...

This was already done a long time ago... I dont know if you know this already.. and if you do then pardon this post... but 7 of them actually went into production. The cars were called SHOguns: there was 1 prototype, and six actual production. Apparently the cars ran the 1/4 in like 12 seconds, and pulled a 1g+ on the pad... The customers were required to buy the SHO engine for the production to take place... and it was (obviously) all custom...

It was featured in the 1991 February Issue of Road and Track Magazine, really good article... Something in Turbo Magazine too.. but I cannot find a good God Damn Link... Here is what I found though...

Motor Trend

Jay's SHOgun

The Engine was moved to the back but it was considered a mid engine because it was a little in front of the rear wheels... The back seat obviously needed to be removed and a huge heat shield was placed behind the driver/passenger seats... I used to do a lil research on them like 3 years back... Jay Leno owns the #003 SHOgun and its packed with nitrous... 325 hps or something in a car weighing a few over a ton.

Aside from production, I guess some people have actually tried it themselves and were succesful...

Successful trial:http://www.fordfestiva.com/multimedi...iva_shogun.htm

PERFORMANCE
                                0-60 in 4.8 sec
                                ¼ mile in 12.9 sec at 101mph
                                1.04 g cornering (even today only bettered by the Ferrari F-40)
                                “The Ultimate Pocket Rocket” R&T
                                “One loose cannon” C&D
                                “it’s 1:05 lap time at Willow Springs is a decent 427 Cobra time”

HISTORY on The SHOgun#005
                                This is the last of 7 built between 90’-92’. The car was apparently ordered (and the number 005 reserved) prior to the fabrication of the no. 6 & 7 cars.
                                Conceived & built by Chuck Beck (chassis fabricator for the Shelby GT-350 and Ford’s GT-40 racing programs) and Rick Titus (SCCA endurance champion). Styling input from Peter Brock (Shelby Datona Coupe designer).
                                All were built to customer order to avoid DOT certification although they are CA emissions legal.
                                Selling price $48,500 (no doubt a primary reason for so few being ordered).
                                All SHOGUN’s were painted a different color. This, the “purple” one, was accented with custom purple door panels and purpleheart wood trim.
                                This SHOGUN was built specifically for SCCA racing so several features of 005 are unique to the other cars : all others used a 2 point roll bar, standard Festiva steering, leather seats, and different interior door panels, seat belts, interior trim, and body decals. The original owner provided the motor modified with a lightened flywheel and under-drive pulleys. This car is in as-delivered condition except for tires.

I hate when I just saw something the other day on the net... and then when I want to show you guys... I forget where the **** is... meh... I'll find it someday

Oh yeah... for those of you that dont know... S.H.O. stands for Super High Output... my friends used to laugh at me when I told them that about my 92... Until I whooped em on the street and let them see what was under my hood. Mine was stock... but with mods from places like SHOshop... and minor things from the CC CincySHO... these things can be bad ass... Too bad they are still fix or repair daily's... and I'm being serious... My SHO was in the shop at least once a month for something (not including maintenance)
                                Last edited by XxToKeSxX; 12-14-2003, 04:58 PM.
                                1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                                1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                                2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                                2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Working...
                                X