miata pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by websurfer970
    Anyone know if those "tornado" things do anything? pos. or neg? hell it looks like a scam to me
    those things u put in ur intake to increase mpg and stuff? i heard those are a scam?

Comment

yea those things, the ones they try to get $60 a pop for
      94' Mazda Protege'... trying to return it to former glory.

aim: zep867

Comment

if what i heard is correct, its a waste of money

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
          Once again, with as mild as the cams are on a regular BP, getting 10whp more is "weak". You should be looking for gains of 15-20 whp throughout the majority of the powerband. Of course, tuning is what it all comes down to. A decent intake and exhaust would combine with the cams well.

FWIW, the B6 cams are hotter than the BP cams.
          so you say the B6 cam is hotter? one of my friend is going to buy a b6t so i can use the b6 cam from a 94 mx3 in the BP?
          2012 Kia rio
          2009 Nissan Frontier
          1997 chaparral 180LE

Comment

will they fit? that would be an easy swap

Comment

Originally posted by scortadict
              so you say the B6 cam is hotter? one of my friend is going to buy a b6t so i can use the b6 cam from a 94 mx3 in the BP?
              The B6 cam is not hotter, don't waste your time. Check out solomiata's web page and you'll see that they have less lift than our BP cams and the duration is slightly less.
              92 323 with BP DOHC
              ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Let's put it this way....

10 years ago, Rod Millen built 2 fully streetable, street legal 200 whp NA BPs that didn't have much more than nice big cams, some mild headwork, more compression, good intake and exhaust systems, and a boatload of tuning...

you can be happy with 140 whp if you want....i'd rather not be.
                200whp I find that hard to beleive, maybe it's 200hp at the crank which is about 170whp. For the BP engine to produce more than 170whp it has to produce it passed 8000rpms, and for this to happen it greatly doubt it's going to even idle at 1400rpms.

Streetable, I doubt it. To me a streetable car is an engine that can idle below 1000rpms and won't stall due to idle issues.
                92 323 with BP DOHC
                ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

this could get interesting..
                  00 dakota 4x4
                  90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Originally posted by mike323
                    The B6 cam is not hotter, don't waste your time. Check out solomiata's web page and you'll see that they have less lift than our BP cams and the duration is slightly less.
                    Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Email Randy...he's a cool guy, I've talked to him.

It also doesn't fit into any BP head to it being from the B6.

The B6 cams ARE hotter...and if you'd look at Spec Miata or any other production race motors that have to use the stock cams, you'd see that. The B6's routinely get the same peak power as the BP motors, except that there isn't nearly as much midrange. The ONLY way to do that is with hotter cams.

The B6 exhaust cam has 18 degrees more duration than the BP cam...
                    The intake cam is also hotter. Look at Randy's site. It's right there. The intake cam on the Protege BP's is even less wild than the already pathetic oem exhaust cam.

I'm sorry you cannot read....nor have you been around the Protege/BP world for much more than a few months, but please just don't go busting out with whatever pops into your head.
                    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                    -93 MR2, 129 ES
                    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

200whp I find that hard to beleive, maybe it's 200hp at the crank which is about 170whp. For the BP engine to produce more than 170whp it has to produce it passed 8000rpms, and for this to happen it greatly doubt it's going to even idle at 1400rpms.

Streetable, I doubt it. To me a streetable car is an engine that can idle below 1000rpms and won't stall due to idle issues.
                      Go back 3 years, and read Vaughn's posts on the original Protegetech yahoogroup about Fred's motor. It's not my job to prove everything you say wrong. I emailed him back in 2000 about it...when I read the old posts, from 98 and 99...

Fred's car ended it's days as a winter beater because he built another rally car.

Or, how about going onto miata.net and reading about people who've actually done close to 200 whp? There's a thought...
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

jesse, be nice...not his fault hes a n00b :p

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                          I cant stand when companies claim 20 extra hp, when it gives like 2.
                          I saw a dual radiator fan swap for a chevy silerado at an Auto Zone, and it claimed to add 30 hp.

swapping in 2 fans making 30 hp, I just started laughing at the thought.
                          You sure they didn't say "UP TO " 30 hp??
                          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

http://members.aol.com/solomiata/cams.html

The B6 cams ARE hotter...and if you'd look at Spec Miata or any other production race motors that have to use the stock cams, you'd see that. The B6's routinely get the same peak power as the BP motors, except that there isn't nearly as much midrange. The ONLY way to do that is with hotter cams.

The B6 exhaust cam has 18 degrees more duration than the BP cam...
                            The intake cam is also hotter. Look at Randy's site. It's right there. The intake cam on the Protege BP's is even less wild than the already pathetic oem exhaust cam.

I'm sorry you cannot read....nor have you been around the Protege/BP world for much more than a few months, but please just don't go busting out with whatever pops into your head.
                            OK, the intake cam closes 3 degrees later, hence bringing peak hp about 200-250rpms furter.

Where do you get 18 degrees difference, can't you tell there's a mistake, The B6 exhaust cam has (180+53+18 = 248 duration) and the BP exhaust cam has (180+56+14 = 250 duration). Also Mazda calculates advertised duration at 0.004" and not 0.003", not that it makes any difference.

Also engine with shorter stroke to bore ratio tend to produce hp at higher rpms hence the B6 creating better high end results over the BP engine.
                            92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Or, how about going onto miata.net and reading about people who've actually done close to 200 whp? There's a thought...
                              200whp with a supercharged or turbo BP engine, not in natural aspirated formed, unless, it was stroked to a 2L, with a 13:1 compression, individual TB runners and idled at 1500rpms, which is not streetable in anyone's dictionary.

Did we forget to state that almost $8-10K was invested in this engine.
                              92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

200whp with a supercharged or turbo BP engine, not in natural aspirated formed, unless, it was stroked to a 2L, with a 13:1 compression, individual TB runners and idled at 1500rpms, which is not streetable in anyone's dictionary.

Did we forget to state that almost $8-10K was invested in this engine.
                                Since you brought up those numbers, and they are reasonably close to the old JTCC touring car motor specs....

THOSE NA BP motors made over 300 crank hp...

200 whp isn't THAT lofty a goal for a streetable 1.8L motor... and definately without ITBs, which don't even flow as well as a well engineered manifold will...Let's look at

Can we please cut the BS and use facts? or maybe science even?
                                -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X