Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced the alternator on the Protege tonight. Man, what a bitch that was. 2.5 hours to remove, .25 hours to install the new one. lol
    Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

2.5 hours to remove???
      sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
      92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

With all the crap a stock Protege LX engine bay has in it, and having never changed an alternator before, it was tough. I finally moved some stuff and squeezed it out.
        Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

did you grease the slide in the alternator base?(the part that squeezes against the block) & the bolts???
          if not you might think twice about doing that
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I think I usually just jack the car up and do it from underneath on stock BPs, **** takes like fifteen minutes.

GTR manifold makes things way easier.
            sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
            92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Something started howling at me on the drive to work this morning. Pretty sure it's the front diff.
              1990 Protege 4WD
              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Pulled the GTR ecu out. its up for sale in the FS section.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                  did you grease the slide in the alternator base?(the part that squeezes against the block) & the bolts???
                  if not you might think twice about doing that
                  I didn't. You mean the long bolt on the bottom? Why? To stop them seizing up or something?
                  Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

Finished the installation of the alt., grabbed the battery out of the Eldo, went in for emissions, and passed!!

I live for another two years...

And greasing the lower mount on the alt. is a great idea.
                    1990 Mazda Protege LX, owned since new

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGreenBG View Post
                      I didn't. You mean the long bolt on the bottom? Why? To stop them seizing up or something?
                      yes it helps it to keep from seizing. steel+AL=self weld too so always always grease bolts that go into aluminum.

I couldn't get the bolt out of the alt for my P5 regardless of how i tried....

Comment

yes it helps it to keep from seizing. steel+AL=self weld too so always always grease bolts that go into aluminum.

I couldn't get the bolt out of the alt for my P5 regardless of how i tried....
                        Good info, I'll give it all a good greasing this weekend. Thanks!
                        Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGreenBG View Post
                          Pictures really do it a lot of justice.

It's been hit at both ends, the rear incident by a tow truck at about 30mph while I owned it, and the front, which left the nose skewed and was never repaired properly by the previous owner. There wasn't a straight panel on it and the spare wheel well was Swiss cheese. The doors leaked water like screen doors and the windscreen trims were replaced with some rubber stripping which was caulked in by the previous owner. The engine smoked and burned a quart of oil every thousand miles, and so on. It was far from a nice car. My Protege is a far better car that has never been wrecked and has a well-documented service record.

I loved it, and feel bad for junking a BG 323 tub, but it was never going to be what I wanted it to be, let alone a decent car in general. It was a paperweight taking up space in my garage and I had to make the call.
                          Why didn't you post up a part out. I woulda asked for parts from it.

eh i guess its too late now

Comment

Why didn't you post up a part out. I woulda asked for parts from it.

eh i guess its too late now
                            There wasn't much left on the car, and what was left wasn't worth saving and/or would have left it a non-roller. Interior plastic was all broken/missing and there wasn't a straight body panel on it. The only good major bits would have been the suspension arms and gearbox, probably. Maybe a few engine bay parts, but that's it. I literally robbed every good thing from that car for my Protege.

Plus, I called the first "Junk Cars" number on Craigslist, expecting to just get a quote, but the guy happened to be around the corner from my house and offered me $400 cash on the spot. I couldn't say no.
                            Last edited by ThatGreenBG; 08-14-2014, 07:46 PM.
                            Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

the rear lights looked* in good shape

Comment

the rear lights looked* in good shape
                                They leaked water like '04 RX-8 tails, but yeah they were in good shape. lol

I had planned to pull some bits and pieces off, but like I said above, the junk guy was around the corner with 400 effortless dollars.
                                Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                                X