• Show
Clear All

i paid $172 shipped to my door.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
      i paid $172 shipped to my door.
      Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Well, I think Darryl got them a few years back when they were even cheaper! I think they raised the price about a year ago, but it's still a great deal that more people should look into.
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

has onyone used them with stock springs?
          Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
            Well, I think Darryl got them a few years back when they were even cheaper! I think they raised the price about a year ago, but it's still a great deal that more people should look into.
            Well according to my notes on my website, i got them 6/24/01. So ya, a few years back $160 + $12 shipping

Comment

well they were 150 + shipping, the bearings were 18.50 each tho
              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                has onyone used them with stock springs?
                Not that I know of. One thing that you should keep in mind is that your springs might already be damaged. My back oem springs had a coil broken off from each one. If that happens to you, be read to dish out some $$ for new springs. I still recommend you wait and install the struts with springs. That's of course, if you were thinking about getting springs in the first place.
                '91 LX
                '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
                well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

yeh, but like i said, i need some struts badly. mabye ill start working alot of overtime and get some springs before i put on the struts.
                  Serenity's Dead.

Comment

I've had them on by pro for over a year now and I like them. I have the S/R's with the Eibach springs, urethane bushings, 1" rear sway bar, Front and rear Strut bars, and rear lower tie bar. Definatly stiffer than the stock pro lx ride but not so much that it makes my teeth rattle.

Remember these ARE struts that for a stock car, the zx2 S/R, is albeit a "sport tuned" if you will version. But still stock. So I think ford was going for something in between stock mush and rock solid.

just my 2 cents cause I can't sleep.

Oh yeah, your rim tire combo has alot to do with your ride too. I went from stock 14" alloys with basic tires to 16" miata rims with good quality tires and the drive became smoother and more predictable and it has a more "stick to the road" quality.
                    David Page aka cablemirc is a sorry a$$ motherfunkin thief
                    He owes me $800.00 for leather seats he never delivered.
                    He doesn't even have enough honor to stay in touch.
                    If anyone knows how to contact him please let me know. clubprotege [at] evanjhoush [dot] com

Comment

Also keep in mind that the standard HD Tokicos are valved with the standard Japanese "sport" settings. They have lots of compression damping, especially hi-speed, with next to no rebound damping. The ZX2s have more reasonable compression damping (which would be less, since they are made for stiffer than stock springs), but much more rebound damping.

What this means is that the Tokicos will "feel" stiffer, reacting harshly to the smallest bumps, but they have little control of rebound (just take a dip fast, or try autocrossing on them). The ZX2s feel soft on that type of bump, but offer much greater control in sporty driving, and over large things like dips.

One of the Penske shock gurus has said (at least for autocross), if you have enough spring rate, you need almost no compression damping, but you'll need plenty of rebound damping to control those springs. He was running 1600lbs springs on the front of his C4 Corvette (although I don't know what the wheel rate was).
                      David Avard
                      '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                      '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                      '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

so are the zx-2's ment for the average everyday zx-2 i see driving around?
                        Serenity's Dead.

Comment

They were developed for the ZX2 S/R, which used Eibach springs from the factory. They were also intended for Showroom Stock racing, so they are intended to improve the performance dramatically.
                          David Avard
                          '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                          '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                          '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

i bought mine for 172 too! bling bling!

My bearings were like 32 shipped too, me and darryl rule
                            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Originally posted by Gro Harlem
                              i bought mine for 172 too! bling bling!

My bearings were like 32 shipped too, me and darryl rule
                              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Davard
                                What this means is that the Tokicos will "feel" stiffer, reacting harshly to the smallest bumps, but they have little control of rebound (just take a dip fast, or try autocrossing on them). The ZX2s feel soft on that type of bump, but offer much greater control in sporty driving, and over large things like dips.
                                Indeed, after driving multiple cars with good shocks, the Tokicos I had on the Protege were indeed awful for autocross. I really wish I could go back and get something better...
                                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                                X