2nd gen GTR swap on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheMAN
    if you see a silver pro with a sport20 badge, you know it's me... only one around

don't go for the crazy clutches... you'll kill the tranny sooner... if you plan on getting a flywheel meant for the GT-R or use the stock GT-R flywheel, get a street clutch kit meant for the GT-R.. the GT-R uses a 230mm clutch... largest of all the proteges

I seriously doubt you want to get that autozone ****... contact me and I will help you get parts CHEAP
    you sure he can use that GTR flywheel. When I looked at Adams BP flywheel and his GTR flywheel they both looked very different..

have fun getting that motor out that damn clip.. hehe remeber that Adam
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

GT-R flywheel cannot be used with the 2WD transmission. You are best off with a Protege LX (1G) flywheel and using an ACT Z62-HDR6 clutch package. It's still a bit harsh but will hold over 300lb-ft of torque.
      -Braden
      '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

whats up guys. sorry i haven't posted sooner.

i would def, recommend getting the G series tranny. I have the F no problems there. been running 17 lbs boost. holding up great. As for the clutch, I have the ACT street. Works great. I wouln't recommend Centerforce. it held up for 3 monthes then died. the flywheel, basically i just had CS lighten mine a couple pounds. no need to get a ultra light 9 lb flywheel less your dragging or somthing. if its a daily driver (as is mine) just cutting off a few punds will be fine.

You will have to get a LSD. there is wheel hop like no tommorow. the mazdaspeed one will work with the G series tranny unfortunately not the F. From what Ben at CS says it that its pretty good, but every once and a while will hop. If you can afford it get the Quaife. You have to upgrade your struts. My car squats when i romp on it.

I went with the Haltech to run everything. Its awesome. anything i plan to do in the future it can handle, (ie: bigger turbo, twin turbo, add injectors, NOS, etc) anything it will do. its $$$ initially but will save you in the end.

you have a 95 right? is that OBD2? if so, you won't pass smog. they no longer do the tail pipe sniff on OBD2 but hook up something to your sensor. if anythings off then yours screwed.

i've put alot of time any energy into this swap. i speak from experience not just from looking at manuals and theory. if you have any Q's call derrick as CS or hit me up on AIM. And yes derrick does kno what he is talking about. i've been going to them since 98 and haven't had any problems. of course it does help living 5 mins away. but anyways. hope this helps.
        Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
        FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
        Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

that should save some trouble with smog, via the OBD2, how is the GTX motor "tail sniff" wise?

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
          Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

if you need an intercooler, PM me. I'm selling my spearco. The core is 16"x6"x3.5". I'm upgrading to bit bigger core 24"x10"x3.5".

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
            Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

really... well guzzyla posted in the "top 5 mods" that they had a bpt in a second gen... but it's not working yet.

-tim

Comment

i'll change my sig when the others get theirs up and running. =)

until then... well.. yea...

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

let me get this straight... it used to be on the forums (like protegetech) you'd always read "i need a faster car, what are my options?" and "i'm planning on swapping the ___ engine into my car, what do i need to do?" and stuff like that. yet, YOU'RE the only gtx swap in the US? and bruce is the first one to go from a 1.5 to a 1.8 non-turbo? i thought i was a little late when i decided to 'jump on the band wagon' and actually do a swap. i guess the bpt swap was only popular with the 1st gen and mx-3 crowd. don't worry, even if i get my engine up and running, you'll still be the only gtx swap in the US. i think i heard that there was some other guy in toronto who did a gtr swap into a 2nd gen...but in anycase, i don't mind being the first or last. I JUST WANT THIS THING TO WORK! *CLUNK*

-tim
                  Last edited by PseudoR; 11-15-2003, 11:11 PM.

Comment

if you have any probs don't hesitate to ask. give CS a call too. Chris the mechanic there has a plethera of knowledge.

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                    Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PseudoR
                      i think i heard that there was some other guy in toronto who did a gtr swap into a 2nd gen...
                      -tim
                      Yeah, www.a-spec.ca has done a couple...
                      They are also KLZE pros! (not that that fits in the 2gen or anything)

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                      1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                      Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

shoot, I have my damn turbo sitting in my closet.
                        I am about to sell me sony camera--being as I got a 4mp for free.
                        Then I will get my hands on the oil lines, the blow off valve and the pipping.
                        I have been trying to find out who can make a downpipe for me, but I reach nothing but dead ends. That may be my only hold up, But a local friend may know someone that can help me.

-------------------

It really doesn't matter who is the 1st or the last to do swaps. We just need someone to bring everything out in the open.. And not be stingy with the info. Anyone wanting to know anything about my swap can ask... hell if I have to I will take pictures.

Anyone doing a swap, I wish you the best of luck..

Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                          downpipe or manifold?
                          I need a downpipe. I already have a manifold..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yea i kinda agree there Bruce. To me its all about showing the world proteges can be effectively modified. Maybe when enough of them get to a good point our friends at greddy, apex and so on will start finally supporting the mazda protege line. Or axela from now on.
                            sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately we didn't take pics of the engine swap. SO good looking for Bruce. I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

Like i said before if ya want all the pros and cons of swapping the GTX, PM me or call corksport. Derrick would be more than helpful on telling you everything if you are seriously considering the swap.

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                              Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

any progress with this...
                                pics , info,, anything...

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...