No announcement yet.

Lowering my 98 Protege...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alright, so i saw a stock protege yesterday and compared it to mine. i am definately lower. guess its not what im used to.

squeekster, when these tires ware out i was planning on upping the side wall, so that will help the gap... later on when i need it.

on another note, squeekster what MPG are you getting from your protege?
    Last edited by tylordurben; 04-04-2007, 06:16 AM.
    check it out...
    http://www.yarilswork.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tylordurben View Post
      yeah, i understand that. i even rechecked the box to make sure it had the correct part number. what can i do? i was really hoping to loose some of that wheel gap. are my tire size "correct" 195 60R14?

I think thats ok size. OEM i think is 185/65/14, Since you got the 195 in there it is compensated with a thinner wall. What gets me is that if its suppose to be 2.5 inch lowered then it looks like its only an inch. I have a size 15 wheel right now (sold my new wheel tire after showing my car at HIN). The wheel gap is still exactly the same when i got the 17s in there.

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

Originally posted by txmzdspd2gen View Post
        I think thats ok size. OEM i think is 185/65/14, Since you got the 195 in there it is compensated with a thinner wall. What gets me is that if its suppose to be 2.5 inch lowered then it looks like its only an inch. I have a size 15 wheel right now (sold my new wheel tire after showing my car at HIN). The wheel gap is still exactly the same when i got the 17s in there.
        could ya do me a favor and post a current pic of your car. a side shot with good lighting would be perfect, then i can compare to what i have going on, or e-mail it to me. Thanks!
        check it out...

Comment

Hey guys ! I'm looking to do the same thing but with stock part on the rear. The front was changed last summer. I was new to mazda's so didn't want to do it myself but now, i think i'd give it a try.

After the workshop i went to charged me 600$ to change my front suspension on both sides (Springs and struts), I wanted to cry.

I got air tools but not the specific tool to work with the spring. Do you think this will matter? How can I go around that?.

I'd still like to lower it. I guess, i'd just need 4 springs and 2 struts (Rear).

Thanks for helping

Maverick

Comment

Originally posted by tylordurben View Post
            alright, so i saw a stock protege yesterday and compared it to mine. i am definately lower. guess its not what im used to.

squeekster, when these tires ware out i was planning on upping the side wall, so that will help the gap... later on when i need it.

on another note, squeekster what MPG are you getting from your protege?
            im gettin a lil over 30 mpg. thats highway at 74ish mph often with couple people in the car. Thats also during the winter. Summer, i get around 34 - 35 milkin it.
            sigpic

Comment

maverick82, i think you will be very interested in this.

could have saved a lot of $$$ with these and do all your suspension rather than just the fronts.
              Last edited by beetle_orange; 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
              Mods:
              DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Thanks, but i did the front last year ... I just checked my bill and it says they only change the struts.

They installed (Monroe® Sensa-Trac®) on it.

Now the rear suspension is to do ... it's ratelling like crazy when i hit bumps.

I guess, I could just buy 4 new springs and only the 2 rear struts.

My question is, is it hard to change ? Can anyone post a step by step.

Maverick

Comment

Would this work ?

Maverick

Comment

Originally posted by maverick82 View Post
                    thats what i bought for my 98.
                    check it out...

Comment

Nice. But I don't want all 4 lol I already had the front ones changed last summer. I just wanted to buy the 4 springs you got and 2 rear struts.

Even if I buy all 4, it's still gona be cheaper than having someone do it.

I just don't have a spring compressor and wondering if it's going to be hard without it.

Maverick

Comment

Originally posted by maverick82 View Post
                        I just don't have a spring compressor and wondering if it's going to be hard without it.
                        you could rent one from advanced or autozone, they do that by my house.
                        check it out...

Comment

I'm in Montreal, Qc... we don't have autozones here and it sucks. lol

Maverick

Comment

quick update... i didnt like the ride height so i jacked up the car the other day and cut a coil off the front springs. it went another 3/4" lower, now its starting to look better. maybe this week ill cut one off the rear springs. ill post a pic later, maybe when i do the rear.
                            check it out...

Comment

What was the total drop with the new springs you had installed? They were advertised as 2.25 right? what were they actually. Im playing around with the idea of dropping my car. I've actually started a new thread in this sub-group.
                              sigpic

Comment

i am starting to believe that it did drop the car from stock height almost 2", i think it took a while for the springs and shocks to settle cause it did get a bit lower than when i first put it on. i wasn't satisfied so i cut 1 coil from the bottom of the front springs, thats the larger loops not the tighter ones on top.

pics...

stock (only pic i have)

first day with springs and shocks

one coil cut up front (notice i fixed the side view mirror, found one at the junk yard for 15 bucks, i know its not a 98 side view but it fit the bill)
                                Last edited by tylordurben; 08-26-2007, 12:33 PM.
                                check it out...

Comment

Working...
                                X