No announcement yet.

Eduardo's 99 Protege LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics of the muffler I installed some months ago.
    sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Update!!!!

The car's almost finished! Here are some pics of it's progress;

Painted today
      sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Lookin good
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Thanks. I wonder if they'll call me tomorrow to pick it up :D I truly hope so!
          sigpic My cardomain

Comment

looks nicely repaired!
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
              looks nicely repaired!
              Yep. It's good to have your best friend work in an auto body shop. Still no word when I can go pick it up. Oh well.

P. S. I'm loving the new look of the forums, great job you're doing!
              sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Got the car yesterday, and it's better than when I purchased it. I already have a new present for it, a new steering wheel cover lol!
                sigpic My cardomain

Comment

well damn, post some pics !!! geez lol
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Nice, you have come a long way with the car.

I hope you keep it clean and don't go the all out flashy look.

Comment

I'm so pissed off since last night. The f*****g timing belt broke @ 11:30pm while my dad was driving it. Replacement belts are a POS, didn't even make it to 20k miles. What a way to start 2010, w TWO broken cars. The other one is down since Nov. 15, the day "The big flood" happened here. Diagnostic, bent connecting rods, and now the Mazda too.
                      sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Update:

Upon closer inspection, the timing belt is fine, whew! It's now either the crank or cam sensor, since there's no spark in the coils. And the crappy haynes manual I have isn't very helpful either. I get reference voltage on the cam sensor connector, but no resistance on the sensor itself, and on the crank sensor I get 600 ohms on it, and roughly 0.8-9V on the connector plug, so I'm not sure wtf went wrong here.
                        sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Bought the cam sensor today. As the sales person told me, it's a really common problem w modern Mazdas. I also returned the wrongly dispatched brake rotors and got a credit for them that I applied it for the sensor, so I only paid $43 for it, half of what it retailed Hope this solves my problem.
                          sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Installed early in the morning the cam sensor and the #1 spark plug, cranked the engine again, and zero, not firing up. I also noticed that it sounded kinda funny. A compression test showed me barely 90 psi, so I immediately removed the valve cover and I found this;

My first guess was correct, unfortunately.
                            Some pics of my progress.

Before 3:00pm the cylinder head was off. We didn't notice any bent valves. Dad and I headed for our favorite machine shop to have the head inspected just to be sure. After a pressure test, they were all fine! It will receive new seals, valve and seat reconditioning and a through cleaning. It will be ready this Monday. I'll be $140 poorer, and the parts I'll need will add up even more to the sum.
                            sigpic My cardomain

Comment

just slap another belt on it quick & keep running it. but please for the love of god. put a quart of ATF in your oil 3 oil/1ATF & do that for the next 5 oil changes.
                              look @ a low deposit oil too

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                                just slap another belt on it quick & keep running it. but please for the love of god. put a quart of ATF in your oil 3 oil/1ATF & do that for the next 5 oil changes.
                                look @ a low deposit oil too
                                I noticed that oil varnish the first time I changed the valve cover gasket when I got the car. It's previous owner was a college student (as evidenced by some papers I found laying inside the trunk) and the oil wasn't changed as often. I've been changing it between 3-5k miles max w either full synthetic or blended, That crap is all good and gone by now, but thanks for the tip!
                                sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Working...
                                X