Jeffs MSP GTR Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horsepower Rating: 380 HP / Torque Capacity: 378 ft/lbs
    think it would actually hold anywhere near this? Im probably 100hp off those numbers now, but it would be nice to know i have some headroom for the future.

also is the KL release bearing used in the setup or should i just pick up a new egt one?

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
    2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
    Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

KL release bearing and pilot bearing swap over, I run the F1 clutch kit as well, but they're "ok" I just wouldn't trust putting over 300whp on one since they're so damn inexpensive..makes me think about quality control with prices like that!

I'm around 180whp on the Miata stage 3, and there's no issues with it, even on HOT days...although the Miata release bearing will not interchange.
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

picked up a tokico illumina setup from jacek. has a set of msp springs with a bit of the spring trimmed from the front.

should be interesting to see how it looks/handles as my car is so high in the front right now with the stock springs/10 year old tokico blues.

the illuminas have 5 settings. im going to try the rears on 5 to start and just play with the fronts mostly. if 5 in the rear is too stiff i can always go back and adjust them, just have to remove interior piece to get to em.

you adjust them from the top with a flat head sd. pretty simple.

also picked up the rear 2007 mazda6 rotors/pads/calipers. did not go with the speed6s as I have 2 good sets of winter wheels that wont fit qith the speed6 brakes and I do not race or anything so it just seemed like a bunch of rotational weight/inconvenience for no reason.

i believe the newer mazda6 caliper is of a better design from what others have been posting. will have to wait and see, I just hope they last 3-5 years instead of 1-2.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)

Comment

what size are those rotors??? vs the mazda 6 ones
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

as far as I know all 626/mazda6/msp rotors are the same 280mm.

from what i understand the 03-05 mazda6 calipers are better than the msp calipers, and the 06-something calipers (that I have pictured above) are the best of the 3.

I have never used em so I have no real data, just going by what I read online.

the speed6s are biggest, however require larger wheels so they dont work with my winter wheels and they are heavy as F*ck and would probably do nothing but slow me down unless I was actually in some sort of racing environment that lasts longer than a few laps of the track.

Comment

curious why the calipers are better overall.
              more pad surface? or just because it fixes the sticking Ebrake??
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

kind of wish i didnt bother with them now.
                side by side they are hardly any difference than the 03 msp rear aside from the ebrake cables no longer being able to work which kinda sucks.
                maybe i can play around with the brackets to make the stock cables work but so far this seems to be a bit of a waste of time.

only pros for the swap so far has been price/availability.

going to screw around with the brackets later in the week and see if i can make something work with the stock ebrake cables.
                Last edited by vtec-this; 06-17-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

illuminas are installed. wow what a difference compared to 10 year old stock msp setup.

would be great to drive a stock msp back to back to get a comparison. (rear on setting 5, fronts on setting 3). It just digs in and holds on great around tight corners. Might be a bit too much of a difference between front and back settings on a high speed race course, but for around town it just makes me have a big smile.

The car is hardly lower with the modded front springs, but enough that it did make a slight difference in ride height. Im happy it didnt go too low as I drive the car year round.
                  Last edited by vtec-this; 06-17-2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                    hey sorry about not replying about the clutch info, I'd go with South Bend clutches, they have some serious hardware for serious numbers and full face friction disk too!

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/html/626.html
                    I'll have to 'concurrr" with jack on the southbend,I hated to pay out for it,but got a stage 3 S//S clutch for the gtx.I got it from the mx6 site used but in very good cond.
                    I don't think they advertise that set up any more,or just throw in the heavier plate as a no option,full faced,2 different fric. surfaces ,if i'm not mistaken now.full burn uphill climbs no issues.I'll shudup now.

Comment

no need to shudup

added a 12" slim fan to complement my existing 10" slim fan. Coolant temps do not exceed 190F now even in bumper to bumper traffic, 30C degree summer heat

this should cure the overheating on the dyno.

New F1 stage 3 6 puck clutch is ordered . It is supposed to handle up to 380 flywheel hp, 370 twist, and is a 2.5L KL clutch. Hoping it works out on the dyno.

Nothing else really holding me back. Going to install an new relay for the dual fans to clean things up a bit under the hood but other than installing the new clutch when it gets here theres nothing stopping me from a high boost pull on the dyno

Comment

anxious for updates!!

Comment

got tired of looking at a VC with oil around the edges so I put a fresh coat of Princess Auto's finest on the VC with a new gasket and ultra copper sealant on all the 90s. should take care of the occasional oil drips ive been tolerating over the last few seasons.

Last edited by vtec-this; 06-29-2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

new K and N KL 2.5 v6 oil filter and 2.5 KL v6 stage 3 6 puck F1 racing clutch. now i gotta find the time to install and do a break in for 500 miles

Comment

It's not an organic clutch, just slip it when you move the vehicle, and you're done
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

its personal opinion for non organic clutch discs. so what makes you feel comfortable. but most of all.... enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X