My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
    Also, I may need a new clutch, either that or I was getting 4th gear wheel spin. I have gobs of torque,an open diff, the roads are frozen, and the car is on summer tires, so this is likely.
    this makes me smile lol hopefully it was just wheel spin though

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

awesome!!!!! so sick, glad it's running now!! I can't wait to see videos haha so awesome
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Alright, I figured out the boost problem. I drove it nicely till it warmed up the last time, and I forgot to check pending DTC codes. I reset everything while warm this time and got full boost for a minute or two, then got a speed sensor code, the engine knows the car is moving, this cuts the boost in half. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it yet, I may have to wire the trans computer in after all. I have another crazy idea I will try first.
        You might not need to... Look at wiring diagrams... Its possible its set up like a KLDE... The speed sensor sends an A/C sign wave signal to the gauge cluster... The gauge cluster converts the signal for your speedo and then out puts it as a digital signal to what ever modules need it...

It might be possible the TCM does this instead on with the KJ stuff.... If thats the case having the gauge cluster send out the speed signal might work...

You just need to look at the wiring diagrams and see where vss signal is sent to first...

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
          You might not need to... Look at wiring diagrams... Its possible its set up like a KLDE... The speed sensor sends an A/C sign wave signal to the gauge cluster... The gauge cluster converts the signal for your speedo and then out puts it to what ever modules need it...

It might be possible the TCM does this instead on with the KJ stuff.... If thats the case having the gauge cluster send out the speed signal might work...

You just need to look at the wiring diagrams and see where vss signal is sent to first...
          You are correct, it doesn't need the TCM to read speed, it comes from the cluster on the Millenias. I would try that first, but my speedo doesn't work, as the ABS sensors are dead. I'll wire it up that way once I get new sensors. On a side note, the spedometer did read about 200km/hr for a brief period while idling today.
          sigpic
          1992 Familia GT-X
          1988 323 GTX
          2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

The KJ vss connector did get deleted from the harness since I planned to use the P5 harness for the speedo

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              The KJ vss connector did get deleted from the harness since I planned to use the P5 harness for the speedo
              Yeah, I had a look for the wiring, I figured it was gone. Easier to use the P5 stuff anyway. The ABS sensor you put in is bad however.
              sigpic
              1992 Familia GT-X
              1988 323 GTX
              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I had a feeling it was bad when the speedo still didn't work lol I got it from the junkyard so it was a gamble to begin with

Comment

Just a quick thought, would it help if you had some of the electronics off the auto trans?? I still have the auto from the millenia

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                    Just a quick thought, would it help if you had some of the electronics off the auto trans?? I still have the auto from the millenia
                    Nah, don't need it. It's just solenoids, a temperature sensor, and a turbine speed sensor. I can just put resistors across the TCM output so it thinks the solenoids are all working, crank position signal mimics the turbine speed sensor ideally, and the temp sensor is easy enough.
                    sigpic
                    1992 Familia GT-X
                    1988 323 GTX
                    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Ok fair enough lol

Comment

You are correct, it doesn't need the TCM to read speed, it comes from the cluster on the Millenias. I would try that first, but my speedo doesn't work, as the ABS sensors are dead. I'll wire it up that way once I get new sensors. On a side note, the spedometer did read about 200km/hr for a brief period while idling today.
                        Sounds kind of odd to be using the ABS sensors for your speed signal... Does the milli not use a VSS sensor off the transmissiong for speed signal?? I'd figure with your 5 speed it'd be easier to swap out the dead VSS and make sure its wired to the gauge cluster and working right....

Nah, don't need it. It's just solenoids, a temperature sensor, and a turbine speed sensor. I can just put resistors across the TCM output so it thinks the solenoids are all working, crank position signal mimics the turbine speed sensor ideally, and the temp sensor is easy enough.
                        The crank position signal may kind of work... The milli TCM might use the input speed signal to confirm the transmission is shifting correctly... If it doesn't see the proper change in input speed when the shift was commanded it could set gear ratio error codes... If it does this it might set the TCM into limp mode which may tell the ecm to limit boost...

I say that it might do all this because not all TCM's for all cars are programed this way... But a lot are... I spent 7 years doing transmission re and re and diagnostics.. I have seen a lot of that kind of stuff and its not related to just one manufacture... You'll just have to try what you are doing and see what happens....

Comment

The p5 uses the ABS sensors for its speed signal stock, the signal coming from the cluster is the same as the millennia.

I know for certain that if I end up hooking the TCM up, the crank position sensor can be used as the turbine speed signal, as that's been done by probe guys doing maf conversions using the milly pcm.
                          sigpic
                          1992 Familia GT-X
                          1988 323 GTX
                          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

So today I wired the cam position sensor up to the speed sensor, that got rid of my vss code, and gives me full boost all the time. I have some bogging under heavy acceleration when hot, but that's not a big deal, it's standard common Millenia problems now, a tune up should fix that. I'm trusting it enough to drive it to work tomorrow. The clutch is definitely slipping, I'm hoping it's just rusty from sitting for a while, so I'll take it easy on it for a while and see if it gets better.
                            sigpic
                            1992 Familia GT-X
                            1988 323 GTX
                            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

congrats! Glad to hear you were able to fix the issue!!! video next?
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

^^x2 exactly what I was thinking lol

Comment

Working...
                                X