No announcement yet.

My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still waiting on the OBDII connector, I'm sure it will arrive early in the week. In the mean time I have been looking into some performance upgrades for the KJ. I was on this Millenia forum, and almost every thread was engine problem related. Ha, that scared me a bit. Anyway, no one has done much to these engines yet. I might try some KLDE cams to get rid of the miller cycle, but that's about it. I also had a thought of what I'll do if and when I experience any catastrophic engine failure. I'll be looking for a 2002 Miata VVT BP. 4WD? Shouldn't be TOO hard with parts I already have, so maybe.
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

The OBDII connector just arrived. Pulled 5 codes. I'll fix them all, but I'll try to get it to run first.

Codes:
      P0105 - MAP/BARO Circuit Malfunction
      P1601 - TCM Comm error
      P0450 - Evap emission control system pres sensor fault
      P1455 - Fuel gauge sender and circuit malfunction
      P0306 - cylinder 6 misfire

One of these is sending the car into limp mode. I suspect 0105, although from what I've found, millennias can throw this code and still drive.

Also, I'm retarded, the P5 connector would have worked all along. Shouldn't have wired it up drunk with my buddy at 3am last time.
      sigpic
      1992 Familia GT-X
      1988 323 GTX
      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Glad to hear it arrived, it doesn't sound too bad to fix at least

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

glad to hear you got some start to a resolve going.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

just read that swapping the cams would get rid of the "miller cycle" explain that please
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
              just read that swapping the cams would get rid of the "miller cycle" explain that please
              miller cycle is all about the cams

In the Miller cycle, the intake valve is left open longer than it would be in an Otto cycle engine. In effect, the compression stroke is two discrete cycles: the initial portion when the intake valve is open and final portion when the intake valve is closed. This two-stage intake stroke creates the so called "fifth" stroke that the Miller cycle introduces. As the piston initially moves upwards in what is traditionally the compression stroke, the charge is partially expelled back out the still-open intake valve. Typically this loss of charge air would result in a loss of power. However, in the Miller cycle, this is compensated for by the use of a supercharger.
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

thank you for the memory refresh i had forgotten what the situation was with the miller cycle

Comment

I can't find any reference to anyone actually doing it, but theoretically, it should be that easy. The cams are physically the same size, KL heads have been proven to bolt to the KJ block as well. No one has run them yet, but a guy on Probetalk is experimenting with a KJ block running Hayabusa pistons, trying to get 12k+ rpm. He mentioned the head interchangeably.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I have a spare set of DE cams in my garage collecting dust if your interested?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks, I got 2 DEs in my back shop/barn thing however. I'll let you know though, but don't hang on to them for me.
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
                        Still waiting on the OBDII connector, I'm sure it will arrive early in the week. In the mean time I have been looking into some performance upgrades for the KJ. I was on this Millenia forum, and almost every thread was engine problem related. Ha, that scared me a bit. Anyway, no one has done much to these engines yet. I might try some KLDE cams to get rid of the miller cycle, but that's about it. I also had a thought of what I'll do if and when I experience any catastrophic engine failure. I'll be looking for a 2002 Miata VVT BP. 4WD? Shouldn't be TOO hard with parts I already have, so maybe.

in case you blow the v6.

is there much headroom with the stock airflow programming or do you think you will peg the maf voltage limit if you push it?
                        Last edited by vtec-this; 01-04-2012, 11:29 PM.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
                        2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
                        Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

I'm hoping there will be enough headroom with the stock ECU, I'm not sure. A KL ECU with a piggy back would be an option, we'll see. Not even sure on this yet, still on the drawing board.

I've seen that Miata engine on there before, thanks for the link. I'm hoping he comes down in price.
                          sigpic
                          1992 Familia GT-X
                          1988 323 GTX
                          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Anyone well versed in OBDII? I know the 2002+ Mazdas have an extra wire on the OBDII port, they can also transmit the vin, is that what the extra wire is for? I'm thinking for easy emissions, run both the p5 ECU, and the KJ; the p5 simply to transmit the vin, the KJ for everything else.
                            sigpic
                            1992 Familia GT-X
                            1988 323 GTX
                            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
                              Anyone well versed in OBDII? I know the 2002+ Mazdas have an extra wire on the OBDII port, they can also transmit the vin, is that what the extra wire is for? I'm thinking for easy emissions, run both the p5 ECU, and the KJ; the p5 simply to transmit the vin, the KJ for everything else.
                              I am quiet well versed with emissions stuff here and OBDII stuff... I believe emissions testing and regulations are different over here though...

Usually if there is another com wire its not used just to transmit the vin.... Some cars seperate how you comunicate with ABS/Air bags from ECU/PCM stuff... I'd have to look up wiring diagrams to know for sure....

What kind of emissions testing are you trying to pass??? Whats the requirments??

Comment

Welp, finally got a bit of time off to look at things, she runs nicely now. Rigged up an old EGR boost sensor in place of the map sensor, that did the trick. Soldering wires and tying up loose ends tomorrow afternoon. Vid to follow.
                                sigpic
                                1992 Familia GT-X
                                1988 323 GTX
                                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X